Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #15

We stayed in Columbia Falls on both of our trips at Mountain View RV. Further west of the park but we liked it because it's central to other activities. The last time we visited, it was late May. '11 and the 'Going to the Sun Road' was still closed(snow)...this is a spectacular must do drive that requires a toad(area rentals are available), so although we drove it 3 times on the first trip, we were pretty disappointed.

Driving the roads around Hungry Horse Reservoir and its side roads were good for seeing moose, eagles and a few small waterfalls. Even with the Jeep, we couldn't get to our favorite falls because of all the snow in the higher elevations around the lake.

Depending on the severity of this Winter, waiting to visit early in June might be the best time to hike in the Park and surrounding areas.

Edit, oops, just saw post #14...never mind.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsudad View Post
Thanks very much We plan on staying on the east side this trip as we are coming from South Dakota . Will probably try St Mary's This site is so helpful.
As you plan, be aware US Highway 2 is a good route to the west side of the park (and where most of the National Park resources and facilities are). US Highway 2 is a good route with a motorhome and toad.

Only the "Going to the Sun" road, which is within the park, has a limit excluding most RV's.

Just want you to know your options.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #17

Glacier is at the absolute top of my list. We booked for 7 days at North American RV Park in Coram, 5 miles from the west entrance, last July. We had so much fun and saw so much that we stayed an additional 4 days.

There is nothing on the east side. We did see this huge male grizzly dumpster diving along Hwy 89...near the KOA at the south end of the lake by the St. Mary entrance. I told the park ranger about it going back in...but she did not seem either surprised or interested. I read that 5 days later from when the picture was taken, a woman was severely mauled and one of her dogs killed by a grizzly at Duck Lake...just 6 miles north on Hwy 89.

If you like to hike...sure hope your bear spray works. I prefer to carry something a little more serious for protection. Sleep tight.....

You can drive that 30' class A in the east entrance and park in the transportation lot...then take the free shuttle buses...or red tour cars...anywhere in the park and over the Going to the Sun road. Breathtaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3260.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	54590  
Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
IMHO, the drive up to Logans Pass from the east side
is ugly compared to the drive up from the west side.
Columbia Falls RV park is excellent.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #19

I think you have convinced us to travel a little farther to the west...... Thanks all.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #20

Glacier NP

Quote:
I, we would like to stay and visit glacier national park. Any suggestions for a nice place? We have a class a 30 foot MH and a pet. We are seniors and like to hike and sightsee. Thanks for any suggestions Doug
I like to stay at San Sue Ed RV Park close to the West Gate of the Park. They have full hook-ups, clean shower house, and bake buns in the breakfast kitchen.
Chuck
Old 01-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #21

View from Johnson's RV Park in St. Mary, Mt. near the East entrance to the park. Being up high gives a very nice view of the park.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #22

It is a beautiful area and most of the RV parks are good. Besides, hopefully you are in the park, not the RV, LOL
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #23

I just did a trip with 28ft trailer in Sept/Oct 2013. I traveled from Ohio and it was my first time hauling besides a horse trailer but I adapted very fast. I have to say even after adapting I am very grateful I did not haul to the KOA on the east entrance. I opted for Glacier Meadows on Rt 2 however, the daily drive on Rt 89 was a chore (the sunrises and sunsets were beautiful). I could not imagine trying to haul a camper on that road - no guard rails, straight rock faces, sharp turns, high winds and free range horses and cattle who ARE in the roadway around turns. I do NOT recommend driving that highway at night unless you have a death wish in a camper or a car!!! I drive for a living and I left later than planned getting off of Going to the Sun Road - it took me 2 hours white knuckle driving at 20-25mph with near misses of cattle and horses and crazy winds whipping up and bouncing you around on the roadway ( I was in an full size truck even ) and I almost pulled off and slept in the truck until morning. The only reason I didn't was due to the rock slides and no guard railings. Unless there is an atlernate route for campers that I missed...if so please someone please speak up as I am going again this year in the summer. I am opting for the west entrance for a campsite and decided to drive Going to the Sun Road daily to get to the east side of the park.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #24

A drive to the Canadian side (Waterton Lakes National Park) is also recommended. Google Earth still shows the Townsite campground right at the edge of town of Waterton. Lunch at the Prince of Wales hotel is a treat and has a fabulous view out the big windows.

Quote:
I think you have convinced us to travel a little farther to the west...... Thanks all.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclimber View Post
Unless there is an atlernate route for campers that I missed...if so please someone please speak up as I am going again this year in the summer. I am opting for the west entrance for a campsite and decided to drive Going to the Sun Road daily to get to the east side of the park.
You probably took the short cut on Hwy 49...from Hwy 89 to Hwy 2 at East Glacier Park. That is not a good road...even for the toad.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
The KOA at St. Mary's is an excellent choice. That is where I stay. Get stocked up on supplies before you arrive. There is a grocery store about a mile away, but everything there is really expensive.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national