Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

Go West young man...

Bucket list trip out West in the summer of 2017 planning is on my "start to do" list! Seeking advice on routes for....Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. We plan on 4 months with a quick drive out that way from our Florida home. Departing mid June ish. We are a 33' Class A GAS coach and tow a jeep. Soooo..how does that work on the big mountains out there?? Should we stick to the interstates and just go out in the jeep. It sounds like a jet engine sometimes descending and ascending some of the hills we did last summer and they were not even close to the big boys out that way. Going up/down in low gear in the slow lane and just disregard the folks behind you is what it ended up being essentially. Flatlander Floridians on the road . Out passion is fly fishing and we love the back country roads in wide open spaces. Small towns make us happy!

With that being said can anyone tell me your favorite must do spots in those four states? I make reservations as I like to know where we are going so we have kind of a schedule. Thanks so much for your help and advice in advance! Cindy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

We really enjoyed Salido, CO if you get that far south. That might be one others won't already suggest.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Last summer we did SD, Wy, and Mt.

Montana has so much to offer. We went to Red Lodge (Beartooth Hwy) plus it's a neat town. Bozeman Mt. where we visited the Museum of the Rockies, and Big Sky, Glacier National park was the highlight of the trip (Going to the Sun Hwy) fantastic. Use the red bus tour. We actually liked it more than Yellowstone. It was like being in the Alps but the people spoke English.
We used Jackson Hole as our base in western Wy and for visits to Yellowstone. It was a bit of a drive, but we wanted to see Jackson as well so it was a compromise.

God luck with your travel plans and Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

If you want to tour the western states you are going to have to drive in the mountains. Some mountain roads are much better than others. I highly suggest you get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' through the publisher as Amazon sells it with a very high price for some reason. It should be around $24 or so. They now have an app, also.

We were from Michigan before beginning full-timing so we weren't familiar with mountain driving either. However, we soon found you don't see anything from the interstates and from then on we traveled secondary roads, including mountain roads. It just takes doing it to be comfortable with it. Know your RV and use your gears correctly. Don't wait until you're on the downhill side to get into a lower gear. Do it at the very top. Going up, yes, you might have 'followers' and this does make one nervous. Have your passenger look far ahead to spot a long enough pull-over spot and do that, if you can. That's all you can do. Don't get uptight about mountain roads. They are an important part of your western travels.

I certainly wouldn't get a campsite along the interstate and do day trips to see things just to avoid the drives.

Do you do any dry camping? If so, you'll find the spots much nicer with more room and usually within a small town area. Those are always our first choices for campsites. Making countless reservations would be like a job. We just look on maps for areas we want to explore and head that way. We honestly have never been turned away because of no space We've even done this in the major national parks such as Yellowstone. You do have to park close by the previous night and get into the park early morning. Some campgrounds aren't even reservable and Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Parks have them.

For flyfishing we always enjoy Ennis, MT along with Livingston, MT. In Idaho we love the Stanley area and there are many dry campgrounds to stay right on the river. It's difficult to fly fish in the national parks as the easy accesses have been hammered by thousands of other folks. Trout are smart and even smarter when they've seen the same fly over and over.

Since you have a Jeep consider some mild Jeep rides, if possible. Lake City, Colorado along with Ouray, Silverton and Durango Colorado have access to awesome trails of all abilities. You won't be alone on them as they are very popular. We really like southwest Colorado the best.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Word of advice "It always takes longer than you thought".

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:00 AM   #6

I90 in Montana is a nice ride. Go all the way to Coeur dAline ID and then Farragut State Park at Athol ID. Make sure you see Yellowstone, Glacier, Tetons and Mt Rushmore! Wonderful!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Cindy, if you really want to see the west (and small towns) you gotta get off the Interstates. Given your length, you should have no problems on state highways. Sounds like you already know to take your time in the mountains, that is key. Yes, the best sightseeing - and certainly fishing locations - will be accessed from your Jeep.

Rivers like the Missouri are plenty large for a heavy fly rod but there are many smaller rivers and streams on which a lighter rod works very well (so bring both). Renting a boat at Craig, MT (Headhunters fly shop is great) for a fishing trip down the Missouri is a mighty good time.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

Hi Cindy,

We basically travel the west given where we live. That means a lot of mountain driving. Blue roads when possible and interstates when we want to make time. As a generalization, once you get past Denver, you will be doing mountain driving. I have seen some huge motorhomes on some pretty small roads with tight turns so you should not have a problem.

Regarding reservations, we always do so for popular places just for the peace of mind. It is sort of a mix and a judgement call. Arriving early makes a difference. We leave early and try and stop around 14:00 or thereabouts.

Some states, like OR and WA offer state campground publications. Have not looked for others. We carry a KOA campground book as a fall back.

Here is a web site I use when planning to visit a new area:
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Have fun, there is a ton to see and do. One thing we are talking about is trying to follow the old Oregon Trail. Depends on one's interests and then chart a route. I find planning part of the fun of travel.

Cheers, GT

p.s. I also look for places where our dogs can run off leash given the breed.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #9

Cindy, as others have said use the interstate when you need to make some time and miles and the state roads to see the area. You'll have no problem with mountain driving, take the time you need to be comfortable behind the wheel. Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt Rushmore should be on your bucket list. Jackson Hole is a wonderful place. Enjoy you trip both the planning and the drive.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

This depends on your interests, but..........................Montana University has the most amazing Dinosaur museum you can imagine. Words can't describe it. 2nd, I forget the town, but there's a car museum/old west museum somewhere not that far away. Stuff that belonged to Wild Bill and others, and cars, cars, cars. You have lots of time, these 2 are a must do. There's also a large aviation museum in Mt, I think in an old dirigible hangar, and next time I'm going there as I love the old planes.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench View Post
Bucket list trip out West in the summer of 2017 planning is on my "start to do" list! Seeking advice on routes for....Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. We plan on 4 months with a quick drive out that way from our Florida home. Departing mid June ish. We are a 33' Class A GAS coach and tow a jeep. Soooo..how does that work on the big mountains out there?? Should we stick to the interstates and just go out in the jeep. It sounds like a jet engine sometimes descending and ascending some of the hills we did last summer and they were not even close to the big boys out that way. Going up/down in low gear in the slow lane and just disregard the folks behind you is what it ended up being essentially. Flatlander Floridians on the road . Out passion is fly fishing and we love the back country roads in wide open spaces. Small towns make us happy!

With that being said can anyone tell me your favorite must do spots in those four states? I make reservations as I like to know where we are going so we have kind of a schedule. Thanks so much for your help and advice in advance! Cindy

If you leave Florida and get into the San Juan's you might never go Home.

Check them out.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #12

There will be plenty of places to fly fish, at least there are a lot of nice streams. I'm thinking that one of the biggest fly fishing thrills would be to find a guide and fish for steelhead, although your trip may be at the wrong time of year for that.

I'm with those who advocate using interstates for speed in traveling between points and highways to get to the areas you plan to visit. That's what we've always done. Locate the areas that are of interest to you and plan routes that will eliminate as much backtracking as possible.

Mountains are just flatlands with a few curves and hills thrown in. I can't think you'll have any trouble. Just be careful going down hills, sometimes they last a long time and you will have to gear down at the top to save your brakes. Find "Wolf Creek Pass" on youtube and listen to it. I see it as humor with a subtle message.

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mountains are one thing. You'll go over them slow but that gives you a chance to enjoy the scenery. Don't ride your bakes going downhill. Start down mountains slowly.

The other thing you are going to have fun with is the wind. Again go slow in the wind if it is blowing you around, and it will.

Usually the wind doesn't pick up until around noon so leave early in the morning.

You are going to appreciate the really smooth roads you have in Florida after this trip.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wench - not sure what your situation is but it sounds like you are just starting down the coach road and are retired. Strongly recommend that you adopt our travel rule that the "the journey is the destination". If you look at your routes and you cannot talk about what you're gonna see, you probably need to relook your route. We've spent 6.5 years and almost 400,000 miles seeing the USA (and some of Canada on our 2 drive trips to Alaska). We have loved it. The first 4.5 years was done in a huge SUV staying mostly at military installations (we are retired Army). With our coach we are fulfilling a dream we had of sharing our beautiful country with our grandchildren.

We've used the Home Page | ROAD TRIP USA site to help us with some routes. It is a great start point of things to see. Combine that with forums like IRV2 and some others and you will soon have a great journey.

I must confess, some of the Plains States we now "blow thru". But even in these places are some interesting stops. Most you cannot visit from interstates.

Now the mechanics of mountain driving. Tow/Haul, Tow/Haul, Tow/Haul. Learn how to use it. Then make sure you've got a solid supplemental braking system in your Jeep. I'd do a forum search maybe over at IRV2 F53 for tutorials on the Tow/Haul.

Couple of other points. Some states will ticket you if become a moving road block. I think the number I remember is 5 vehicles behind you and you must use pullouts. And oh yeah, why hurry if the "journey is the destination". Your coach WILL pull any mountains.

I can only hope you will enjoy the road as we do. I call it taking a bath in our history.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote