Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Fort Wilderness, naked without a toad?

I know there are tons of transportation to the parks... those of you who have taken their toads, did you use it at all? Those of you who did not take their toad... did you miss it? I just booked a 10 day trip with 6 days full access to the parks (we have 2 boys, 7 & 10), is it more convenient to use the toad than the public transport. We will def bring bikes with us.. thanks for the responses.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #2

Its always better to have and not need rather than need and not have! And it only will cost you a gal a mile to have the security to know you have done all you can do...

Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

I worry more about needing it on the road in case of a breakdown than in the park.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

I was impressed last year with transportation at the park.....buses run constantly.....boat every half hour to disney....dont believe a toad is needed unless you are visiting other parks besides the mouse house. ?.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Its always better to have and not need rather than need and not have! And it only will cost you a gal a mile to have the security to know you have done all you can do...
a gallon per mile to tow.... that doesnt sound right? We are from NJ and about 2000 miles round trip. I do love to have the tow... it might be an addiction to have it at all times... trying to draw a line, tough to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I worry more about needing it on the road in case of a breakdown than in the park.
You have a good point here... in general speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcopters View Post
I was impressed last year with transportation at the park.....buses run constantly.....boat every half hour to disney....dont believe a toad is needed unless you are visiting other parks besides the mouse house. ?.
How long are the walks on average to the bus/boat stops, 5-10 minute walks?
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

take it if you need to go to the grocery store or just want to run and pick something up to eat
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcopters View Post
x2. Can't imagine not having a car when in the Disney area. Disney transport is superb but just try going somewhere off-premise without a motor, whether it be Universal, Sea World or even a bit further afield.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

gallon per mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
a gallon per mile to tow.... that doesnt sound right? We are from NJ and about 2000 miles round trip. I do love to have the tow... it might be an addiction to have it at all times... trying to draw a line, tough to do.
I think what he was saying, was if you get 8 mpg solo, you'll get about 7 mpg towing. Costing you about a gallon (of your mpg) to tow.

JMHO

GL Arnold
Old 02-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

We've been there half a dozen times and have taken the toad every time. That being said we never used it to go anywhere in the park. We always used Disney transportation and found it more than adequate. We rented a golf cart for transportation around Fort Wilderness.

The few times we flew down and rented a car in Orlando it was never used while we were at the park. It's far easier to catch a monorail or bus than spend hours fighting the traffic. The busses use proprietary routes so they're much quicker from place to place than a car.

We did use our car for occasional trips into Orlando to see other attractions or for running errands. Traffic was always terrible and quite frankly it was more enjoyable to stay in the park and leave the car at the campsite.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

I have always had my toad,this time just a golf cart not need in pulling that weight and not use it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I have always had my toad,this time just a golf cart not need in pulling that weight and not use it.
How do you get the cart down there?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

Busses take on average 1 to 1.5 hrs longer to get to parks and back than your toad would.we always take a toad and our golf cart.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #13

I can't see how you would need it. If you are going to the parks 6 days out of ten it will be easier to get to the parks with the buses or boats. If you took your car you would be parking in the parking lots and your long day on your feet will start when you get out of your car. The parking lots are huge. You will need to spend time in Fort Wilderness just to rest and explore that location. We never seem to leave the DW property. The only good reason to bring the toad is if you can't store much food in the MH and will need to go to the grocery. You can get groceries delivered but you can get the basics at the outpost or meadow trading posts in the Fort. Be warned that a case of 24, 8oz. bottles water is $17.00.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #14

If you want to go off Disney property, yes, take the toad.

Their bus system is about as good as it gets. They also run to Downtown Disney where you could spend a couple days checking everything out there.

Of all the times we have stayed on Disney property, we used our own vehicles once or twice.

All that said, I'm heading there this Friday. I just didn't have to time to complete my toad system for this trip. I probably would have taken the Aerostar because my mother really wanted to see a Christian themed attraction off campus and I was hoping she could do that this time. I guess we could take the coach there if they have ample parking.

Tags
toad