Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Folks at DW say FW is full all of January but suggest I can call back every two days to see if there have been cancellations. While FW is convenient, when we were there last year, we drove to all the parks except Magic Kingdom (rode the boat). So, I don't mind staying elsewhere and driving in every day. My questions for you more seasoned DW/FW users:

1. what other good options are there other than the KOA in Kissimmee?

2. will we have to pay the parking fee every day even though we will have a 5-day park hopper pass? Do they offer similar 5-day parking passes at a savings?

3. with the current refurbishing of FW with the loss of some sites, what are the likely odds of getting a site at this point?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Folks at DW say FW is full all of January but suggest I can call back every two days to see if there have been cancellations. While FW is convenient, when we were there last year, we drove to all the parks except Magic Kingdom (rode the boat). So, I don't mind staying elsewhere and driving in every day. My questions for you more seasoned DW/FW users:

1. what other good options are there other than the KOA in Kissimmee?

2. will we have to pay the parking fee every day even though we will have a 5-day park hopper pass? Do they offer similar 5-day parking passes at a savings?

3. with the current refurbishing of FW with the loss of some sites, what are the likely odds of getting a site at this point?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

December, January and February will most likely NOT show cancellations untill the last minute.

There are so many changing economic conditions that no one from the front desk to central reservations has an idea of what to expect.

Floridians in general are staying closer to home and those already in Fort Wilderness are staying longer.
FORT WILDERNESS is one of the few places in the country catering to camping that has stayed full.

The best advice for booking reservations is to be relentliss. Don't give up or give in and make sure your phone number etc. Is on the list. Make sure they know you have previously called. Most of all make each call a Majical connection.

Parking is inclusive with a resort stay and or a seasonal or yearly pass. Your ticket alone does not include parking.

There has been little loss of exsisting sites. If a site has been absorbed it did not hold more than a tent in the first place. I had someone in reservations tell me that they took 3 sites to make 1 new Premium Site. Well that may have been what they where told but it has not happend.
Alot has not happend. Like ATT the prices have gone up and up.
Kissimmee KOA is one of the biggest rips on thier system.
Search parks on Highway 192 (Bronson Mem Hwy)Kissimmee to Hwy 27 and north of interchange.
There are many and all are nice.
Look the area up on GOOGLE Maps, you can check out the parks also.
Good Luck
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
MMouser:

Thanks for the feedback. You said to be relentless and make sure my number is on the list? DW folks clearly told me they do not maintain any cancellation list...I have to call them.

I did a search on campgroundreviews.com and the other listed RV parks in that general area do not get good reviews. You are correct that the Kissimmee KOA is pricey....it will cost nearly $500 to stay there 6 nights.

We went last year right after Thanksgiving...we may just do that again in 2009.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
smlranger,
Try Tropical Palms as an alternative to FW. I like it better and stay there often. Go here to see their web site.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have been going to visit the Mouse two or more times a year for the last 20 years. We have stayed in different campgrounds, Hotels, and vacation homes. We love the Fort and really wouldn't think about staying anyplace else. It's basically an extension of the Disney Experience.

You should have no problem getting into Fort Wilderness in January. you are probably having a hard time because you want too many contigous days. Problem is there are alot of locals who tend to make many weekend only resevations and then cancel when they decide not to go. Also, not all the sites are available on a specific date. Disney will open more campsites on a daily, monthly, or weekily basis. I have pieced a 17 day stay together across 5 different reservations. You just take what you can get at the time and keep calling back or visiting their webite for the remaining days you need. The absolute best forum and information source for WDW camping is this section on the DIS Boards.If your going to WDW I would highly recommend disboards.com for all and any information about WDW.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
MMouser:

Thanks for the feedback. You said to be relentless and make sure my number is on the list? DW folks clearly told me they do not maintain any cancellation list..

That is true, there is NO call in cancellation list.
Once you are registerd in a site there is a extension list.
This list has been more active than in the past.

MM: Once again continue to be relentless, call every day.
Central reservations does know who you are by your input and phone number and how many times you have called.
New C/S policies want ro get all issues resolved. Reserve at least one day within your peramiters than call dailey to expand or as previously mentioned connect your reservation.

I did a search on campgroundreviews.com and the other listed RV parks in that general area do not get good reviews. You are correct that the Kissimmee KOA is pricey....it will cost nearly $500 to stay there 6 nights.

MM: For us and the large group of FW regulars there is NO other place to be. If not FORT WILDERNESS, we will go to another destination location.
MM: TROPICAL PALMS is nice, it is not Disney and it is not our cup of tea. You are staying in Kissimmee and WDW is a location you will have to go too.
You are either contained in the Disney exspierience or you are not.

We went last year right after Thanksgiving...we may just do that again in 2009.

The idea is to make every moment a majical one. Any time you can get in is a good time.

MM: There are a few excellent sites that give WDW and other Theme Park information.
Remember DISNEY is DISNEY and no other infomation matters. Disney changes dailey and so do cast members. Ability to make things happen varies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do not pretend to know everything. I do know I am posting from my site at FW.
There is so much insider information availabe that eventually none of it makes sense. You can spend hours and hours researching.
In the end it is the call that matters. During that call remember to ask about discounts or give them the dicount codes you have found. All the sites will tell infomation about what is available and discounts that are working. They do not get reservations.
You may in many cases talk to a cast member who has been on the job for less than a week. Than again the person on the other end has been there twenty years and knows just what you want and how to get you a site.
A no today can be a yes, your next call.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote