Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Good campground for kids in the south

Hello everyone.

I am trying to plan our summer trip and was looking for some first hand recommendations on good campsites for kids in the Southeast. We live in Florida and can go anywhere from GA, AL, MS, AR, TN, SC and NC. We have a 35 foot class A and need 50 amp hookups. Our kids are 3, 7 and 9.

In the past we have tried the jellystone park in FL which was nice. Unfortunately, we recently stayed at a "family friendly" site near LEGOLAND that had several permanent residents who were not happy to see kids, and didn't mind letting us (and the kids) know it.

After this experience, I figured I would seek some first hand advise before booking our next trip. I like to fish, and the kids like activities, so anything with an amusement park nearby and/or lots of onsite activities would be great.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try any of the North Myrtle Beach campgrouns which are right on the beach, but make your reservations early as they a busy during the season. Look them up on line. I'm sure all have 50amp hookups

Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

Stone Mtn...NC

We stayed at Stone Mtn State Park in northern NC last March and loved it. No amusement parks per se. but we camped right next to a babbling brook and it was gorgeous. The kids (7, 9, 10, 10.5) loved it. They could wade in the water and walk on the rocks. They went hiking. All in all it was really nice, peaceful and quiet.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Ive always been happy with KOA's when traveling with children. Most (most I've visited) have family activities including pancake breakfasts, movie nights, and often some type of activity. Many just have playgrounds and perhaps a game room. The KOA reservation site offers a list of activities at each campground and photos of the campground. Sure I have been to a few KOA's that are just "OK", but many have been exceptional. We haven't traveled east of the Mississippi, so I have no specific recommendations.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

TN

I just saw that you also said TN. We stayed a few nights at a lovely small park in Pigeon Forge. It's called Up The Creek (www.upthecreekrvcamp.com) and it was wonderful. 2 creeks come together to frame the campground. It is out of the way yet very close to all the Pigeon Forge/Seiverville activities and theme park. There is also an indoor water park in the area that allowed daytime visitors that my kids really liked.
We would go back here in a minute!
Hope this helps.
Stacey
Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Ocean Lakes Campground, Myrtle Beach SC is good. They have lots of activities for kids of all ages. They do fill up quickly for the summer but you may still be able to get a site. They have tie dye, fire truck rides summer camp for kids, ceramic painting and some other things. Have fun where ever you go.
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #7

Cherokee NC KOA right on the river , Lots and lots of thing to do right in the campground. My kids loved it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
If you can stretch to KY, try the Prizer Point campground right on Lake Barkley. We used to go there for Easter break when my sons were younger and they still talk about how much fun it was.
- fish off the dock with crickets
- rent a pontoon boat with a slide
- Land Between the Lakes has a planetarium, bison range, and 1800's homestead
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #9

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvosweetie View Post
Ocean Lakes Campground, Myrtle Beach SC is good. They have lots of activities for kids of all ages. They do fill up quickly for the summer but you may still be able to get a site. They have tie dye, fire truck rides summer camp for kids, ceramic painting and some other things. Have fun where ever you go.
X2 for Ocean Lakes! Lots to do for kids of all ages, very well kept facilities, paved roads with concrete pull through pads, pools and lazy river, skate park, and the beach right at you. Close to good food and entertainment, if you need to leave the campground at all. This is a very friendly, family owned camp ground.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
Hi, jellystone at Tabor City nc not far from Myrtle Beach is great for kids.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flamingo Lakes RV park in Jacksonville. Nice lots, a large lake with many water features for the kids. A great onsite place to eat. Evening activities, Great little bar. Give it a try. We had a blast.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If this isn't too far out of your way, check out Cajun Palms in Henderson Louisiana, its about 15 miles east of Lafayette. www.cajunpalms.com
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #13

Stone Mountain Park in Atlanta would be worth a look also. Lots of things to do in the park, and in metro Atlanta. I'm not a real big fan of the camoground, but I do like the Park as a whole.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

Stone mountain in Atlanta, GA is excellent. We went a few weeks ago and are going back for Memorial Day. The park has lots of activities for the kids. They also have a Great laser show every night. Check out their website and you will see all they have to offer. I have also been looking at Nashville Shores camping resort Nd water park. It looks great for kids. Both if these places offer discounts to their attractions when you camp there as well.

Tags
campground