Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I am planning a trip to Ft Wilderness in the Spring and have a couple questions for those who know this place. I am planning 2-3 days going to the parks and 1-2 days staying in the campground.

Does that sound like a good mix of time in and out of the park ground?

Would you reserve a golf cart for all of the days or just the days you are in the campground?

I think your planning is sound, what is not said is, kids?, Grandkids?....

We go every year, and have since my daughter was 3 months old, we are now taking her 6 year old and 4 year old. This year will be the 6 year old's 7th visit. So we have experience. For us the cart has become a MUST, additional expense yes, but convenient beyond belief, we come back from the parks late at night hauling 2 kids, sleeping, with days purchases, strollers and assorted accessories, arrive at the front bus stop climb into the cart and drive directly to door of motorhome... no waiting for correct bus schlepping on board struggling to a seat, struggling off and then walking however far to the site. Didn't do the cart thing when my kids were young, but I was young then too, but now at 60+ I ain't quite as good a pack mule as I used to be. The other plus, it is literally my grandson's favorite ride!! We also enjoy evening cruises around the campground to see all the rigs, visit boat landing, see the horses in the barn, etc...

A ratio of roughly 2:1, days in park to days in camp works good for us. Last visit was 6 days, with 3 in parks and one water park, balance in camp, worked great. We have done 6 day park blitzes in 7 day trips and go home WORN OUT.

Now the cart is $$$, and if that will keep you from other activities, then skip it, is by no means necessary. Look for resources about crowd forecasts online and choose parks by those, they have been pretty reliable for us. Get up and out early, a lot can be accomplished at the parks early, before the big crowds. Plan with fast passes, the program has changed in recent years, so check on line about how to make your choices. If you stay at the resort you will get "magic bands", they are very convenient, but still subject to some "bugs" when linked for charging in parks (our experience anyway). Good advice about premier sites, they generally will have more space, larger pads, nicer tables and grill, and the loops they are on are usually closer to bus stops, in case you don't do the cart. Our favorite is the 1400 loop, convenient to pool area and camp fire/movie venue. If you have little ones, look into some "character" dining options, there are breakfast and dinner choices, some inside the parks some outside in resort locations. They are a huge hit with our grandkids, their particular favorite is Breakfast at the Beach Club resort, again a little pricey but GREAT fun. My granddaughter, aka "princess" loves Cinderella's dinner at the Grand Floridian resort, she gets to dress up in her princess outfits and feel like a queen (princess) for a day.

Go enjoy, there is nothing else like it.

Making our plans now for Sept 2015 visit

Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
Carts aren't a must but it does make moving around the campground a lot easier. We were in loop 600 in October.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420066361.021108.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	82264

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #17
Thank you

Thanks for all the replies. We have been to Disney several times, so we prefer going more frequently for shorter periods of time so we always have somthing to look forward too. My kids are 3, 8, 17, and 21.

What is nice to know is the Ft Wilderness is such a great situation in itself.

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote