Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Fort Wilderness reservations??

Are reservations at Fort Wilderness absolutely needed for any time in late April/early May? We are heading from California to Florida in mid-late April. We'd prefer not to be hemmed in by reservations, and HAVING to be at a certain place on a certain date....but if at all necessary, we'd make reservations. Have a few questions, maybe someone can advise? This is our first trip to Florida!

1. We have a 40 ft 5th wheel. Are there enough campsites that would accommodate us?
2. We'd like to visit the Magic Kingdom and Epcot only. Having only been familiar with Disneyland which we've grown up going to, we know that Disneyworld is a lot larger. We are thinking the 4 day pass...2 days for Disney, 2 days for Epcot. Is this reasonable? It's just the 2 of us retired emptynesters😉

Any other recommendations?
Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #2

cant help with the fort ,but you will get caught up the the fun get a 6day ,u wont regret it
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Give them a call and see what reservations look like for the time you plan to be there. Since it's still school season spots may be more available. You might want to get the park hopper option and check out Animal Kingdom too.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I would say call Fort Wilderness and ask them but my guess is that reservations are needed. There are several nice campgrounds in the area that offer shuttles but it is nice to jump on the monorail or one of the other modes of transport and start your day. The only problem with a four day pass is that after two busy days of walking Disney, you might want a down day to relax before doing Epcot. Sea World is also worth a visit and there are many other fun things to do in the Orlando area.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

You will not be able to see it in 4 days maybe 6

My wife and I are also retired and have stayed in Fort Wilderness 3 times...It is wonderful down there but reservations are a must and a hopper pass is a necessity...One more recommendation I would make if time permits go to Universal Orlando...Its the best park and resort down there in my opinion...Have fun
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

Reservations are for sure a must. I booked 4 months out for our trip there this February and barley got a spot. There's a group fortfiends.net that has a wealth of information and travel agents who post on that site that can help you. I stayed in the 600 loop with my 38ft MH and had plenty of room.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

We live near Ft Wilderness and like to go there a lot. I would not waste my time showing up without reservations hoping to get lucky, especially coming from as far away as you are.

Call the reservation line for Disneyworld. Keep calling a couple of times a week and you may find something when there's a cancellation. You can also try online reservations
Old 03-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You absolutely want reservations for Ft Wilderness, regardless of the time of year, especially with a larger RV.

Parts of April are still spring break season and all of the Disney facilities will be very busy. Some of the less expensive resident passes are blacked out for much of April for just that reason.

Early May would probably be a bit better, in terms of crowds.

PS: Buy your tickets early so you can get familiar with the fastpass system and start making ride "reservations" before you even get here and definitely make any Disney dining reservations you may want as far in advance as you can (up to 6 months out if you have a reservation at any of the Disney resorts, including Ft Wilderness)
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Yes, reservations are a must, what I would do is plan on driving straight there to make your reservation then take your time going back home.

2 and 2 should be sufficient, but there's so much else, if nothing else make sure you can go to the Animal Kingdom for a day.

Book early and see if you can put your hands on a recent copy of the Birnbaum guide and the highest rated non official guide to Disney whose name escapes me. Both books are money very well spent.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I would suggest you call Hilda 302-598-8892. She has helped many of us on the iRV2 network. Is is the resident Fort Wilderness GURU
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #11

Fort Wilderness reservations??

Well, I just made reservations online for 6 nights at Ft. Wilderness and a 4 day park pass with apparently no problem! Everything got confirmed. Maybe our timing was right.,,after Spring Breaks, but before summer vacation? Woo hoo!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanded View Post
Well, I just made reservations online for 6 nights at Ft. Wilderness and a 4 day park pass with apparently no problem! Everything got confirmed. Maybe our timing was right.,,after Spring Breaks, but before summer vacation? Woo hoo!
Good deal. You won't be disappointed. Do you have a golf cart? Do you want one? If so you should try to reserve that before you go just in case they are out when you get there.

Do the magic fast pass as soon as you can. Really makes a difference.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:11 AM   #13

I'm not familiar with the need for a golf cart there! Please explain!😊
Old 03-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #14

Ok..I read up on the golf carts..great idea! Here's another question. I grew up with Disneyland less than an hour from my house in SoCal. So I'm familiar with the rides, fast pass, etc. For example, I've been on Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion rides, etc,many,many times over the years. For those who have been to both parks, are the rides identical? Or should we spend our time on things at Disneyworld that Disneyland does not have?