Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
We (2 grand kids + wife and me) spent 6 nights at Artillery Ridge CG. Go here for CG information and my review.

This post is not about the CG. It is about Gettysburg and the battle field. Our NPS has done an outstanding job of constructing an awsome visitors center. With all there is to do, at the new center, we spent an entire day there. We took a bus tour to get our bearings and a high level of understanding. We were here about 25 years ago, but we're really newbees at Gettysburg. It took us another day to tour day 1 of the battle. Another day was touring day two of the battle. We walked the same ground the Confederates walked as they attacked Little Round Top and Culp's Hill. Day three of the battle was the next morning. The next day we toured President Eisenhower's farm. I wanted to walk accross the field where Pickett's charge took place, but the high grass and fences made that impossible. A day was spent at some of the local attractions. All areas are open to the public. Only common sense restrictions apply. The battle field is very well maintained.

All prices (gas, groceries, restaurant, etc.) are quite reasonable. We stocked up on groceries at the local Giant super market, on Route 30 East of Gettysburg and the wife commented how good the priced were. Regular gas was 3.89/gal. I didn't check diesel. I didn't need any and all the local stations would be very difficult to get a coach into and out of.

If you go, consider trying Pickett's Buffet. Adults at $6.95 and kids are $1.99 for lunch.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We (2 grand kids + wife and me) spent 6 nights at Artillery Ridge CG. Go here for CG information and my review.

This post is not about the CG. It is about Gettysburg and the battle field. Our NPS has done an outstanding job of constructing an awsome visitors center. With all there is to do, at the new center, we spent an entire day there. We took a bus tour to get our bearings and a high level of understanding. We were here about 25 years ago, but we're really newbees at Gettysburg. It took us another day to tour day 1 of the battle. Another day was touring day two of the battle. We walked the same ground the Confederates walked as they attacked Little Round Top and Culp's Hill. Day three of the battle was the next morning. The next day we toured President Eisenhower's farm. I wanted to walk accross the field where Pickett's charge took place, but the high grass and fences made that impossible. A day was spent at some of the local attractions. All areas are open to the public. Only common sense restrictions apply. The battle field is very well maintained.

All prices (gas, groceries, restaurant, etc.) are quite reasonable. We stocked up on groceries at the local Giant super market, on Route 30 East of Gettysburg and the wife commented how good the priced were. Regular gas was 3.89/gal. I didn't check diesel. I didn't need any and all the local stations would be very difficult to get a coach into and out of.

If you go, consider trying Pickett's Buffet. Adults at $6.95 and kids are $1.99 for lunch.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gary,

Couldn't agree with you more about the area. Indeed, the NPS has done a masterful job with all of their presentations. The new visitors center is truly amazing.

Diesel is currently 4.79/gal at the truck stop off 15 north of route 30. We are heading east on thursday and will top off the tank after we finish with our Michelin problem up in Biglerville.

Safe travels, Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wanted to walk accross the field where Pickett's charge took place, but the high grass and fences made that impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Gary, I might point out, this didn't work out too well for Pickett either.

When we were there, limited time available restricted how much of the battlefields we could visit. We were really impressed with Eisenhower's home. At the time it was maintained in such a way that you almost got the impression that they were just gone for a little while and would be back shortly.
Gettysburg is one of the "must visit" places. We'll probably go back now that we have the MH and can stay longer (being retired helps too). Thanks for all the info you posted.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
HI All,

I can't agree more with the above posters, it is a wonderfull place to go!! Also if you go and your health allows, do the Battel Field by horseback ! It brings things to a whole new leavel !!! I was going to stop by on my way back from Fl. this past spring, but since it was raining, and was going to do so for the next 3 days I passed it up !!!

Also if you enjoy here, another great place to go is: Come see where America began "” Virginia's Historic Triangle: Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown !!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #6

We've visited a large number of Civil War and Revolutionary War sites, and none compares to Antietam. Gettysburg has a better presentation, and you can really understand why a battle/war is won or lost visiting here, but the sheer pathos of Antietam is hard to beat. Of course, we got there about 10am after awaking to hard rain at our tent camper near Gettysburg, so maybe that's partly why we appreciated Antietam so.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We are in Gettysburg now, and all I can say is

Wether you are blue or grey, what happened here staggers the imagination......

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Our very first motorhome trip was to Gettyburg back in the spring of 1998. Been there many times before and after but always with the same feeling of awe.

I agree that Antietam is a great historical complement. I always made it a point to discuss with my boys the losses at these battles compared to our losses in Viet Nam or Iraq. Although all soldiers who give their lives are equally heros, the total loss of life among those hallowed grounds is mind boggling.

We also make a point to visit Harpers Ferry which is near by. There you have the history of Lewis and Clark, slavery and the Civil War all coming together. Plus a very nice KOA that is biking distance from the shuttle bus.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We toured Gettysburg again last year. Since DW and I are both from the PA area and had both been to Gettysburg before, it was a good opportunity to revisit the area and, once again, try to understand the tremendous loss of life that is represented. We used the 3 hour CD based tour to drive to the points of interest and found that the creators of that did an excellent job of compiling the information in a way to help our imaginations understand better each of the complex situations that made up the battle.

We had previously toured Vicksburg, using the same approach. Though not as physically large as Gettysburg, it was another of the most important battles of the Civil War, taking place over a much longer period of time. I'd recommend doing both as a way to understand the contrasts. I hadn't understood before that tour that the Union soldiers had actually try to re-route the river around the Vicksburg fortifications.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote