Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #1

Going to Bar Harbor from southeastern PA.

Looking for nice RV parks for a 40' class A.
We will be going in mid September.
rvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
welcome rvpa. glad you found us. we hope you continue to join us.

it has been a long time since i've been up there. i;m sure someone will come along soon with the choice CG's.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #3

We were just there in June, stayed at Timbeland Acres, Trenton, ME. 15-20 minutes north of Acadia National Park. Nice park and super nice people runing the place.

www.timberlandacresrvpark.com

1999 F-250 SD/Ext.Cab/Diesel
mokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #4

I was reading about the Maine Campgrounds and am excited as I have not been back to Maine since 1993. We were readigng that the CG's that accomodated 40' rigs were scarce up there. Sounds hopeful. We plan to be up there in mid August thru Oct 1 to have some summer and see dead leaves later. We will base ourselves either near Brunswick or Augusta.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Location: Full-Timer (Thousand Palms RV Resort - Inverness Fl)
We worked at the KOA Augusta/Gardiner last year and will be back next year. Augusta is about 20 minutes away and Brunswick is about 45 minutes - Booth Bay and coastal towns about 45-60 minutes. The campground can handle 40' plus - 50 AMP full hookups available. It is a wooded campground - beautiful. Heated Pool and a couple hundred yards to a great lake (they call it a pond) - kayaks and canoes available for rent. The CG is about 8 miles from the closest town (Gardiner) - all superstores available in Augusta right off I-95. Local TV stations are easy to get - CG does not have cable or satellite - we use our Direct TV dish and an air card for the computer. The area is beautiful, very secure and quiet - owners are great people. There are lots of small town stores and neat things to see and do - lobster at $3.99 a pound when we left and mussels
at $ .99 a pound. Brunswick is still open but as you probably know they are on the Brac list. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM - we will be up there the 3rd week of April - they open up the 2nd week of May and close the 2nd week of October.
MCPO Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

We stayed at http://www.oceanfrontrvcamping.com/ in Belfast, ME this past September. Really a nice spot right on the water. Young family run and very nice folks.

We found staying there in our 40" MH was close enough to everything (using our Jeep) including Bar Harbor. Great restaurant right at campground. Downtown Belfast was a real treat.

2010 Ford Edge
Barry and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #7

We will be staying up in the Augusta area which should give us access to all of my old haunts and family. Thanks for the referral to Belfast. It looks like a beautiful campground. Carol has not seen Maine except Caribou. I did stay at the Augusta KOA back in the late 70's and am glad to hear it is still there. As I recall they had an old fire truck they would give kids rides in.
August 15th really looks good for us.
Phil
Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Phil - you will find the KOA in Augusta in much better shape from what I hear. No fire truck but we do have hay rides on Saturday for all ages of kids - Pancake breakfast on Sunday - candy hunt for the kids on Saturday night - give me a shout when you get there - us Navy guys will show you around.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Phil,
Check outFreeport/ Durham KOA. It's close to Brunswick and about 10min from LL Bean. It will handle 40'.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We stayed at the Freeport/Durham KOA last summer and were satisfied with it.

It is close to LL Bean. We stayed 4 days.

Don't trust your GPS. Plan your route on a map and follow it. The GPS will make corrections as you travel accordingly. We followed GPS and went on some roads that were narrow and twisty-turny. Would have been great for a motorcycle ride.

I think most travelers program the GPS for fastest route. Up in New England, fastest route can be cross-country instead of a long way around interstate, but the roads are not great going cross-country.

Plan ahead!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #11

Thanks for the all the good info. We may split the difference between the campgrounds as I have a son in Portland and a brother near Augusta. We are looking at a window between 15 Aug and 1 Oct. I figure it all goes down hill after the 1st of Oct.
Master Chief, I was in Philly (74-75) and then Newport (75-79) as a Corpsman. Almost got duty with Brunswick NAS but stayed at Newport. Picked up a commission in another service and the rest is history.
I look forward to some good ole Navy guidance.
Phil
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Have a safe trip. Actually the leaves start changing around the beginning of October - the KOA actually closes around the 15th; as do the majority of them. We found the entire summer to be great - low humidity compared to Florida and even had to run the A/C about 5 days. We are looking at doing a trip out west next year - like to chat about NM and there abouts. Looking forward to meeting you - won't hold that Army signature against you.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #13

I'd be glad to offer any help or info I know about the West. We seem to have a lot of beach out here. Once we leave Maine I want to slowly go South and look at the sights. Once we get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I have ridden the Dragon until I am tired of it we will head back to Albuquerque. We will spend Holidays with Family and then head either to Yuma or Corpus Christi. Thought it was WWII by all the prop planes flying out of NAS there. We really like that area. Yuma and Q are where the hardcore go. Huge flea market, over a million RV's in one place and generally a very fun event. We may go there as we are looking at some minor changes in our rig and you can do it very cheaply there. Going to Port A on Mustang island could allow an old guy with a surf board and wet suit an opportunity to surf every day as the temps are close to Florida's and it is less expensive. Once we are in Alb we will toss a coin and read tea leaves to figure our next move. I found weekly rates to be less than East Coast rates, plus there are no toll roads
Phil
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
geez....! You guys sound like we don't even have running water up here in the woods! Watch out for the indians when yo do come!
Ya know we haven't seen a black fly or a tourists for months now!

PS, If you need any advise or guidance on those twisty turny roads, let me know. I have been driving all over thenm for years. Might even be able to help on CG advise. Take a look at Shore Hills in Boothbay or Baileys in Scarborough. There are plenty more to choose from. I've seen most of them.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote