Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Glacier NP and the Rockies

Leaving Chicago for Glacier NP early in August. We’ll be towing a 24’ trailer with my motorcycle on it behind our 40’ TS. The “plan” is to head for St. Mary’s first, spend a few days there, head west to West Glacier (RT 2) for a few more days, then turn towards the west side of Yellowstone NP (bike trip to Beartooth Pass). From there we’ll head towards Zion NP and then to Vail and then meander home.

The idea is to find suitable roads for the MH that are close to good rides for the bike. The fact is, as much as I love the MH, there simply isn’t anything better than seeing the world from atop a bike. The smells and panorama are unbeatable! The MH enjoys the super slab and the 4 lanes while the bike prefers the two lane twisties (polar opposites!). I’ve been through the Rockies several times by car and bike, and from what I’ve seen, there’s more than a few roads that are not on the “recommended” list for the MH . If you have any suggestions . . . . .

This will be my first time at Glacier NP and I’m looking forward to the “Going to the Sun” road on the bike, and a few more on the west end of Glacier. What I’d really appreciate is some “guidance and advice” on where, and more importantly, where NOT to take the MH. Finding good campgrounds is always a challenge with a rig 64’ long and I like a little advice on that subject too.

More advice is better than less advice, so what say you experienced travelers?

GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Thread supervisor --- this thread needs to be moved to a different forum

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Gary......you're in for a beautiful trip. If you don't have this publication already, it's an excellent resource for driving a big rig through mountainous regions.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

Thanks MoBlue - I bought the e version and it looks good.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You're welcome.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

Gary ~ We just got back from Glacier yesterday. Lots of good riding up there but be aware of the free range livestock around Glacier's Park. I would stay off of HWY 89 south of Choteau. There was a lot of construction down there. Hwy 2 from I-15 was pretty good all the way up to Browning. Hwy 89 from Browning up to Babb was fine, maybe a little twisty

Hwy 2 was good all the way around the south end of the park up to and including Columbia Falls.

It was a great trip, we came up from Colorado into Wyoming and then across to the Tetons. Spent a few days there and then Yellowstone and finally up into Glacier.

We were in a 40' DP with a Toad.

Have fun

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #7

One Correction, my other half pays much better attention. It was HWY 287 south of Augusta were we hit all the construction and we were detoured across on HWY 21 onto HWY 89 up to Choteau. We were headed north from West Yellowstone up to East Glacier Park.

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Thanks Chris. My intended route has us arriving on the east end of Glacier then heading west towards Kalispell, then south from there. That will avoid the construction area you talked about.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Been riding since I was a kid. It is easy to be looking at the scenery and lose track of where the road is for an instant. Please be careful on the Going to the Sun and the Beartooth both - especially the Beartooth since there are few guard rails. I slip there and you can end up on a steep ride for a few hundred feed down the side of a mountain. I doubt my hog could get back up that kind of ride. Safe roads to you.