Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
If you choose Hwy 77 instead of Hwy 183, I suggest a stop in LaGrange at Weikels Bakery. Great kolaches, klobasnikis, bread, cinnamon rolls. And if you miss that bakery, try the Czech Stop bakery in West just north of Waco on I-35. And in Waco, visit Texas Ranger Museum. And the Dr. Pepper Museum. Enjoy.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #16

Cooper's in Llano is absolutely our favorite.

Rudy's is mostly a franchise and inconsistent across the locations (up here in Denton it's awful). Real Texas BBQ does not need sauce, yet Rudy's touts theirs (guess they need to hide something under the sauce ).

Kreuz's (specifically for sausage), Black's, and Smitty's.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Kat's BBQ between angleton and galvaston #1 for sure
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #18

The Salt Lick in Driftwood TX
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #19

Lockhart is the BBQ capital of the world.

Go to Smitty’s.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #20

TJ, So where are the rainy day Q spots 'round Seattle?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry you couldn't make it to Lockhart or Luling, but the truth is it would take a couple of days to do this venue justice. Daniel Vaughn at Texas Monthly is a great resource for best BBQ locations. As to comments about the sad state of Texas BBQ, it is like anything that becomes popular in the food realm. Opportunists wish to cash in on a trend and do no more than what's absolutely necessary to offer a mediocre product from a highly visible location on a highly traffic'd road to an often gullible public, i.e. Rudy's and Texas Smokehouse and all of it's various clones at travel stations on the interstates. It irritates me no end that folks from other states would stop at these places and think that they're getting Texas bbq. We live in Longview and recently one of our Bodacious locations has broken ranks with the other stores and started producing a great example of Texas Q and found themselves listed as one of the best in the state. I've been there and they are worthy, much love, time and care invested in their product and it shows. Good luck with your search and be sure to report your experience when you get back.
sho4go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Only open on Saturdays, but Snows in Lexington, TX was rated #1 recently by Texas Monthly. (Beat out Franklin's). There's actually a mom & pop RV park there where we like to stay. (Sonny's RV park)
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #23

When Rudy's first started it was outstanding. Now it varies from location to location, but still a good concept at serving and cooking. Nothing fried and nothing much to wash.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Only open on Saturdays, but Snows in Lexington, TX was rated #1 recently by Texas Monthly. (Beat out Franklin's). There's actually a mom & pop RV park there where we like to stay. (Sonny's RV park)
Just as a note, Arron's place burned down a few months ago - I'm not sure he has rebuilt yet.

Were are you going to throw out anchor while in Waco? Speegleville Park (COE) is nice, and the full hookup sites at Midway are limited (maybe 6?). Other options include the expo center (Extraco Events Center) and there are two spots at the Scott & White Hillcrest Hospital (in the back).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Just as a note, Arron's place burned down a few months ago - I'm not sure he has rebuilt yet.

Were are you going to throw out anchor while in Waco? Speegleville Park (COE) is nice, and the full hookup sites at Midway are limited (maybe 6?). Other options include the expo center (Extraco Events Center) and there are two spots at the Scott & White Hillcrest Hospital (in the back).
We are staying at the I35 North RV park in Elm Mott. We stayed here for two days a couple of years ago. The owners have made a lot of improvements since we were last here.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Go to Homestead Heritage in Elm Mott. Learn about blacksmithing,, pottery,, woodworkking, timber framing. Great gift store. Great visit.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Go to Homestead Heritage in Elm Mott. Learn about blacksmithing,, pottery,, woodworkking, timber framing. Great gift store. Great visit.

ronspradley
They've got a great restaurant too!

Just noticed in my above post that I misspelled "Aaron" (Ay-Ay-ron). Sorry Mr. Franklin!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I live in Austin and I've never had Franklin BBQ. Sorry, there's no BBQ on earth worth waiting in line for a couple hours. Happy for him and the cult following he has achieved, but not for me.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas