Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Another vote for Fort Fiends and Jason for reservation, he has a add on the board but everyone knows him there and also recommends him.
Sorry... did I miss something?

Who is Jason?

How can he help me?

How do I get in touch with him?
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were back at FT Wilderness a few months ago. Initially they assigned us a spot in the 300 loop but we would not fit in the site because we are 44ft. We were then moved to the 800 loop which ended up being just fine however. Getting to the site was tight because as others mentioned, there were sites where folks had their cars front end in the main street and as I was navigating to our site I realized we could not get past them. Thankfully folks were there and moved their car so that our rig could pass.

In the 800 loop we could get satellite reception without a problem. This was our third trip to FT Wilderness which we loved. I do not think you can reserve a specific site and be guaranteed it will be open when you arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	126106  
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Sorry... did I miss something?

Who is Jason?

How can he help me?

How do I get in touch with him?
Jason is a travel agent with Mouse Counselors, he does all the work for you and at NO cost to you, he can handle site reservations( watches for discounts) dining reservations just about everything to make your trip easier.
http://www.fortfiends.net/?app=core&...9140cf6d2e0ed4
Hope the link works.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:52 AM   #18

We try to go every two years but because of health issues havent in 5. Were booked for this July so im looking forward to it. We bring the whole family and put up two tents behind the rv. Outfit the tents with a tv and window ac.

Does anyone know if you wait to get park tickets until you get there does it cost more or the same price either way?
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #19

Well, like anything at Disney waiting is the key word. I'd check out online and see what ticket packages are available and buy them ahead of time. We are annual pass holders and stay at Ft Wilderness at least 3 or 4 times a year. I'll do anything to avoid lines.

That said, you might be able to buy park tickets at the front office in Ft Wilderness. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
We try to go every two years but because of health issues havent in 5. Were booked for this July so im looking forward to it. We bring the whole family and put up two tents behind the rv. Outfit the tents with a tv and window ac.

Does anyone know if you wait to get park tickets until you get there does it cost more or the same price either way?
Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You want to buy park tickets ahead of time so you can reserve fast passes (up to 60 days ahead of your visit if staying at a Disney resort)
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #21
GGC

Once you reserve, Disney will send everything and more for your stay.
You will be able to set up an online account and do everything from there.
I am not thrilled with the bands but you will need one to enter FW if you leave in your own or rental car. The guard at the gate was not that friendly when we were there.
GGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #22

You can buy tickets ahead of time thru Disney or even places like Undercover Tourist or Ticketmania with a small discount and link them to your Magic Bands to make your fast passes.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of questions/clarifications please. We have been to Disney a number of times. In the past we have stayed with family that are close by and at Shades of Green (I am retired Army). Around July 28, 3 grandkids will join us for about a month - traveling the east coast visiting family, friends, swimming in the ocean and basically being spoiled by Mammaw and Pappaw. These grandkids are great travelers and have spent a few months hanging out with us. Last summer a coast to coast and return trip. Spent about 45 days and 7500 miles living in our coach.

Enter Fort Wilderness. I wanted to do a little something special for the grandkids and their Dad. Looked to me like Fort Wilderness is a great RV resort with lots of stuff to do while visiting other places in the Orlando area.

I am presently booked into a FW Premium Spot. I wanted plenty of room and I also wanted to be close to swimming pools, evening fireside Chip and Dale visits and the action in general. While I can get great prices on tickets - we don't plan on visiting the Disney Parks. The plan is to use FW as a base to visit other attractions.

I be interested in your inputs and recommendations.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've often said that Fort Wilderness can be considered a destination resort, separate from the theme parks. You and the grandkids will have a great time. The pools, the campfire sing along and movie, riding bikes, canoeing, horseback riding... Have you ever done the Hoopdie Doo or Mickey's Barbeque?

There's a zillion tourist attractions in the area outside of Disney, and many Disney things you can do without visiting the theme parks. You'll love walking around Disney Springs. The major expansion is just about done. Dozens of places to eat and shop or take the boat to Port Orleans Riverside, get a sandwich and hop the boat back. There's a 24 screen theater and even a bowling alley. There are also multiple outdoor live music vendors scattered around the property every evening, all free.

The grandkids might enjoy one of the Disney mini golf parks. Our favorite is "Winter Summerland". You can also tour any or all of the other Disney resorts. Take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary right from the docks at Ft Wilderness. Hop on the monorail at the Contemporary and ride it to the Polynesian or Grand Floridian or get off at the Ticket and transportation stop and get on the monorail to Epcot. You won't be able to enter the park, obviously, but it does loop through Epcot on its way to the station. Just stay on it and it will bring you back to where you started.

Outside of Disney, what kind of things are you interested in? You name it, you can probably find it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #25

Call and ask for the 1300 loop (600 loop if you have satellite TV and don't want trees. Those loops are within walking Dist of the pool. They won't guarantee a loop, but you will probably got what you ask for.

You do not need to go to the parks for the kids to have blast.

You can also rent a golf cart ($60/day) to get around if you want. Go foam to the docks at night to see the fire works. Lots to do there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
A couple of questions/clarifications please. We have been to Disney a number of times. In the past we have stayed with family that are close by and at Shades of Green (I am retired Army). Around July 28, 3 grandkids will join us for about a month - traveling the east coast visiting family, friends, swimming in the ocean and basically being spoiled by Mammaw and Pappaw. These grandkids are great travelers and have spent a few months hanging out with us. Last summer a coast to coast and return trip. Spent about 45 days and 7500 miles living in our coach.

Enter Fort Wilderness. I wanted to do a little something special for the grandkids and their Dad. Looked to me like Fort Wilderness is a great RV resort with lots of stuff to do while visiting other places in the Orlando area.

I am presently booked into a FW Premium Spot. I wanted plenty of room and I also wanted to be close to swimming pools, evening fireside Chip and Dale visits and the action in general. While I can get great prices on tickets - we don't plan on visiting the Disney Parks. The plan is to use FW as a base to visit other attractions.

I be interested in your inputs and recommendations.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #26

Certainly do mickeys bbq and the hoop Dee doo. Good food and good times. Lots to do at the fort for sure
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #27

Do a resort tour and for the kids make sure you go to Animal Kingdom Lodge, I believe they have programs there about the animals with Cast Members to answer questions, they might like to see Art of Animation resort also because of all the movie related props around the resort. If you use Disney transportation to do this you might need to hop a ride to a park or Disney Springs then another bus to the resorts, I do not think they offer resort to resort buses. Have fun & enjoy
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many thanks for the great advise. The original reasoning for the 3 night stay was based on our anticipation of such a good time. It sounds so good - we may stay extra nights. Believe for sure that we will ad Typhoon Bay to the list of attractions. But I believe with all the activities, pool and external stuff we are going to increase the night count to 4 at a minimum.

Again, thank you all!!

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote