Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Free over night stays

I have looked at FAQ and found out a lot of good information. Free Apps Park Advisor,Exit,Allstays one was $9.95 or so good stuff. It looks like Walmart ask if it is okay and flying J and Sam's club Cracker Barrel Bass Pro Shops etc.
My question is can you put out your tip outs? Run your generator? Safety is a concern any nightmare stories to share. Stay away from the big gas stations with truckers yes or no these days I think everybody would like to feel safe and stay for free.
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #2

We put out our slide as it is our bed and run our quite genny in our belly of C class MH as I need for my c-pap.

Stayed at several Walmarts when traveling across Texas. No problems!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have a full wall slide and try to find an area where the slide hangs over a curb....they usually want you to stay out of the main parking lot...we also run our generator but not overnight.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #4

The generally accepted practice is don't make it look like you are staying - no slides, no jacks, no BBQ's, etc. Here's a link to the industry-accepted (Escapees, FMCA, Good Sam, etc) "Good neighbor Policy" re: overnight stops in parking lots. See You are being redirected...
We use parking areas regularly, run genny as needed, have only been bothered once by a panhandler. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
allbrand.....
we've stayed at a fair number of WM in the last 5+ years, as well as the odd Cracker Barrel, Sams Club, HD, truck stop now and then. Never had a problem anywhere, but it's important to keep in mind that a truck stop IS a 24-hr truck business. As such I think it would be unreasonable for me- or anyone- to expect quiet at such a place.
That said, WM has become our go-to for convenient, quick overnight stops. They are plentiful, usually quite near the highway, and provide additional convenient benefits. When in travel mode we will likely do 1-2 nights at WM followed by 2 nights at a pleasant CG or RV Park. (We only travel about 200-250 miles per day.).

With WM we .....
.... always call ahead to check if they allow.
.... always go into the store to buy a few needed things, and track down the Manager on duty to say thanks.
... always park in the area they suggest, and try to park driver side to a curb. This allows us to extend BR and LR slides without infringing upon others' movement.
-- If the pavement appears healthy I will put down my jacks just enough to stabilize- a few thousand Lbs. In my coach each tire puts about 6K psf or more on the pavement, so picking up 3K Lbs on the jack won't endanger anything.

We've never had a problem at any of them. Once some folks got a little loud sometime after midnight, just for ten minutes or so and they left. Probably the stockers leaving work. And I think twice we pulled in, didn't like the look of things, and left.
But generally, all is fine.
Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

TKS

Thank you all so much
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #7

We just spent the night at the Walmart in Grand Prairie, AB. There are at least 17 RVs of one type or another here at 7:00 AM this morning. No problems at all.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Free over night stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbrand1999 View Post
......these days I think everybody would like to feel safe and stay for free.

... one more point here-- just a comment, really.

Remember, the prime value of a parking lot overnight is the convenience, not the cost. WM is not necessarily free. If you travel in the hot season when you need air conditioning then you'll need your generator, and that costs money. With fuel and recurring servicing I estimate my generator costs about $2.60/ hr to run.

I'd never let that stop me if it's hot outside, but you have to have information to make a valid decision.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When do a cross country trip, I'll plan out either WalMarts or Cabelas. I'll do a Goodle street view to kind of see the kind of area it is.

One key when pulling in to a Walmart is " are there other RV's already boon-docking. No need to ask then. There has only been one Walmart that didn't allow overnight parking.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
... one more point here-- just a comment, really.

Remember, the prime value of a parking lot overnight is the convenience, not the cost. WM is not necessarily free. If you travel in the hot season when you need air conditioning then you'll need your generator, and that costs money. With fuel and recurring servicing I estimate my generator costs about $2.60/ hr to run.

I'd never let that stop me if it's hot outside, but you have to have information to make a valid decision.

Very good point if I can find a camp site for around $40 I might as well stay there and have full hook ups TKS
Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbrand1999 View Post
Very good point if I can find a camp site for around $40 I might as well stay there and have full hook ups TKS

If you're meandering along a c/g is probably a better choice, especially in cooler or very hot weather, free electricity goes a long way.

If however you're doing an express run as I usually do, and not getting off the road until often well past 11pm and then back out on the road again at zero-dark-thirty, often before sunrise.

I certainly wouldn't want that if I was at a park on vacation, so I won't do that to other people who are on vacation either.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
If you're meandering along a c/g is probably a better choice, especially in cooler or very hot weather, free electricity goes a long way.

If however you're doing an express run as I usually do, and not getting off the road until often well past 11pm and then back out on the road again at zero-dark-thirty, often before sunrise.

I certainly wouldn't want that if I was at a park on vacation, so I won't do that to other people who are on vacation either.

Thank you I'm going to be a 10:00-3:00 camper
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Free Overnight Stays

Interesting thread -

If it's merely stopping somewhere for a few ( 4 to 8 hours ) to get off the road for some rest, we usually stop at the Interstate rest stops - depending on the state we're in. We always try to find one that has a lot of trucks already parked there along with a place to be able to walk our 3 dogs.
Parking in the truckers area, in my mind at least, gives us some feeling of a little security and allows me to run the ( diesel ) generator without any problem because the majority of trucks have their diesel engines running.

Just my 2 cents worth.
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #14

Thank you