Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Glacier National Park Canada

Hello fellow travelers,

We are planning a month long road trip that will take us up to Calgary for the stampede and west to Seattle. Along our route on Canada 1 appears to be several state parks, Banff and the Canadian version of glacier park. The campgrounds in glacier do not accept reservations. Has anyone stayed there and if so was it crowded. Will I be able to find a nice spot in the summer months. Any suggestions on state parks or campgrounds in the area would be great. We prefer campgrounds to RV parks. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
Knagy2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knagy2688 View Post
Hello fellow travelers,

....The campgrounds in glacier do not accept reservations. Has anyone stayed there and if so was it crowded...

Kyle
In summer all of them are packed and I went in June! As soon as schools let the kiddies out for the summer the parents hit the road to the National Parks.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Calgary, Stampede Week , if you don't already have reservations, you're probably not going to get them this year. The place is a ZOO , during the Stampede.
Waterton Lakes N.P. Canadian side of the border from Glacier ; I've only stayed there in, mid Sept. and it was 3/4 full then. Mid summer they will be full; particularly on week ends. I'll see if I can post a link to a web site for them.
St. Mary, Montana , KOA, was our site for staying while we toured through Glacier N.P.. The main road through Glacier , wasn't open to over height vehicles, low tunnels & rock cuts. About 13 years since I was there , so any comments I'd have would be dated.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Apgar campground west side , no hookups right on lake . Will accommodate the largest rigs. Stay outside park and go in late morning should be something open.
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

You can search, R.V. sites in Canada's National Parks, or go to

www.travelalberta.com
and go through to Waterton Lakes.
Info there for Waterton Townsite Campground , where I stayed while there.
Online and toll free reservation info.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried Glacier Meadow RV Park? Gets you into the area quite nicely.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Travelling early in the season, we have never experienced a problem staying in any of the western national parks. Worst case, they have a few no-hookup overload campground areas to accommodate RVers when the campgrounds are filled.

I believe the best time to travel in the Western Canadian National Parks is late May and June, before the busy season when kids are out of school for the summer.