Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Busses take on average 1 to 1.5 hrs longer to get to parks and back than your toad would.we always take a toad and our golf cart.
That sure wasn't our experiences with the buses, seldom took more than ten minutes to get to the various parks we were going to each day.

We spent six days there and never used our toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Busses take on average 1 to 1.5 hrs longer to get to parks and back than your toad...
Not sure i understand this statement and it is certainly not my experience. The buses run at frequent intervals and drop you right up close to the entrance of each park. If you drive your toad, you have to park - sometime way, way out, then catch the tram to the gate... Or walk a very long walk.

Anyway... To the OP. the first year we went we just took bicycles and we were fine. In subsequent years we've always taken our toad, but it mostly just sits at the campsite. It comes in handy if you need to run to Walmart for something... But that means getting out of the Disney Bubble. I hate getting out of the Bubble!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I can't see how you would need it... Be warned that a case of 24, 8oz. bottles water is $17.00.

That is exactly WHY you need the toad! Disney prices are horrendous! I live here, and normal prices are just minutes away off-site. Plus you say 6 out of 10 days ... what/where will the other 4 days be? And the whole International Drive area by Disney has some world class restaurants and entertainment

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #18

I gave up on debating the toad. I always take toad down anywhere I go. The best reason you've been given is if you are stranded on the road and say you need a part to fix something...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
That sure wasn't our experiences with the buses, seldom took more than ten minutes to get to the various parks we were going to each day.

Always take your toad. It takes longer than 10 minutes in Ft Wilderness to get from you site to the front area to wait for a bus to go to another park. Hour minimum to go park to park on the buses. From the Fort the boats are the quickest to Mickey.

Dave
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I gave up on debating the toad. I always take toad down anywhere I go. The best reason you've been given is if you are stranded on the road and say you need a part to fix something...
I doubt that we would need the toad if our trip was only to Disney, but the ability to help yourself in a breakdown is the best reason to tow.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You're no more than a one or two minute walk to a bus stop from any site within Ft Wilderness.

At slower times the transportation schedules are adjusted accordingly (fewer buses running). We always planned our visits for the slower times. We found it would generally take an hour to get to the theme parks, door to gate, taking internal transportation, a bit less if going to the Magic Kingdom. It's all timing.

You have to pick up an internal bus from your camping loop to the main bus transportation hub out near the check in area. From there you'll catch a second bus to take you to your choice of theme park for the day. It can be a 15 minute wait, depending on your timing, at each stop. Depending on where you are within the park the bus will probably be making multiple stops as it makes its way to the Reception outpost station.

Our average time, door to gate, when we drove ourselves was about 1/2 hour. You may have to walk a long way, if you get parked on the far end of a row, from your car to get the tram. During particularly slow times, you may have to wait a bit for the tram.

If you're going to hop between theme parks on the same day, you'll loose any advantage to taking your own car.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #22

Thank you all! This has all been very helpful. I think from the perspective of a break down scenario.... we will bring our coach. Seems like a good philosophy to have when RV'ing long distances (NJ to FL). At times, I think its an inconvenience to bring the toad when there is transport available... but all it takes is to use it once and all the doubt goes away, besides thats why we bought the toad so why not use it... Thanks for reminding me!
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunde01 View Post

Always take your toad. It takes longer than 10 minutes in Ft Wilderness to get from you site to the front area to wait for a bus to go to another park. Hour minimum to go park to park on the buses. From the Fort the boats are the quickest to Mickey.

Dave
The boats are really neat too.

As for always take your toad....we NEVER leave home without it.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had toads for over 20 years and never had anything that took 1 mpg off the mileage. I don't think there is 1/4 mpg difference with the toad.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #25

$17.00 for a case of water, another Disney RIP OFF !

CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad