RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a Month?

After taking our longest trip (nights & miles) ever next spring I am now looking for locations to spend a month at a time. Our first choice is the above listed area. Below are what we are wanting in a campground.

1) Not exceedingly expensive - maybe even getting month rates
2) Close to the main drag for restaurants, wine/liquor tastings, hiking, biking, etc.
3) A site that would not be to close to our neighbors and for a 41' motorhome
4) Clear sky for satellite reception
5) Of course full hookups
6) Space for using our propane firepit
5) Activities put on by the campground itself would be a plus

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Give them a call. We stayed there once. Beautiful place.
https://www.riverplantationrv.com/

les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Even in Spring, that area get JAMMED with tourists on the weekend. Stay out of the towns ! The rest of the week won't be bad, unless it is college Spring Break !
Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After taking our longest trip (nights & miles) ever next spring I am now looking for locations to spend a month at a time. Our first choice is the above listed area. Below are what we are wanting in a campground.

1) Not exceedingly expensive - maybe even getting month rates
2) Close to the main drag for restaurants, wine/liquor tastings, hiking, biking, etc.
3) A site that would not be to close to our neighbors and for a 41' motorhome
4) Clear sky for satellite reception
5) Of course full hookups
6) Space for using our propane firepit
5) Activities put on by the campground itself would be a plus
I forgot to say when this trip will take place which will be next October/November. My spring trip next year will be out West.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reubenray,
Wherever you choose the October/November time is for silver hairs to have their time in this area. It is just luck if you can get your time to coincide with the leaves changing. For me, November is better. The Christmas lights are on and the Christmas shows have started in all the theaters.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi reubenray,
Wherever you choose the October/November time is for silver hairs to have their time in this area. It is just luck if you can get your time to coincide with the leaves changing. For me, November is better. The Christmas lights are on and the Christmas shows have started in all the theaters.
I guess I fit in the categories of "silver hairs", but mine is all gray. My wife is a kid at heart and loves Christmas, so I may have to do this in November to keep peace in the house. Throw in the chance for her to see snow is another plus for her, but a minus for me. I was born and raised in Louisiana and she was born in Milwaukee.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Douglas Headwaters Campground might suit you as it meets most of your criteria. We stayed in site #57 which was very large, lots of grass and open space, front view was a large view of the lake, back viewed the damn. The damn area offered some wildlife and itís lit up at night, but not so much it would bother you from sleeping. Itís only a few miles off the beaten path down a country road, so itís quiet and scenic. I think Pigeon Forge was maybe 7 or 8 miles away. Smokey Mountain NP was an easy drive.

Unfortunately, only W/E but there is a honey wagon and dump station. There are no planned activities BUT you might like the price. The campground is kept very neat.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
Douglas Headwaters Campground might suit you as it meets most of your criteria. We stayed in site #57 which was very large, lots of grass and open space, front view was a large view of the lake, back viewed the damn. The damn area offered some wildlife and itís lit up at night, but not so much it would bother you from sleeping. Itís only a few miles off the beaten path down a country road, so itís quiet and scenic. I think Pigeon Forge was maybe 7 or 8 miles away. Smokey Mountain NP was an easy drive.

Unfortunately, only W/E but there is a honey wagon and dump station. There are no planned activities BUT you might like the price. The campground is kept very neat.
This would be a great place for a few days, but not a month for us. My wife washes clothes every two or three days so a sewer connection is a must have.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reubenray,

I got just the place for you. Consider The Ridge at https://theridgeoutdoorresort.com/?g...AaAj0pEALw_wcB
It is brand new. Very conveniently located along Veterans Parkway in Sevierville. If you go, let me know. I'll provide my 4 or 5 very favorite LOCAL restaurants for you to try.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #10

Not necessarily fitting every wish list item, but here's some that we've stayed at and have enjoyed (I think the last one fits best) -

https://www.duvallinthesmokiesrvcampground.com/

https://www.smokymountaincamping.com/

https://www.camplittlearrow.com/

https://pinemountainrvpark.com/
Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi reubenray,

I got just the place for you. Consider The Ridge at https://theridgeoutdoorresort.com/?g...AaAj0pEALw_wcB
It is brand new. Very conveniently located along Veterans Parkway in Sevierville. If you go, let me know. I'll provide my 4 or 5 very favorite LOCAL restaurants for you to try.
I need to add this to our list of places to stay down there. Looks very nice and just enough away from the crowds.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Anchor Down is great, but not cheap. It's on a ridge overlooking a big lake. It's right outside of Sevierville in Dandridge, TN.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #13

If you plan to go there in the fall, book very early. Like early next spring. If you wait, it is almost like snowbirding with all of the folks coming in for leaf season.

We just ran across the Ridge last weekend. Looks interesting and a pretty good location.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone stayed at the "Up the Creek RV Camp"?