Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GA Veterans State Park

We went over the 4th of July weekend and it was GREAT!

Talons

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talons View Post
We went over the 4th of July weekend and it was GREAT!
Talons, Sounds wonderful! Where there any special events that happened over the weekend?

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes! They had a fireworks show @9:30 pm the on 4th!

Talons
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

Ga Vets SP always does the July 4th fireworks for Cordele/Crisp County. And I have spent way too much time there (but not any more!!!). The park tends to fill up pretty good (Memorial Weekend, July 4th weekend & Labour Day weekend). They have special events all July 4th weekend. There should have been a listing posted on one of the bulletin boards at the bathhouses. You would need to make reservations well in advance for the 4th of July. Georgia State Parks - Georgia Veterans State Park

Many of the GA state parks have things going on at various times of the year. Check out the State Park Events calendar Georgia State Parks - Event Calendar
Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably due to 'cutbacks' in funding, the ONLY thing they had going over this past 4th of July weekend was the firework show!

Also, we made our reservations kind of at the last minute (Weds before the 4th weekend) and we got the LAST SPOT!

But, since no one else wanted that spot, we got what we felt like was the BEST ONE! Big, roomy! Lots of space for the Dolphin, kids, dog, wife and ME!!!

Still, it was a very nice park as they have spent a LOT of time cleaning it up!

Talons
Old 07-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talons View Post
Probably due to 'cutbacks' in funding, the ONLY thing they had going over this past 4th of July weekend was the firework show!
How sad. They used to put on a pretty big deal. You wouldn't know it to look at the town, but they have a lot of very, very well off folks there. But the the town doesn't even have a animal shelter! The owners of the rundown buildings in the old part of town, refuses to put any $$ into the buildings just to keep them up. Most of the roofs there leak. I was friends with a girl who married into one of the 3 richest families in town, SO I got a lot of "gossip" and David worked for many years for the (crazy) woman who was the widow of the guy who owned the asphalt plant.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, well, the cities EVERYWHERE are all claiming they 'No money!' and just wait until this next tax season... The regular folks amongst, those that work like me, will be paying through the nose.

That all being said, it was GREAT to take our first trip out of state in our Dolphin!

Talons
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, I am not sure where I should put this post, so I thought here would be fine. If that is not proper 'etiquette' for this board, then let me know where I should have posted this... Thanks!

This is the pre-trip and day 1 log of our trip to GA VETs Memorial State Park.

Trip: Georgia Veteran’s Memorial State Park, near Cordele, GA
Distance: 288.8 miles from home
Estimated Travel Time: 6+ hours
Crew: Me, Cindy, Ben, Joshua, CJ and our dog, Carmen
Vehicle: 1997 National Dolphin 535S

Pre Trip:
Setup the reservations online at GA park’s website. Paid the deposit. They said they had 1 site left, so I snatched it up. I figured there would be no problem as they said it would be a ‘pull through’ site. Well, for our 36 footer, that is a blessing.
My overall plan was to basically load up on Wednesday evening leaving the remainder of the items needed to be brought aboard on Thursday afternoon early evening. I wanted to be pulling out on the road at about 6:00 PM so I could put in about 3 hours of drive time the first day. Needless to say, it did not work out that way.

Day 1 – Thursday, 01 July 2010
We didn’t leave until about 9:30 or 10:00 PM Thursday night. My wife was reluctant to start the journey. We were both quite tired. But, I muscled up some energy and at 9:00 PM, I said, “Okay, let’s get this puppy loaded, we still have to get to Publix to get supplies.” When she saw how excited I had gotten, she too started boosting her energy output. Most of the stuff was already on board, but we had been dragging our feet and just kind of saying “Let’s just leave tomorrow”. But, I really wanted to ‘boon dock’ the first night either at Wal-Mart, Target or Crackle Barrel. I wanted to do this to see if we could do it and to determine if our coach was ready to do so. The reason for this is two-fold really. One is that I think it would be fun and cost effective to travel in this fashion for longer trips and two the Dolphin (my sister calls her ‘Flipper’) is our hurricane evacuation vehicle or “Bug out vehicle”, BOV. I wanted to verify that she could perform in this role should the need to do so really arrive. I already know we have a small generator/electrical issue while running the genny and both A/Cs. But, I wanted to make sure that all of our other systems worked for the purposes intended while self-contained. So, we pulled out of our driveway at around 10:00 PM and headed over to the grocery store. We spent about 1 hour total time getting the things we needed, while the kids waited for us in the RV. They were playing with Xbox, iPods, DS and other such electronic toys to keep them entertained on the long trips. Some argue about the usage of these items on the trips, but to me, it helps pass the time for them, so they can stay out of the driver’s hair while driving. There is nothing like trying to open a box drink and navigate a 36 foot motor home on the highway because your 3 year old wants the drink NOW and the teenaged boy is on the potty indisposed and useless to the present issue at hand. But, I digress.
We were heading through downtown Tampa (via the I-275 extension) at about 11:15 PM about 5 hours AFTER I wanted to have departed. During this leg of the journey (and it turns out the rest of it as well) my wife was getting a little anxious with my driving. It was dark, it was wet, she felt like I was going too fast and when the construction barricades came up and looked like I was going to slam into them, and it was all she could do to stay in the right front passenger’s seat. “Tell me when it’s over” and she closed her eyes. The journey continued in this fashion until we stopped at a Cracker Barrel at about 12:15 or 12:30 AM. I think it was off of the Lake City exit, but I really don’t remember. What I do remember is that it was raining. The night outside was misty. The parking lot was ‘out of the way’ and way off the highway. It was peaceful. I took Carmen for her walk. We set up to go to sleep and promptly did so.
Day 2 - Left for another post.

Talons
Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have spent 3 / 4 days at a dozen or more GSP’s along the Rt. 75 & 95 corridors in route to and from Florida in the fall and spring and highly recommend all of them. Like the Veterans Park each have venues that make them worthwhile in and of themselves and usually have points of interest in the surrounding areas that make day trips enjoyable. Some have pretty nice golf courses too. BTY the price is right also.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #10

We tend to stay in Public Parks a lot. I think that the GA state park system is our favourite. We have yet to be disappointed in any of the GA state parks.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParTheCourse View Post
We have spent 3 / 4 days at a dozen or more GSP’s along the Rt. 75 & 95 corridors in route to and from Florida in the fall and spring and highly recommend all of them. Like the Veterans Park each have venues that make them worthwhile in and of themselves and usually have points of interest in the surrounding areas that make day trips enjoyable. Some have pretty nice golf courses too. BTY the price is right also.
ParTheCourse,

You must be golfers I've played the veterans course there. It's just outside Cordele. A couple of years ago (the last time I played there) it was kept in good condition. Still the same??

Dave