Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fort Wilderness - thanks for all the info

Many thanks for all the info from so many of you. Fort Wilderness this week, with 4 grand kids, has been GREAT. We got a premium spot ($90/day) and it is worth every penny. The grand kids were just recently at Disney World and we weren't sure about taking them to the parks again. Weather has been ugly, so we didn't. Great decision, tons of stuff to do anyway - pool with lots of activities, boat ride, monorail, campfire, sing alongs, outdoor movies, fireworks and more. Our site is only about 3 blocks from the marina - super for the little ones.

Strongly recommend the place.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Glad you are enjoying the Fort. I purchased my RV solely to go there. I am in South Florida and usually go up several times a month. I even purchased a Golf Cart to save on renting one.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Too funny. We are in our late 60s with 3 recently replaced knees between us and are well on the mend. In preparing and researching for our stay here, I tried to get a centrally located site. That is what is so funny - it doesn't matter. Without a golf cart, you are hoofing it or warming a roadside bus stop waiting on the shuttles. Didn't even consider not renting the golf cart. The golf cart makes getting around very easy. So the actually daily rate goes to $150 a day with the cart - still the best deal around for us and the kids.

So for my fellow vagabonds - rent the cart or as fotofx did - take it with you. Without it you are trading time walking or waiting for $62 per day. Easy call for us.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have reservations in mid November for just us two for 5 nights at a premium site. We still have not decided on a golf cart or not. Are they only used in the Ft. Wilderness area?

We also have been debating taking our toad or not. We will have one overnight stay in-route and back.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Fort Wilderness - thanks for all the info

Love the Fort and have been there each year for the past three years. First year did not take the toad, wish we had. Last two trips needed the toad just to roam around the area and loved it. Always rent the golf cart. Fort Wilderness is a pretty big park, the golf cart makes getting around much easier, at least that has been the case for us. Can hardly wait to go back.

Rubén to answer your question, the golf carts can only be used in the campground. I do not remember seeing any carts driving on local roads.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are now locals. We have spent about 6 weeks total there. We have not rented a golf cart but it sure would be fun. We have mobility scooters so getting around is easy in any case.

If you have a toad. Take it. Any break down along the way will give you solice. It is easier to jump in the toad and go to various parks at times. The Magic Kingdom is a nice boat ride.

If you can manage it, go to the Hoop De Do. Great food and an experience you will never forget.

If you want a to go meal that is outstanding, go to the Trails end which is where the bar is and get a family meal. Real reasonable and great food.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
reubenray - my 2 cents. We have 4 grandkids and 3 adults - 1 of the grandkids with a birthday while we are here. Relative to enjoying the park - primary conveyance has been the golf cart. It really is a gotta do with this crew. But taking all of the crew to Cirque du Soleil for the celebration - tough to do without the toad. Also, resupply at local stores is a gotta do as well (ventured to the local Walmart twice - I'll starve before I go back - a complete zoo). Everything on the Disney property is accessible from Fort Wilderness via boat to Magic Kingdom and then on to monorail. So if you are gonna stay on property, leave the toad.

Like I said, my two cents.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there room for my motorhome, car and golf cart at my site? Also where will I leave the golf cart if I drive it to boat landing, etc.?

Being we will only be there for 5 nights I was hoping to avoid the Walmart scene.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
There is golf cart parking at the boat shuttle. At most sites they have parking for car and golf cart
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

All of the campsites are set up on loops. A few of the loops have cabins on them the other are an assortment of different types of campsites. In the front of the park is a bus depot with transportation to all of the parks other then the Magic Kingdom, along with the waterparks, and Disney Springs.

In the back is the marina and settlement area with boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom, and the Contemporary. There are internal buses that run from front to back stopping at each loop. In the middle is the Meadows where the pool and trading post is.

Each of these places has ample golf cart parking but NO vehicle parking. If you bring a toad it will sit at your campsite or out front in the overflow lot. You will not be able to use it for internal transportation. A golf cart not only allows you to move about at your leisure but one of the great activities is "looping" going around looking at others campsites, this is especially fun during holidays where the campsites (and golf carts) are very elaborately decorated.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Yes you will be able to park the toad and golf cart at your site. There is even a outside outlet provided so that you can plug in the golf cart to charge the batteries. I attached a picture here of the spot we stayed in last. This was a premium spot but, most of the sites are near this size. As you can see there is plenty of room for the toad and golf cart.

They actually have a parking lot for the golf carts so that you can leave them there and take transportation to the other parks or locations such as downtown Disney.

We parked the golf cart in the lot upfront by the check in area since that is where free transportation is to the other parks and location. We also parked the golf cart at the other end of the Fort where boats take you to other parks and locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	557.8 KB
ID:	135520  
KenNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
There is golf cart parking at the boat shuttle. At most sites they have parking for car and golf cart
While there is plenty of golf cart parking, There is NO car parking except at your campsite (if it will fit on the paved area) or in the front parking and overflow lot.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
For a 5 night stay would I want it the day I arrive and the day I leave.

I am still debating bringing the car or not!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fort Wilderness is awesome and for us RV'ers I wouldn't go anywhere else..... MHO. BIKES !!! lol save the cart money and get your exercise.. There is no reason to have a toad unless you plan off site activities. We went 2 years ago and use taxi to Universal and sea world, both times the parking fees alone for our toad covered the taxi or were the same. UBER is cheaper. We have a trip scheduled and booked for next June, will take the toad for enroute stops but while there we will park it and use our bikes or the Disney transpo (it is excellent for any area you want to go even in the camping area) I would do my RV and Fort wilderness over any of the Disney properties for comfort and price of stay. We can't wait and will have our Disney vacation account paid for by March for our June trip, they make it easy to book and plan.

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote