Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Georgia's "Grand Canyon"

Found this unique park today. No camping, so we are staying at Florence Marina which is only 8 miles away. Nice state park with full hookup pull-through sites and cable TV. Almost no one is here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02277.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	31279  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

My wife and I stumbled upon the little grand canyon in Lumpkin Georgia, several decades ago. While you are in the area see if a place run by the college, is still open. It is call Westville. It is always 1850 in Westville. The antebellum houses there have been collected and moved into this area. I think it is a little east and south of the canyon. In the fall, when we were there, they had an Octoberfest, and the college students dressed in period clothing, and actually baked and operated the antique objects of the post war between the states period.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #3

I lived in Columbus about 35 years ago and knew about Westville. We drove by, but it is closed until the weekend. In all the years I lived in the area, I never knew about the canyon. Amazing what treasures are sometimes in our backyard.

We have lived in TN for over 30 years and I still find things that I have not discovered there, but I do think I have been to all of the TN state parks. :-)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

I bought my motor home so I could see the USA before I croaked. On my bucket list is the south and east. I have never been East of Arizona...specifically I have never been East of Phoenix, AZ. I am looking forward to visiting the Southern States and the East Coast, the Lord willing.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

While attending a funeral, in Pulaski, Tennessee, we stumbled upon David Crockett state park. Beautiful site. We will return soon so we can stay when all of the amenities are open
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

John you will enjoy traveling east. Try to make a list of where you want to go. Every state will have interesting sites.
Enjoy.

I too am looking forward to going east this summer if everything goes ok.

Fred
SoCal
2012 Tiffin Breeze
32 Ft
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow john I hope you make it East. It is no comparison to the western states. We live in a beautiful country and to really know that is traveling by rv and finding gems you have never heard of like the GA Grand Canyon.
To the OP, your pic brings back some great memories. My DW and I stumbled across this area a few years back while staying at a timeshare near Dillard. The hike to the river is pretty cool but also very exhausting. I forget how many steps there are, but not a hike for the faint at heart. Thanks for posting and enjoy your trip.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I bought my motor home so I could see the USA before I croaked. On my bucket list is the south and east. I have never been East of Arizona...specifically I have never been East of Phoenix, AZ. I am looking forward to visiting the Southern States and the East Coast, the Lord willing.
Hello John,

Do a little research, for example Georgia has some great state parks and use to give seniors a slight discount. And most have full huck ups.

But, enjoy a lot of cajun food coming thru Louisana.

Ag
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

Georgia state parks rock! Many have full hookups including cable television. We bought an annual pass for seniors and get a discount plus one free night of camping...that paid for the pass almost. In addition to that, they have a plan where you can camp ten nights and get one free. You have to pick up a paper and get it stamped when you check in, but it's easy to do and totally worth it. Most of the parks we have been to have been recently revamped and the bath houses were clean and modern. I think the state is really making a great effort to get people out camping.

Georgia is one of the few states that has both beaches and mountains. Tennessee has some very nice parks and awesome scenery, but the state has not put the money into the campgrounds like Georgia has. Many of our state parks need a little TLC.