Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Glacier/Waterton National Parks.

My wife and I are planning a return trip ,in Aug 2014, to Waterton National Park in Alberta. ( BTW It's possibly the most beautiful of our National Parks) then we'd like to follow on through to Yellowstone National Park.
Has any one driven the US 17 / Alberta 6 hiway recently? We have a 34" Class A and a small toad. I've heard this hiway is in constant upgrades and wonder if I should plan a longer route. Thanks for any input.

2008 KSDP/2013 Flex
They're both paid for and they're ours!
rlott2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
is that the one comes over the montain if so your to long i think

hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
We drove US 17/Alberta 6 from south to north in July, 2013 with our 38' DP towing our full size pickup. No problems with length whatsoever. Good road all the way but watch for open range livestock for quite a distance on US 17. South of the CA 6 junction to Waterton there is a hill 5 or 6 miles long at about 6%. You may wish to unhitch before entering Waterton townsite as the streets are fairly busy and narrow before you get to the campground. As you can imagine, the border crossing on this route is not too busy.

By the way, the KOA at St. Mary, MT is pretty nice with full hookups. Nice staff people who will help with tours, if you wish, and other local suggestions. They were also nice enough to receive and hold some rv repair parts for us until we arrived. Waterton and the east side of our Glacier Park were highlights of our trip. It is spectacular!

US 89 south of St. Mary is slow with many curves and short grades down to Browning, MT. Very doable but slow and not too scenic because I was focused on the road.

Have fun!
Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400
2012 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Thanks, thats excatly what I wanted to hear. I've heard they have been working on that hiway (us17) for some time. I have a 34'gasser towing a ford focus, so I'm used to 40mph up the hills. Looking forward to this trip, we stayed in Waterton a few years ago and it is Canadas secret treasure.
The info for the us campgrounds was also greatly appreciated.
2008 KSDP/2013 Flex
They're both paid for and they're ours!
rlott2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Coming around from the south, and this is old info , it's been 12 years since I've been around the parks . Avoid Montana 49, it is a shorter route than going through Browning, from East Glacier Village, but, after the turn off to ; Two Medicine camp ground; the last 5 miles is marked no trailers.
For very good reasons.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote

national, water