Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Going to the Rio Grande Valley for the winter

Just booked January and February at Llando Grande in Mercedes TX. Pretty excited about being in better weather. Would appreciate anything anyone might share. The first concern for us is the El Niņo being forecast and what to expect. Last winter in Arizona ( our first winter RV trip.) we had to buy short sleeve shirts and shorts. Nice problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be prepared for LOTS of wind.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Visit South Padre and a trip to Progresso Mexico - Yup get the shorts and Tee shirts ready
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Be prepared for LOTS of wind.
Wind? Last time we wintered in the RGV, we heard mention of it being breezy. The TV weatherman said the wind was blowing 30MPH that day. We never got a chance to put out the awning the entire winter for fear of their "breeze".
It rained one day, brown rain. The truck and 5er were covered with mud, the neighbor advised me to hose it off before it dried or I had a chore on my hands.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

We stayed in Harlingen 2 years ago and had wind but last year in Mission not so much. It was wetter than we would have liked but neither of us remember much wind. That's only a few miles west of Llano Grande.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 11-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today we had cold front blow in, temps in the mid 50s. Records for this date high 90 low 33. The West end of the Valley gets less wind and rain. There was flooding in Weslaco a few weeks ago. We had much less rain in Mission (Palm View)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
We've spent several winters in the RGV and the last two winters were rather nasty to say the least. Cold and rain the entire winter unlike years ago when it was warm and dry the entire winter. We are leaving in a week and a half and I have lots of sweatshirts and jeans loaded already. It is windy there but sometimes that can be a good thing. One thing that always surprises us is how very accurate their weather forecasts are. They will tell you almost to the minute when the cold front is coming through and nine times out of ten they hit it right on the head. Even with the El Nino forecast there will be nice days too and there are lots of things to do. If you go to Progresso MX and are able, park on the American side of the bridge and walk across. It will cost you $2, unless its gone up but we feel we'd rather leave our car on the US side. Mexico has lots of very good dentists and many pharmacies along with lots of other attractions.
There is the Don Wes Flea Market in Donna to visit along with numerous Farmer's Markets all over the valley. South Padre is well worth going to see and we love the birding opportunities in south Texas. There are many publications available which cover the Valley in great detail. Stop in at the Weslaco Chamber building and pick up all kinds of literature. The is just east of the corner of Texas 88 and Business 83. Check out the HEB grocery stores. They are a wonderful place to shop and there are numerous Walmarts located throughout the RGV too. Have fun!
Deon-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

RGV And Border Crossings

I spent all of my Summers as a child in Harlingen and fondly remember the many trips to the Drive Inn in Matamoros. I still have family down there and as others have said here, Progreso is the crossing of choice these days and walking is best for many reasons. I've had dental work done right there next to the bridge and I always eat at Arturo's. It's a couple blocks down on the left side. For candy (tequila-filled chocolates) and prescriptions, I always use Linda's about a half block down on the right. She also has the whole run of leather goods and other gift items. It's a big store. I don't know if it's still there but as you walk back across the bridge, there was a sandbag-covered 50-mm machine gun emplacement that you had to walk around. I found it rather comforting actually. But then again, I'm a bit strange anyway.
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter