Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #1

Going to San Diego and campland

Hi folks,

I will be diving m longest distance and time to San Diego which will take over 7 hours and I have to go over the grapevine. Any suggestions from veteran RV'ers appreciated.

I reserved a spot at Campland on the Bay. I would love tips on making the stay more enjoyable from those who have been there.

Thanks,

simblafontc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simblafont View Post
Hi folks,

I will be diving m longest distance and time to San Diego which will take over 7 hours and I have to go over the grapevine. Any suggestions from veteran RV'ers appreciated.

I reserved a spot at Campland on the Bay. I would love tips on making the stay more enjoyable from those who have been there.

Thanks,

simblafontc
Hope you have fun in "America's Finest City" - We do.

Campland is very nice, albeit a busy little place with lots of families. If you were hoping for a quiet and relaxed RV park, Campland may not fit the bill.

(EDIT) If you have any specific San Diego questions - shout out. There's lots to do, Spring is here, and it is beautiful!

If you have never driven Southbound I-5 beware, Grapevine to Lebec is quite steep and it makes the RV work pretty hard. Take your time to keep the engine temps cool.

Best of luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Campland is very nice, albeit a busy little place with lots of families. If you were hoping for a quiet and relaxed RV park, Campland may not fit the bill.
+1 That's putting it mildly!

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

We are also heading to San Diego this weekend although it's only an hour or so drive for us. We looked at Campland and they have a lot of fun things for kids betweent he ages of 3-15. Because our daughter is 1 we decided to stay at Mission Bay RV Resort which is literally right across the water from Campland and half the cost.

Click this link and you can see exactly where it is from Campland:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Missi...Diego,+CA&z=15

We are going to try out Mission Bay but in a few years I know we'll be staying at Campland because our daughter will be of age to partake in all the fun.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #5

Wow. Thanks everyone for the information. We are there to see my son race at San Diego Crew Classic. Campland was our choice primarily for the location. We will only have bicycles for transportation other than the RV. Haven't made the leap to get one of our cars setup as a Toad. We might be stuck with beach time and watching races.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks,

simblafontc
I live in San Diego area.
I would suggest that if you are coming from Sacramento. When you get to the 210 frwy. above Los Angeles take it E to i-15 then come in that way to San Diego. will save you a little time and a lot of frustration. JMHO
Have a safe trip
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Wow. Thanks everyone for the information. We are there to see my son race at San Diego Crew Classic. Campland was our choice primarily for the location. We will only have bicycles for transportation other than the RV. Haven't made the leap to get one of our cars setup as a Toad. We might be stuck with beach time and watching races.
This is SoCal...San Diego is not really set up for biking everywhere and the bus system leaves much to be desired.

Really - I would rent a car on this end or rent a U-Haul dolly to get your car here and home.

You will want the car for most everything...grocery store, dinner out, Sea World, or just a drive up the coast.

And, Ditto on the post above...Take I-5 to I-210 east to I-15 south. That will avoid the whole L.A. Metroplex and all that traffic...it's more than 30 miles farther, but much better time. You can cross back over to I-5 on SR-56 or SR-52.

Best of luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I live in San Diego area.
I would suggest that if you are coming from Sacramento. When you get to the 210 frwy. above Los Angeles take it E to i-15 then come in that way to San Diego. will save you a little time and a lot of frustration. JMHO
Have a safe trip
Agree, especially if you are coming through anywhere near LA rush hour times. If you check the distance it's not much further, and nearly always faster and less stressful.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote