Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Goosenecks State Park, Utah

Planning a trip in September and would like to stay a couple nights at Goosenecks State Park. It is boondocking from I understand, but that's fine by us.
The site lists 8 campsites, but reviews I have read state that you can basically camp anywhere. Anyone know what the deal is there, if that is the case? We have a 28' motorhome and will be towing a Subaru.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

The last time we were there it was 'park anywhere' with an outhouse. Since then, I've heard they re-did it slightly and added a fee but don't know what that entailed.

It's o.k. to see and perhaps drive to but I see no reason to stay there and we normally love boondocking. It's certainly not a typical state park as you might think. You can get about the same view from Page, Arizona along the highway.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9834723@N03/7993979990
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 AM   #3

baraf, I plan to visit Goosenecks SP also late this summer. I've never been, but it looks like a great place to extend my cliff-decking experiences. Google Earth shows it also has some very interesting roads to take my Rzr over.

Now twogypsies, I know you liked to travel the backroads, but please don't tell me you drove the Moki dugway in your motorhome. This is 8 miles north of Gooseneck.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #4

LOL....no, we came in from the south at Mexican Hat. The Moki Dugway was driven with the Jeep.

At the north end Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument has some nice hiking trails - using wooden ladders to get from place to place, and there's boondocking up there for big rigs. The park's campground is great for small rigs.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

We stopped at the Goosenecks our last time through there. Sure the view at Page is nice, but it doesn't compare to the Goosenecks. It's definitely worth seeing.

I don't think I'd plan on spending more than a night there. It's too close to other nice places like Monument Valley or Natural Bridges or even Canyonlands that all offer so much more for your exploration time. If you go from there to Natural Bridges, take the long way, not the dugway.

Enjoy!
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #6

So baraff did you make it to Goosenecks SP yet? I made it there at the end of August. It was definitely worth going, the views are spectacular. I only was able to stay 2 nights, but took my RZR and did a lot of OHV riding, I will definitely go back when I have more time. You are correct, they will let you park about anywhere you want along the dirt road. I will do a write up later about my trip for the OHVers, but here are a few photos of my campsite and my "room with a view", as I was able to drop my deck over the cliff edge and see the river 1000 feet down.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Here's a picture of Horseshoe Bend at Page, AZ. They are very similar, I think.

If just driving through it's worth a stop. The viewing is along the highway and there's a trail to get below.

Both are beautiful to see if you're lucky to view them when the water is blue rather than muddy. Clearer water will be in winter to perhaps April/May - before the monsoons begin. The monsoons carry lots of water from neighboring streams/washes and that's how the Colorado gets muddy.

We rafted the canyon in May and throughout the whole 9 days we had crystal clear water. Our drinking/cooking water came from that river although it was filtered first.

Horseshoe Bend Arizona
Old 09-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #8

Yes, tg, I visited Horsehoe Bend a couple of years ago. It too is beautiful, but has no road access, so camping like this is not an option. You seem to have been all over North America, is there any other place that would allow cliff camping like this that you are aware of? I have heard Malibu may have some spots like this, but I would imagine paying more than the $10 nightly fee I paid at Goosenecks
Old 09-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
is there any other place that would allow cliff camping like this that you are aware of? I have heard Malibu may have some spots like this, but I would imagine paying more than the $10 nightly fee I paid at Goosenecks
You DO like to live on the edge, don't you?

The only other 'over the edge' parks that come to mind....and we've not been there but heard about them... are Malibu RV ocean view sites @$145-$180 and Sea Perch RV in Oregon much cheaper at $85.

Oregon Coast RV Park Resort | Oceanfront Vacation Rentals by Sea Perch

We enjoy the much cheaper public parks or free boondocking! In your home state of Arizona there a dry camping area in front of Lone Rock on Lake Powell. If you park on the top level just beyond the gate house you would have a 'cliff' experience overlooking the beach and lake. We've been there a few times.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #10

Thx for the info, tg. I'll need to start a slush fund if I want to camp a couple days at that Malibu site.

I studied that Lone Rock site at Lake Powell on Google Earth, looks very interesting. Looks like you could also camp on the beach there. I have lived in AZ for 26 years and have never spent any time at Lake Powell. I will try and remedy that oversight sometime.