Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FORT WILDERNESS (where is better)

There are many mentions of FW in these forums. Many times people post that they are not or no longer impressed with FW and/or there are plenty of campgrounds that are nicer and cheaper. Without discounting the fees completely I would love to hear about the campgrounds that are nicer than FW; If they exist I want to go and "glamp" there myself. A quick review why they are better, the location and maybe a web link would be nice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

I too would lovemto know of nicer campgrounds with more amenities

Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Granted, it was four years ago, but I had exactly one complaint about FW. You can tell it was designed and laid out when rigs were much smaller than they are today. The sites are great but the roads are tight, but that's it.

The nightly campfires, easy acces to the parks by bus and boat, the nightly rate was comparable to most of the outside CGs and I didn't have to drive in every day and pay to park.

It may have changed, but back then there was no beating the deal.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good luck finding better ones. The Fort is meticulously maintained. The spots are washed down between guests. We stayed at a KOA in Kissimee that is very nice but still no comparison to the FT. What more amenities do you want? Hot tubs in each area would be nice after trekking long days in the park. They do need more food places and car parking near them would be nice.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I waited in line 4 hours in 1973 when the computer went down at Ft. wilderness. I still think it is the best campground in the world. I have reservations there for this Sept.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been there twice and enjoyed the convenience. Some of the roads and sites are tight but, on our last trip about 3 years ago, they had made some of the sites longer and cut down some trees. Agree they could add some vehicle parking in some areas like the dog run. Last time there, in spite of asking to be put near the dog run, they put us far away from it. Could not take the dogs to the run in the car since there was no parking near the run.
By the time we walked the dogs to the run, we all had our exercise.

If we ever go again, we will take our golf car.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Just stayed at FW and we are 43 ft. I did not have a problem fitting into my spot. Love this place and it's great location. We will be going back again and again. Hard to beat the quality....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

We've been going to FW forever in everything from Tents to Pop Ups to travel trailers. Long ago we had a 32 ft 1980 something Pace Arrow that we took there. Just got a new MH and looking forward to going again in May. If you have kids FW can't be beat. But lots of folks that are way beyond kids are there all the time.

Go to FW between Thanksgiving and New Years and you'll be amazed at the way people decorate their sites.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #9

We are headed down there next week. The prices keep going up, but like others have said, stay off property and pay for parking to go to the parks, same price. Kids love it and so do we, their parents.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not aware of any campground in the area as nice as Ft Wilderness. There are some very nice ones but none have the full compliment of amenities you'll find at the fort. Any of those RV parks will be "cheaper", but not necessarily by a significant amount. Maybe by enough to take the family to McDonalds for dinner.

If you're here for one or two weeks to visit the area's attractions, stay at the Fort. If you're looking for a long term stay there are very nice "residence" parks for just that purpose.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm two hours from FW, taking 3 grandkids for the weekend. The last time I was at FW, 20 years ago we had zero issues!😃

I will post how our trip went.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I was just there in January. Love FW and will be back this year.

This was our site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	87065  
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are heading to the Fort in 3 weeks. We usually travel there twice a year(Spring and Thanksgiving). I have not seen anything in the area that would remotely compete with everything the FW provides.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary, our pilgrimages from Wisconsin to Florida most years was done at approximately the same time you come down. We liked the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas and the first half of February. Generally great weather and you used to be able to count on lower crowd levels. The latter is no longer true. Disney has done a good job of attracting more people here during what used to be the slower periods.

Now we live 20 minutes from Disney World 5 months of the year.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote