Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Just spent Mother's Day weekend at Fort Wilderness and sure was disappointed at them for removing all the foliage in between the campsites.

No more privacy, there never was a whole lot but now there is none.

Ron

Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Just spent Mother's Day weekend at Fort Wilderness and sure was disappointed at them for removing all the foliage in between the campsites.

No more privacy, there never was a whole lot but now there is none.

Ron

Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Other than the lack of foliage, how was your experience camping there? My husband and I have been wanting to go to Disney World for quite a while. I thought it would be one of the first places we went once we hit the road as full-timer's last year, but we haven't made it yet. Just tonight I was thinking about it again and wondering what the campground is like. I'm hoping we can go this spring.

Jo
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Ron,

You might want to consider adding a review of Fort Wilderness to our Campground Reviews section.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Even without the foliage, the campground is worth the visit.... I've known folks to visit FW and never go to the Disney parks.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've heard the sites are very tight and some rigs may have a problem backing in. Is this true or are some of the sites suitable for large rigs such as a 40 ft MH?

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were there for our first visit this past November. While some of the sites are tight, we had no problems and saw many, many 40 - 45' rigs in several of the loops. I understand they are upgrading some loops to more easily accomodate larger RV's. As has been previously stated, it is a neat place to stay. You cannot beat the convenience to Magic Kingdom (just a short boat ride from Fort Wilderness) and you can easily and quickly drive to all the other Disney parks (or use their buses). I also understand they are adding (or have added) a fenced dog park if you might be interested in that.

Bottom line, if you RV and will be visiting Disney, you really should try Fort Wildnerness at least once. We certainly look forward to going back.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #8

I agree, FW is the place to stay if going to DW. It makes for easy rest stops for young and old to go back to the camper and eat and rest between visits to the parks. Well worth the extra cost of staying there. That said, we started camping there in the early 70's with our kids and it was much better then. They had the train that went around the CG, petting farm, activities for the kids and adults at night and etc. While they have added many camp sites, the reduction in activities, to me is sad and a shame. As much money as they make, it seems they could increase the activities rather than decrease them. Also, add me to ones who stay in the CG rather thay go to the parks (only go if the Grandson wants me to). Still a nice place to camp s/Toby
Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also understand they are adding (or have added) a fenced dog park if you might be interested in that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is complete, its located near the 300 loop.

Some nice upgrades rumored to happen by the end of the year or early next year including a pool upgrade.

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a large coach, about 5 days before you arrive, you must call FW and ask them for a easy back in site. They should be able to accomodate you. Tell them this at the time of your reservation. Unfortunately, their clerks are not noted for reading the comments in the reservation form. This is why one needs to call. An easy back in site will, with some caution, accomodate a 40' and up coach. I have found the site to be olay for entering and exiting. The narrow loop roads with trees right at the pavement is what makes entry and exit a challenge.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's good to hear FW is upgrading, or has upgraded some of to accomodate big rigs. I've backed into some pretty tight sites but I've always heard that some of the sites at FW can really be a challenge so that is good news about the upgrades. Actually, what I find the most challenging is someone parked on the street blocking your departure and they are nowhere in sight. Loads of fun.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #12

We are planning to be at the Fort for two weeks in October. We have booked one of the new sites which are listed as Premium Sites. They are suppose to be made larger to accommodate the larger RV's. Even with that said we didn't have too much trouble getting into our site with our old 38' fifth wheel.

In our opinion, it's the only way to visit Disney.

Shaun and Amy

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CheetahGirl:
Other than the lack of foliage, how was your experience camping there?
Jo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jo,

Don't get me wrong, Fort Wilderness is GREAT place to camp. We have camped there every year since it opened and will continue camping there. We have camped in tents, pop ups, and now a motor home and have always enjoyed the CAMPGROUND of all campgrounds. It's just that I miss the seclusion that more foliage offered.

They do now have a dog park that your dog can run freely in. I don't know if they have more than one, but we had to walk about a 1/4 mile to get to the one that was the closest to our campsite. I'm sure they will make more.

Enjoy your camping,

Ron
Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #14

The foliage is still there. What is missing are the non indiginous vines and plants. These plants have gradualy smutherd the real Florida veriaties. Government incentives are helping to irradicate the south American and Australian veriaties through out Florida.
It won't be long and the original and newly plnted landscaping will grow back and naturaly add to privacy and ambiance of the fort.
There is only one dog park planned for FW.
The recent rains here at FW are helping things grow. You would not believe how healthy the weeds are.

MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote