Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ft Wilderness FL.

Planning on making reservations at Ft Wilderness at Disney World for next Feb. Is there any better loops for a 45' motorhome there. Will I be able to use the satellite TV there?? How soon can I make reservations for a loop or site??? Is there a web site that offers help (other than Disney)???

Thanks
Dave

djhinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
600 loop will do well for a 45 ft AND a view of the sky for SAT reception. They have Cable available in each site.

You can only request a loop. I think you can book a year in advance. They do not reserve sites...but you can make a request...which they note on your reservation.

Google Fort Fiends they have a great forum all about Ft. Wilderness. There are a lot of other forums out there dealing with Disney related stuff...All Ears is another. Have a great time!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I agree the 600 Loop shows the most sky and might be the easiest to back in a 45'. You can make reservations 499 days out. You can also request a particular site (we always do) but they say they will try to accommodate your request but not guarantee it. Sometimes we stay in another site for a couple of days then moved to the one we asked for, when it opens.
We have friends with a 45' Monaco, who use the 300 Loop which has to be the tightest and has the most trees. They still manage to get a satellite signal. It is a project to get them backed in.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
GGC

X2 on Fort Fiends. A ton of info to examine. Jason Adams will be able to handle anything related to FW booking. Give him a call. I stayed in the 600 loop a few years ago and was next to a Newell, plenty of space.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

The 300 loop is a pet loop fairly close to the dog park (if that's important to you).

I was just there in March and the 300 loop can be tight. My coach is only 38 feet and it was tight backing into my spot. A 45 footer would not have fit.

With that said, shortly after I arrived a fella in a 45' Mountain Aire arrived. It took some jockeying back and forth, but he eventually got into his spot. So some sites on the 300 loop can accommodate a 45 foot coach, but many cannot.

The tightness of the 300 loop is compounded by people parking their tow vehicles and toads on the street in front of their campsite. Not too bad if you arrive in the middle of the week when less people are their.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
The tightness of the 300 loop is compounded by people parking their tow vehicles and toads on the street in front of their campsite. Not too bad if you arrive in the middle of the week when less people are their.

Actually, all the loops suffer from this problem, inconsiderate people, tight roads designed when a '25 trailer was a "big rig". The last time we were there we were assigned a site that was plenty long enough but near impossible to get into even without the parked cars (and of course no one on the site to move them) across the street. The people at check-in probably are not RV owners/users, probably are not intimately familiar with all the loops and will simply go by the length and a few notes on their computer.

That said, no worries. In our case a young man doing garbage pickup asked if another open site, two down from what we'd been assigned, would work for us, I replied "absolutely", he called the reception out post and got the assignment changed for us.

Sat reception is a low percentage crap shoot at Fort Wilderness, it is heavily wooded. The exception being much of the 600 loop. The 100, 200 and 300 loops are close to the settlement outpost and docks but small and tight with few sites a big rig would fit on, fewer that you'll get into without adding a few grey hairs.

I agree, this is an excellent source for information on sites and loops at the Fort: Fort Fiends
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
There is a app called sites at the fort that shows a picture of each site it width and length and where the utilities are located. It also says how hard it is to back in. It is a good for getting a idea of the site while you are talking to Disney,
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #8

We stayed in the 800 loop over spring break and it was tight for our 39" fiver and truck. Heavily wooded but lots of folks around us had satellite working. Also some larger dp's were in there. I was shocked at how tight it was maneuvering around the loop
Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed in the 300 loop in a 38 footer this past january, very tight, site was not clean when we arrived bottle caps all over and trash in the grill and sand, sand, sand, there was no winning and we don't allow shoes in the motorhome the main pool was closed the whole time. We won't stay there again.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

Another vote for Fort Fiends and Jason for reservation, he has a add on the board but everyone knows him there and also recommends him.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
We stayed in the 300 loop in a 38 footer this past january, very tight, site was not clean when we arrived bottle caps all over and trash in the grill and sand, sand, sand, there was no winning and we don't allow shoes in the motorhome the main pool was closed the whole time. We won't stay there again.
There's no excuse for the dirty site. We've been there many times and never experienced this. Someone dropped the ball. I'd have called the reception outpost to complain, my guess they would have had someone there in minutes to clean it up (and someone would have been subject to a dressing down for letting it happen).

All of the sites use to have a lot of sand on them, typically a band down the entire length of the site and a large patch at the back. Many sites have been updated to "premium" to enlarge the paved area, both in width and length, to accommodate today's larger RVs and this eliminated most, if not all of the sand on those updated sites. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the 100, 200 and 300 sites were not updated.

All Disney facilities/amenities are subject to closure now and then for refurbishment, you just got unlucky as to the pool closing (although there are resources available that you can usually find out ahead of time if something will be closed). This includes even the major rides in the theme parks. As Disney is a year around operation, and there are no longer any real slow times, it has to be done when there are guests in the park.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a huge Disney fan (been there tons of times) Just for clarification: The website is Fortfriends.net and the phone app is called FW sites. Other good Disney site is Disboards.com they have a forum on camping at the Fort. We have a 38' MH stayed in the 1000 loop. Easy in. That loop is walkable to the trading post and main pool. I had the app open at check in. It shows photos of each site, how long and wide each site is plus if the site is easy/hard to get into. The front desk gave me several options I pulled each site up on my phone and could tell right there if we'd fit.
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #13

Which site do you like. We're headed there tomorrow

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I agree the 600 Loop shows the most sky and might be the easiest to back in a 45'. You can make reservations 499 days out. You can also request a particular site (we always do) but they say they will try to accommodate your request but not guarantee it. Sometimes we stay in another site for a couple of days then moved to the one we asked for, when it opens.
We have friends with a 45' Monaco, who use the 300 Loop which has to be the tightest and has the most trees. They still manage to get a satellite signal. It is a project to get them backed in.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
So sorry to hear that.

We've been there 4 times in the last 5 years and we absolutely love it. In fact, I hold Fort Wilderness as the model for all other campgrounds. I especially like the online check-in. I checked-in online, then they sent me a text with my site number. When I arrived, I told the Cast Member we had done online Check-in and already had our site number, she waived us through an empty lane and we proceeded to our site. Super easy!

As for trash in your campsite... JMonroe is right. Call back to the front and tell them. They'll get someone there in minutes to rectify the problem. Fort Wilderness processes 10's of thousands of campers every year. A few things are likely to slip through the cracks occasionally. They'll bend over backwards to make it right. They want your experience to be Magical!