Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Ft Lauderdale

Looks like we will be in Ft Lauderale area mid June this year for a few nights. Anyone visited and/or have comments about Paradise Island RV Resort or Sunshine Holday RV resort? Both are Pasport America parks. Other suggestions also welcomed. Thanks
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Also check out Markham Park, a Broward County Park with full hookups. I think it is nicer than the two you mentioned. Here's the link: Camping

There's a couple of other county parks that also have full hookups that can be found on the same link. All were rebuilt after hurrican Wilma in '05.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have to admit Markham would be my vote too. That's where we wintered and we thought it was by far the nicest park in the area. Lots of green and space. It will cost more than a PA park tho.

If you want to see some pics of Markham I have em on the blog here http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...rk-sunrise-fl/
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I just bought my first coach and am a tad new to this, but as a resident of Fort Lauderdale, perhaps I can help.

Stay AWAY from Paradise Island Park, unless you want to stand watch at night. It boarders one of the works areas of town and just not where you want to be.

Sunshine Holiday is in a bit of a better part of town, but from what I've seen there is that the lots are small. I've got a 36' Tropi-Cal and not sure how I feel about having my slide be a few feet from the coach next door.

The nicest place in the area is Yacht Haven RV & Marina. It's off I95 and SR84. Easy access to and from the major interstates and very nice. Located on the New River, you've got water front views and it's not in a bad area of town.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CaptMark, How is Yacht Haven RV & Marina location for the October Boat show?
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Markem park is nice and close to town. Also of note is the shooting range on the opposite side of the park, skeet and target.

If your not opposed to a little farther north in west palm you have Jonathan dickinson state park. Very nice and close to the beach. Not much here in FTL. You have atlantic freightliner and a k&k rv that are both good shops if you need them. Emerald towing if things go really bad. Safe trip.

Loxahatchee River Adventures at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Florida
Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
CaptMark, How is Yacht Haven RV & Marina location for the October Boat show?

If you are there a few days before the show, you get a constant parade of yachts coming from the yacht yards west of that location heading to the show. Easily several billion dollars in yachts pass there in a few days.

The same is true on the flip side, with the boats going back to the yards after the show has ended.

During the show, it's a perfect location to be based out of. You just go down SR84 (a.k.a. Marina Mile) to the convention center where there are a few hundred indoor booths and shuttles every 15 minutes to the to the docks along the water where all the in-water boats are as well as a few hundred more booths.

It's a mad house on the Saturday and Sunday. Pay the extra money and go on the VIP day...
CaptMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #8

I also vote for Markham Park. It is the only campground I know of with a Range. Wheelingit posted a great description of the campground with some pictures to help you decide. You should know however that summer is mosquito season and today it was 88 with the same humidity level. The weekends usually have a lot of interesting activities. It has the biggest RC airport in all of south FL. Lots of very interesting stuff flying overhead. I camp at the park so that I have a convenient place to seek airconditioning after a day at the range
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #9

Markham park in Sunrise is a nice park. Lived there 4 months - end of 09' and beginning of 10' years.
It was $30 a night then. Full hook ups though.
Firing range opens about 9AM but is open all day.
Not bad at all - if you stay closet to front of park , if isn't noisy at all.
I preferred the back, nearest the water and away from smaller sites.
There is a dog park there also.
A pool - open after Memorial Day.
Large RC airport and great fun to watch.
I-75 very close by and the Sawgrass Mills Mall and a new IKEA down the road.
Close to everything.
It's my vote!
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #10

I'll be heading to Ft Lauderdale this weekend so wanted to ask if any new thoughts on places in or near Ft Lauderdale.
Thanks
Bob
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probably not any new ones have opened since the April post.
Read the post above yours for places to stay.

Campgrounds near Ft Lauderdale
Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
You can also consider TY Park (listed in the camping section mentioned earlier in the Broward County website). Although located next to a RR Line, it really isn't all that noisy, and the ease and location is closer to everything then Markham park (although I vote for that place as well).

My home base is in Hollywood and I've stayed at both of those sites when I make it home.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #13

We were just at TY park about a month ago. It is a very nice place. The pads are level concrete with a concrete patio. A picnic table with a charcoal grill is also at the site. Electric and water is also very good. The sewer connection is at the back of the site so you will need a longer than usual hook up for that. They also have a very nice swimming pool, walking and hiking trails. And as the previous post stated it is close to everything. They have nighttime security too. When we were there it was $40. a night.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #14

I started this one and wanted to thank you guys for the recommendations. I ended up at Markham and it is a very nice facility. Many large open spaces & quiet at night. We are very pleased - cost is $40 a night plus $1.00 for the pug.
Bob