Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I should have been clearer on my description of foliage removal. I didn't mean they had removed all the trees and everything. IMHO it was ok to remove the Kudzu and other obnoxious vines but I think they should have left the Palmentto and other bushes between the sites.

Our next trip will be in October

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some people do not like to see native plantings and consider then messy or trash plants. Palmetto is a Sable Palm and is the only palm native to Texas. Yaupon is also a native privit which people plant into hedges. The yaupon readily trims and trains to shrubs. The beauty of native plants is they can survive in local climate with temperature, wet, dry, and bugs.

I would hope that Disney has hired some grounds keeps with a hint of native plant knowledge.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disney World is a master when it comes to Horticulture as you can readily see when you enter any of the parks and other facilities of WDW.

They even have Aspen trees, which are quite removed from Florida's evnironment, growing at Wilderness Lodge.

I'm sure they will come up with something to replace what they removed between the sites, I hope
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #18

I've camped at FW for 30 years. Things change. I was upset when they removed the old Steam Train but I still came back. It still is the best deal you can find for the money. I've spent more and got less at other places. They are widening most of the sites but I always got into whatever I had. I was there in April just after they cleaned out all the underbrush and I also missed the privacy but on the other hand I have always had great neighbors there. I think the atmosphere of the place makes everyone more friendly. I like to talk to people who like to talk to about their rigs or dogs or kids/grandkids and the place is full of people like that.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #19

There is no intention by WDW to take away from the privacy enjoyed in
the past.
The Palmetto Palms still exist though some may have been cut back. In Florida foests these are the weeds and homes to alotof bugs. WDW is spraying less to not at all because of complaints by a few of alergies to insectacides (bug buggers).
It will eventually all grow back with additional planting.
Many of the planned improvments have not happend as of yet. Money for the campground is tight. Campers even today are not considerd big spenders or purchasers of vacation club memberships.
The head of all the Disney resorts started his career with the beginning of FT WILDERNESS in 1971.
Present management does thier best with what is given them. In the past few years requests for additional sites and improvements have been denied by county goverment.
There is a new 4-Seasons time-share property going up ajacent to the campground. This will make a big difference infuture operations.
Money allotment comes and goes and some things here at WDW never change.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
ET

The largest sites in Fort Wilderness are in Loop 700 which is a Premiere Pet Loop. In the past year we've been to FW 5 times using Loop 300, Loop 800 and Loop 700. I would suggest that when asked mention that you have a rig over 42 feet which will help get you into Loop 700. We've enjoyed our stays their but have no desire to return during this next year. The picture you see of us with our Westie's was taken there as well!