Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going to Louisville, KY

So I'm going to Louisville, ky to pick up my new TT/TH and was wondering if anyone had inputs on a place to stay when I get my trailer and stay the night. I looked at some in close to the dealer so if I had issues and they seem more like trailer parks for full-timers??? I would like to find a CG that is for campers only and get to work-out some of the bugs. I will be close enough to the dealer that if needed I can have them help me with anything. We took a few extra days so that on our way back to VA (route 64) we could find a few cool places to see and stay over. So please let me know of any place to stay/ not stay if bad. I hope to see some sites on the way back. Thanks
buelldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #2

Greetings,
Two years ago we stayed at Yogi Bear Jellystone Park just west of Scottsburg, IN. A nice park with full hook ups and straight up I-65 from Louisville. It is about 35 miles north on Highway 56 west of Scottsburg. This would fill your needs nicely and the park is quiet at night. Light traffic around Scottsburg. Walmart is just about a mile down the road from the RV park. Safe travels and enjoy your RV!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Check out Charlestown state park! It’s a great campground... very large sites and about 15 minuets from Louisville! It happens to be one of our favorite campgrounds . We live in the area.
MimiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes agree, Charlestown Sate Park. We love to stay there. Great sites, easy in and out of park.
wndshldgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
+1 for Charlestown SP. you will not be disappointed there and close to Louisville.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #6

Charlestown SP. It has many FHU sites.

You don't mention where in Louisville. A good approach to Charlestown is to cross the river on the eastside bridge/tunnel. I-65/265 is ROUGH.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Don't forget about the tolls on the two bridges going north, I just hate tolls-----might want to stay in KY --- Horse park in Lexington on the way home!
Old 09-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

thanks for the replies, can you tell me about any local places to grab a bite to eat that are "local" not chain food.

really looking forward to this trip, first chance at time off this year.
buelldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
If you are staying at Charlestown, check out Cast Iron Steak House in Jeffersonville. Small local place with a good steak.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Another vote for Charlestown SP. Also for Cast Iron Steak House in Jeffersonville as well as Captain's Quarters in Prospect. Delicious delmonico at CISH & best salmon I've ever had at CQ. We were at CSP in July - ate at both & enjoyed very much.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #11

I have no idea what part of Louisville your dealer is located, however there is parking lot/CG? (ran by the Derby folks) beside the Kentucky Derby track with FHU that is mostly vacant until Derby time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Now that Ray mentioned Churchill Downs. State Fairgrounds also has some spots but may not be FHU.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #13

If you do decide to use Charlestown SP (it IS very nice!), be watchful on Hwy 62. There are two roundabouts just off I-265 on 62. They are tight (semis seem to routinely find themselves on their sides by going too fast). the drivers around here can't seem to get the hang of them and struggle to comprehend the road markings. If you use Hwy 62, go slow with the roundabouts and watch for the lane-changers.

There is a little Mexican restaurant in Charlestown on your way to the SP called La Pasidita (just past the Hwy3/62 junction on 62... look for the train car on the left). It's a hole-in-the wall place, but they have the BEST home cooked traditional Mexican food north of Nogales. Excellent stuff!
AllenIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Can agree on those roundabouts. Americans just don't seem to understand how they work or how to properly enter/exit them.

We ate at La Pasidita & weren't impressed. Maybe we just got bad service but it wasn't like they were busy. The place has only 5 tables & there was only 1 other family there & I'm thinking they were relatives of the restaurant owner as the kids kept getting items off the grocery shelves & I didn't see anything get put back. The food was OK enough, but we were sat right under the AC vent so our food was cold within 2 minutes of it being brought out. Once served, I never saw our waiter again & had to hunt him down in the back room to get our check.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote