Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
From Cincinnati to the UP with 7 days to travel... Looking for suggestions

I everyone! Looking for suggestion planning our late spring trip to MI. In general I'm looking for suggestions on how to route the trip and where 2 stay. It's me and wife my
Parents and the dogs....and the say 3 is a crowd...8-)

We would love to stay very close to the lakes and drive where we can see and walk through towns, historic places and or lighthouses...we prefer quite but comfy campgrounds..we heard about mackinaw but not sure we can visit with the dogs (if restrictions)..

Any/all help is appreciated!

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's about 7 hours from Cinci to the bridge. There is several campgrounds in the area, you definitely want to take the ferry to the Island. You can take you dogs as well just remember they have horse drawn carriages. Once you cross the bridge( about $20 I think) you could head to Saulte St Marie to see the docks then head west along Lake Superior lots of thing to see and do.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you belong to the Loyal order of the Moose, or Elks or ____ then you will find lodges with RV facilities near Detroit (I'll be staying for a bit in Taylor at the Moose) else there is a campground west of Detroit used to be the Greenfield KOA. That is a good day from Cincinnatti. Or you can continue north. Several KOA's and others I know there is one around mile 101 on I-75 (Yogi Bear Park)

That is if you go up 75, If you go up US-27 there is a county park off I-94 west of Jackson.

Farther up (next day) Grayling/Gaylord area is Hartwick Pines State park, continuing north (Indian River, almost within sight of the bridge) is Big Lake State park, if you happen to be Catholic the back fence neighbor is a Shrine.. My daughter's confirmation saint in fact.

Next stop Straights State Park, thats' on the NORTH side of the big bridge

You are now in the UP. If you haver read The Song of Hiawatha.. There is a state park AND an national forrest that you might like. I can't spell it but it is just west of Paradise. Been there, Lovely river, golden falls, Nice park.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...365---,00.html
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
IF you belong to the Loyal order of the Moose, or Elks or ____ then you will find lodges with RV facilities near Detroit (I'll be staying for a bit in Taylor at the Moose) else there is a campground west of Detroit used to be the Greenfield KOA. That is a good day from Cincinnatti. Or you can continue north. Several KOA's and others I know there is one around mile 101 on I-75 (Yogi Bear Park)

That is if you go up 75, If you go up US-27 there is a county park off I-94 west of Jackson.

Farther up (next day) Grayling/Gaylord area is Hartwick Pines State park, continuing north (Indian River, almost within sight of the bridge) is Big Lake State park, if you happen to be Catholic the back fence neighbor is a Shrine.. My daughter's confirmation saint in fact.

Next stop Straights State Park, thats' on the NORTH side of the big bridge

You are now in the UP. If you haver read The Song of Hiawatha.. There is a state park AND an national forrest that you might like. I can't spell it but it is just west of Paradise. Been there, Lovely river, golden falls, Nice park.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...365---,00.html
Thanks so much great info
Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

If you like Winerys and Golf. Try the Travse City Mi. area 30 winerys 30 golf courses and great campground. We were there in 2010 in October and fall colors were super.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Traverse City Mi. has about 30 wineries and 30 golf courses and good campgrounds
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

just drove upto Gaylord, Mi. 1st week of March in my pickup truck towing snowmobiles from Bright, In (you are familiar where I live) and going I-75 to Toledo, Oh. & up US 23, then reconnect to I-75 again is your best route. home to Gaylord is 480 miles & 8 hours at speed limit. better figure almost 550 miles & 10-11 hours to bridge, thats what I have in my rv log book. places to go: Frankenmuth (Christmas every day) Mackinac Island, Tahquamenon state park (rootbeer color water is a must see) in UP, Sault Ste. Marie ( Edmond Fitzgerald display), Seney wildlife area (drive thru in your car) and Pictured Rocks area & boat trip. this is some of our favorites. the roads were in good condition also (no potholes).
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another suggestion for the Mackinaw area is Wilderness State Park on the south side of the bridge about 10 miles west of the bridge. There are two camping areas on the water/beach side and across the road in the woods. There are miles of beaches and great walking trails int he woods that the dogs will love! we have split our time in the past by staing at wilderness for the quiet time and Straits to walk around St. Ignance. Tahquamenon Falls State Park is also awesome as well and just an hour and half north. Well worth the drive and stay!

It beautiful up there (pun intended ) have a great trip!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #9

Also recommend Tahquamenon Falls State Park. Great home base for a few days. Drive up to White Fish Point if you get a chance and visit the museum at the lighthouse.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We stayed at 1000 trails in St. Clair using PassportAmerica for 25 a night. Nice wooded area. I don't remember the attractions, but cheap enough for a 1 nighter.

Then over to Duck Creek RV Resort, Muskeugon . A little pricy, but well worth the money we spent there. The sites and campground are just wonderfull.

We stayed at:
Lakshore Park Campground
1234 Point Labarbe Rd
Saint Ignace, MI
800-643-9522

And they were also PassportAmerica. The sites are close together, but location, location, location and we were there over the 4th of July weekend last year. It's an easy ride into town, and the boats to the Island run out of Saint Ignace.

The Locks were mentioned, and just riding around, looking at scenery was good for us. It's about 70 miles North to Sault Ste. Marie.

We traveled West via Hwy 2 then up to Marquette and stayed outside of Marquette at Country Village RV, Ishpeming. Marquette has a county/city park but it is not full hook up with some sites only having Electric and other full boondocking sites, and that is why we stayed outside town.

After that we were not in Michigan anymore Dorothy.

We do plan on going back that way some time. We really enjoyed the UP.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all, keep the suggestions coming please! 8-)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #12

I am from Michigan and I have always vacationed in Michigan. IMO the most scenic area is the UP and there are beautiful campgrounds but most do not have hookups. We have booked McLain state park for August in the Keweenaw peninsula and it does have electric and showers. A must do is the Pictured Rocks in Munising. As far as a Munising campground there is one we stayed at last year the Munising Tourist Park which is a county park with full hook ups. Directly on Lake Superior with certain spots you are beach front. Kind of close together with other spots.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If yo make it as far as Escanaba be sure to eat at Hereford and Hops. You can grill your own steak or they will grill it for you. Their home brewed root beer is the best. I always buy a gallon to take home.

Hereford & Hops Steakhouse and Brewpub, Escanaba - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

If you want to bypass the bridge on the way back you can go through Chicago, less miles but more time from Escanaba to Cincinnati. Lets you vary the trip and see different sights along the way. The ride from Escanaba south to Green Bay, WI is easy going and peaceful.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #14

Maybe not this summer, but I want to get off 75 somewhere around Saginaw Bay and follow 23 up Lake Huron to Mackinaw City or across the bridge to Strait SP, camp and visit Mackinac Island.

I worked for Mackinac Island Carriage Tours driving two teams of horses and giving island tours the summer of 1970. Love to see how the town has changed and take the tour I used to give. I had just gotten out of the Air Force and a buddy of mine and I wanted something FUN to do before we entered the 'real' world...we were not disappointed. We also learned much about the area and some pretty amazing history as well.

BTW, 23 is part of 'the great circle route' and should be an interesting drive, bet there's more than a few good stops and campgrounds along the way. If you do get to take the trip to the island, eat some fudge for me and don't forget to 'tip' your carriage driver...the wages probably still suck! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote