Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gettysburg, Hershey, Lancaster then Atlantic Beaches

We are re-thinking our previous plans to travel to the west in Sept, Oct. Been out West four times and DW loves the beach and neither of us have ever been to Gettysburg, Hershey or Lancaster, PA. So, we are thinking of making a loop from Gettysburg to Hershey and down to Lancaster. Then head over to Delaware coast and down to Ocean City, down Eastern shore to VA Beach, then maybe visit Outer Banks, stop in Emerald Isle, then end up in Myrtle Beach (we have reservations there beginning Nov 1.)

We've been to all the beaches but haven't for many years except Myrtle. Know nothing about the Delaware beaches so interested in any input on those. Also any suggestions about the Gettysburg, Hershey, Lancaster loop.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Also any suggestions about the Gettysburg, Hershey, Lancaster loop.
Kinda depends on how much time you want to give it. Gettysburg needs at least a full day. Hershey - depends on your plans; Hersheypark, Chocolate World? Lancaster? Probably 2 or 3 days, again depending on what your interests are.

Hershey & Lancaster could possibly be done from one campground, as long as it's not in the east end of Lancaster County. There's an incredibly long list of stuff to do in the Lancaster area, too.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 05-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

While in the Lancaster area, go to the Sight & Sound Theatre. It is absolutely fabulous. The shows are Biblically themed. We've been twice, and I wish it were closer to us as we'd go every time the show changes if we could.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
While in the Lancaster area, go to the Sight & Sound Theatre. It is absolutely fabulous. The shows are Biblically themed. We've been twice, and I wish it were closer to us as we'd go every time the show changes if we could.
Living in Lancaster as I do, I've never seen a show at Sight and Sound. Right now they're doing "Jesus", through at least the end of September. Advance tickets might be a good idea: sight-sound.com.

Roger
Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

Hershey is a fantastic place. Recommend visiting Chocolate World (it's free except for the chocolate you will most likely purchase). [emoji4]

We stayed at the Hershey RV park (forget the exact name) just down the street from Hershey Park and Chocolate World. They have shuttle service making it very convenient and easy to enjoy the park, etc.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

If you plan your trip you could take in the large RV show in Hershey, I think it's in September,and do chocolate world also.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
If you plan your trip you could take in the large RV show in Hershey, I think it's in September,and do chocolate world also.
It's 9/12-9/16. Camping reservations in the area are VERY difficult to get. I think they do allow some boondocking at the site.

Roger
Old 05-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The Hershey RV park also does boondocking once their FHU sites are full. You can then use their shuttle to the rv show. The rv show also has boondocking in the fields across from the show but it is a long walk over.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We are re-thinking our previous plans to travel to the west in Sept, Oct. Been out West four times and DW loves the beach and neither of us have ever been to Gettysburg, Hershey or Lancaster, PA. So, we are thinking of making a loop from Gettysburg to Hershey and down to Lancaster. Then head over to Delaware coast and down to Ocean City, down Eastern shore to VA Beach, then maybe visit Outer Banks, stop in Emerald Isle, then end up in Myrtle Beach (we have reservations there beginning Nov 1.)

We've been to all the beaches but haven't for many years except Myrtle. Know nothing about the Delaware beaches so interested in any input on those. Also any suggestions about the Gettysburg, Hershey, Lancaster loop.

Thanks.
Delaware beaches - Delaware Seashore State Park, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware - get a place now if you can, right on the inlet - is the good the Bad is it is literally just a Parking Lot.

If I were you I'd skip the PA loop and head to the beaches and bump my way south - Great time of Year - getting yourself all the way to say Hilton Head and either the Marina or the MotorCoach resorts (Or Both) - then head to the Mountains - Lake Toxaway Mountain Resort then follow the Blue ridge parkway back home with the change of the leaves.

https://www.hiltonheadharbor.com/

Home - Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort

The Summit of Luxury Motorcoach Resorts in the Blueridge Mts

Biggest issue with My plan is the CG are some of the best out there, DW might be difficult to get to stay in a Wal*Mart ever again ......

Just a thought,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Delaware beaches - Delaware Seashore State Park, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware - get a place now if you can, right on the inlet - is the good the Bad is it is literally just a Parking Lot.

If I were you I'd skip the PA loop and head to the beaches and bump my way south - Great time of Year - getting yourself all the way to say Hilton Head and either the Marina or the MotorCoach resorts (Or Both) - then head to the Mountains - Lake Toxaway Mountain Resort then follow the Blue ridge parkway back home with the change of the leaves.

https://www.hiltonheadharbor.com/

Home - Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort

The Summit of Luxury Motorcoach Resorts in the Blueridge Mts

Biggest issue with My plan is the CG are some of the best out there, DW might be difficult to get to stay in a Wal*Mart ever again ......

Just a thought,

I agree that I'd like to skip the PA loop and do it another time. Just need to convince DW of that.

We have reservations at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach for 3 weeks beginning Nov. 1. From there we need to head home to VA for Thanksgiving with family.

We've been to Mountain Falls and it is indeed a beautiful RV resort in the mountains. Those sites on top with the stunning view were under construction when we were there.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
There's a lot to see and do in the Lancaster area. In addition to what was mentioned, the nearby Train Museum is worth the stop, and lots of Amish shops, markets, and even check into a tour of an Amish home. We toured one 2 years ago, where a family is living. The woman baked homemade bread for us, and we were able to see most, if not all the rooms in the home. On second floor, they has dozens of handmade quilts and other hand-crafted goods, for sale if you were interested, and absolutely without any pressure to buy anything. The home is to this day, still lit with 12vdc bulbs and batteries, but the 'work shop' had an engine driving (large) belt-powered machinery.

There are lots of CG's in the area. We go every year, and have stayed in several. If you go to Old Mill CG, which is also a property with an amusement park of sorts, ask for a site on the opposite side of the roller coaster.

Delaware. Well, there are some very nice beaches here (I live 15 minutes from them), and as someone mentioned, you can stay at the Indian River State Park CG. Full hookups, but no shade trees. They do have restrooms and good access to fishing and nice beaches. If you are retired Military there is a Military CG just down the road, for cheap, and right at the limits of Bethany Beach. A new CG was built right on the water, just down the road from me, called Masseys Landing. A bit pricey until after Labor Day, but might be worth considering.

Another option is Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, but this will be no hookups; just water and a central dump station. There is a lot of history there, and it is also has a nice beach. While you are in the area, Lewes is a really nice and quaint little town that has good restaurants; some on the waterfront. There are a few other CG's in Delaware, a new one just off Route 1, north of Lewes, Homestead doesn't offer much other than a clean, open site with full hookups. No amenities to speak of.

When you head south to Maryland, you have lots more choices. In the Ocean City/Berlin area, there is Frontier Town, Fort Whaley, Castaways, Assateague (State Park), and Pocomoke River CG. Assateague is worth a stop if you are interested in the wild ponies that inhabit the island. There is a boardwalk, hiking trails, kyaking, paddle boarding, and more, if you like any of that. There is also a good visitors center, with lots of displays and info about the area.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #12

Add Jersey Shore

It's an easy trip from Lancaster to the Jersey Shore - after Labor Day the campgrounds and beaches are empty during the week. We like to visit Sea Isle City, Avalon, and Stone Harbor during the day. We camp at the Thousand Trails Park (Lake and Shore) only a few minutes away. We recommend the Cape May Ferry to Lewes DE and stay at Cape Henlopen SP, some of the cleanest beaches you will ever see. Beautiful park with bike trails (paved mostly) and only 7 miles from Rehobeth. These towns were the highlight for us compared to the Southern States and Fl. After Labor Day, parking is free and so is admittance onto the beaches. The beaches in the 3 towns I mentioned are all public, each with nice boardwalks and places to sit and relax. And it's not so hot - 70's and 80's typical in Sept, Oct. (It has been unseasonably warm in NJ the last 3 times we have visited).
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #13

Will be headed to the Lancaster area next week. Will be staying at Flory’s Cabins and Campgrounds. Looks to be in the middle of the Amish community.
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We just stayed at The Resort at Massey's Landing for a week. It's a nice park, but a decent drive to get to any of the true Atlantic beaches such as Rehoboth, Dewey, etc. We also have stayed at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. The sites were rebuilt a couple years ago and now all have 50AMP hookup and water, but still the central dump station. There are a lot of trails in the park and the Fort Miles Museum looks nice, even though we missed it being open.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote