Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

From 58 N on 395 NW 139- In Oregon to Crater Lake

We live in Modesto and will travel 99 S to 58 east then turn north on 395 all the way to the Susanville area and pick up 139 and go into Oregon and on to Crater Lake then home to Modesto..... All of this in early May (Weather permitting)

I would like to hear about campgrounds and things to see along the way whether it be boondocking somewhere or whatever, we don't really have a time line being we are retired. We are 36ft pulling a 96 Tracker and have never done this trip before, we have been to every state except Alaska (flew to Hawaii) .........

Thanks in advance LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

For Crater Lake I'd recommend staying at Collier Memorial State Park, OR on 97 at Chiloquin or since you're turning around to return home after Crater, Joseph Stewart State Rec. Area on 62 is very nice. Both are an easy drive to Crater Lake.

On your return you could make your way over to CA101 and head home the scenic route rather than I-5.

Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In early May there may still be snow at crater lake.... We camp there every year and have run into snow a few times in early June.... Then again we have also had 80 degree days there that time of year. Its hard to say about the weather because of the elevation.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Thanks........
Anyone venture up 395?

Thanks again LeeB
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We live right off of 395 and make the trip to Oregon annually via 395 to Susanville. Depending upon how far you like to drive in one day, it's about 370 miles (6 - 7 hours) to Lone Pine where there is a nice campground called Boulder Creek. There is, for all intents and purposes, no good rv parks between Bakersfield and Lone Pine. However, if you want to stay in Bakersfield, I recommend Orange Grove rv park on Hwy 58 just east of Bakersfield. Also, I would fuel up in Bakersfield as there aren't many places you can between there and Reno....that is if you use diesel. If you have a gas rig, then no problem...lots of places. There is a Love's just east of Tehachapi.

If you stay at Boulder Creek, I would then stop at Silver City RV Resort just south of Carson City. They have diesel there and it's an "ok" place to spend the night or to just fuel up. However, that's only about 225 miles so you might want to venture on up to Reno/Sparks. We have stayed at Sparks Marina RV Resort several times....very nice park and there is a truck stop very close for fuel.

Or if you still feel like driving, you can go another 90 miles or so to Susanville (about 350 miles from Lone Pine). There is another "ok" rv park there across the street from Walmart. It's fine for an overnight (Susanville RV Park).

From there on up to Crater Lake is an easy drive. We've never stayed there so I can't offer any help there. We usually stay at Klamath Falls.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
In June we have to be in San Dimas for a friend's anniversary. When we head North I thought about heading up 395, (after getting to it from there) to go to Lake Tahoe. My plan as to get to either Lone Pine or all the way to Bishop for a couple of night's stay. After that on to Tahoe. I have driven a part of 395 from 4 Corners; South a couple of times. I have driven from Death Valley, thru Bishop and into Yosemite too, but long ago. I have never driven North of LeVining on 395. San Dimas is about 260 miles from Bishop. Does that seem doable?

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
In June we have to be in San Dimas for a friend's anniversary. When we head North I thought about heading up 395, (after getting to it from there) to go to Lake Tahoe. My plan as to get to either Lone Pine or all the way to Bishop for a couple of night's stay. After that on to Tahoe. I have driven a part of 395 from 4 Corners; South a couple of times. I have driven from Death Valley, thru Bishop and into Yosemite too, but long ago. I have never driven North of LeVining on 395. San Dimas is about 260 miles from Bishop. Does that seem doable?

Absolutely. See no reason why not.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

Thanks.... As far as Fuel goes I'm not to concerned about it. I'll fill up in Ridgecrest before we head north. I am in the Elks and they have a great Lodge there. So we will stop and have a few Adult Beverages and stay a couple days.......

Thanks again for the Pointers LeeB