Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

GC north rim boondocking

So what are the chances I could secure a decent boondocking spot in the North Rim forest for my tall class A moho? I am talking about going there July 1, staying until the next weekend. Maybe going Friday, June 30 would be more successful? I assume there will be alot of people there this time of year? I've never been, so I don't know how plentiful the sites are for a large rig. Thanks for reading

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
So what are the chances I could secure a decent boondocking spot in the North Rim forest for my tall class A moho? I am talking about going there July 1, staying until the next weekend. Maybe going Friday, June 30 would be more successful? I assume there will be alot of people there this time of year? I've never been, so I don't know how plentiful the sites are for a large rig. Thanks for reading
Found this old post -

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...8.cfm#29311128

This is the Crowd season - so - need to be a little lucky,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Thanks for that link, Busskipper, glad to see you have branched out from just Colorado .

Yes, FR22 seems to be the place to go for boondocking. I'm surprised there isn't more info about the north rim on iRV2. Here is another helpful link I found:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #4

Alright, now that I can post photos again, I will make a report on my first trip to the North Rim GCNP, while boondocking in the North Kaibab NF.

I followed the directions from post #3 above. Took FR22 west about 2 miles to a 4-way intersection. Go left on FR270 to a large open area signed as a "Snowmobile Play Area". FR22 is just south of the DeMotte campground off the North Rim Parkway (Hw 67). There are a few smaller campsites along the forest roads (22 and 270) along the way, they were occupied when I was there on that busy July 4 time period. Here is a photo of my campsite:

Like I said, a large open area. Only one other camper was in this area. The North Kaibab NF boondocking is nice because it is free and adjacent to NR-GCNP. Boondocking is not allowed in the GCNP, you only may camp in the official campgrd. Also, NKNP gives you access to many viewpoints of the GC, such as the East Rim, Locust Point and Fence Point, all of which I visited via the Rzr. Here is a photo of FR270:

[IMG][/IMG]

So the NR-GCNP entrance is 4 miles south of FR22 on Hw 67, then another 15 miles to the North Rim Visitors Center. It costs $30 for a one week vehicle entry pass. I was unsure if they would let me operate my licensed Rzr on the hiways there, but I had no problems.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 AM   #5

So in the NR-GCNP I did some of the typical tourist things: drove to Point Imperial, toured the lodge and campgrd, hiked to Bright Angel Point, and down the North Kaibab trail to the Supai tunnel. A couple of local workers there suggested I take my Rzr on Point Sublime road, so I did. It was a very rough, primitive road of 18 miles to Sublime point. I only saw 3 other vehicles on this road, which takes you to an amazing view point of the canyon that is far from the crowds, and no railing to keep you away from the rim edge. I highly recommend the Point Sublime trail if you have a suitable vehicle and the road is not wet. Here are some photos along the Pt. Sublime road.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #6

Here are some photos from the North Kaibab trail going into the canyon. The first is from Coconino Overlook, the second from the Supai tunnel looking further down the trail. A footbridge is visible in the center of the photo. It was a hot day, and the 4 mile round trip was enough for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In summary, if you like the majesty of the Grand Canyon, but don't like the crowds, try the much more isolated North Rim. If you prefer to boondock, use the adjacent North Kaibab NF, especially along FR22. And if you like OHV fun, try the Point Sublime road in the NR-GCNP and the many forest roads in NKNF.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #7

Thanks for the write-up, this is on my list. I would like to do this trip in September but the temps are already dropping. Great pics!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Here are some photos from the North Kaibab trail going into the canyon. The first is from Coconino Overlook, the second from the Supai tunnel looking further down the trail. A footbridge is visible in the center of the photo. It was a hot day, and the 4 mile round trip was enough for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In summary, if you like the majesty of the Grand Canyon, but don't like the crowds, try the much more isolated North Rim. If you prefer to boondock, use the adjacent North Kaibab NF, especially along FR22. And if you like OHV fun, try the Point Sublime road in the NR-GCNP and the many forest roads in NKNF.
Jeff,

You have given away the secret - why would anyone trek to the North Rim - No Crowds and JUST BEAUTIFUL. ....

Might need to tell them about the Bandits and the Trolls that lurk around all the Trees and In the Canyon Trails, just to keep them Honest....

Always good to have some share their own private Paradise in the woods.

Just Imagine those Images with a little white Snow to provide some contrast.

Thanks,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We also have been out to Point Sublime. You do need a 4x4 or OHV to get to it. Most all other NF roads at the North Rim a 2wd will work fine. We haven't been to the South Rim in over 25 years. Once we went to the North Rim that's all it took. Much nicer, less people, cooler, and you can go right out to the edge. Also there's nice drive to go down to Lee's Ferry. You can watch the rafters put in that go down the Colorado River through the Canyon.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
We also have been out to Point Sublime. You do need a 4x4 or OHV to get to it. Most all other NF roads at the North Rim a 2wd will work fine. We haven't been to the South Rim in over 25 years. Once we went to the North Rim that's all it took. Much nicer, less people, cooler, and you can go right out to the edge. Also there's nice drive to go down to Lee's Ferry. You can watch the rafters put in that go down the Colorado River through the Canyon.
x2 took our Cherokee there.Had lunch overlooking the canyon.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #11

Thanks, mbridinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Jeff,

You have given away the secret - why would anyone trek to the North Rim - No Crowds and JUST BEAUTIFUL. ....

Might need to tell them about the Bandits and the Trolls that lurk around all the Trees and In the Canyon Trails, just to keep them Honest....

Always good to have some share their own private Paradise in the woods.

Thanks,
Yes Busskipper, but there was precious little GCNR boondocking info in these forums, so I figured I'd fortify it. After all, the Grand Canyon is pretty well known, so I wouldn't consider it too private.

But on the other hand, I'm not going to publicize the location of my local cliff-camping spot (22 miles from my driveway)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #12

Jeff- your report is more than cool. The North Rim is one of the first places we're going to as soon as we retire, and you've answered a lot of questions for us! Thanks for the info!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, mbridinger!

Yes Busskipper, but there was precious little GCNR boondocking info in these forums, so I figured I'd fortify it. After all, the Grand Canyon is pretty well known, so I wouldn't consider it too private.

But on the other hand, I'm not going to publicize the location of my local cliff-camping spot (22 miles from my driveway)

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks Jeff for the report. I'm in Moab now and was thinking of going to the North Rim,"if not to cold yet" on my way to Zion. Do you think I can get a 40' TH pulled by a Semi to that location? Also if you tell me the location where your MH is hanging over the edge I promise not to tell anyone.
Dennisvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

Thanks, RMBob!

You're welcome Dennis. Just follow my directions from the top of post #4. Yes, if it has not been raining, I think the Snowmobile Play Area would be a good place for your very long rig. It has lots of space to turn around in. Another place you might fit well in is at that 4-way intersection of FR22 and FR270. At that intersection's southwest corner there is a small clearing that hosted 4 campers when I was there. When I go back here, this would be my first boondock choice. It is situated more in the trees than the Snowmobile Play Area, but is closer to the road, so may be dustier. Trade-offs.

And I did disclose the location of my cliff-camping site: It is 22 miles from my driveway

Tags
boondocking