Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Canyon

I understand Az is going to foot the bill to open the canyon for 7 days. Never been there before, but going up there from Flagstaff. I only know about Desert View CG, but have no idea if it is private, or part of the park system.

I just heard about Mathers CG being open, but no info is available what size rig they can handle, as well as Desert View. I don't even know where Mathers is.

Anyway, heading to phoenix for the winter. Would like to hit the GC on the way down, instead of the way home in late April.

Anyone know what size rigs either will hold, if Desert View will be open, what size they can handle? Really flying blind at this point in Missouri. We don't even know at this point when the park opens in the Spring. Any help would be appreciated.

John...

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Desert View closes down for the winter Oct 15th? We were there last year in September. It is dry camping, but so is Mather. I think Mather is open year 'round.
We loved Desert view, much quieter than Mather. I saw some large rigs in there too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Mather is 30ft limit. Was there 2 weeks ago and had a great time.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Desert View closes on October 15. I doubt there will be anything available inside the park without reservations. They are generaly booked year round.
There is an RV park in Tusayan just south of the entrance on route 64 with full hook up. Grand Canyon Camper Village.
There is also Ten-X campground just north of Tusayan, but I believe it closes on the 15th also.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Since you have a choice of during this temporary opening time or in spring, I think you'd have a more enjoyable time in spring.

Right now is going to be a madhouse and the campgrounds are iffy if they'll be open or not. With our 40' motorhome we got a spot in Desert View which is on the east end of the park - the more quiet end, but not many big rig sites. It's dry camping and on Hwy 64. Mather is for 30' sites, dry camping and near the 'hubbub'.

Trailer Village, also in the 'hubbub' area of the park, is a concessioner campground with big rig sites and full hookup. If you can get a reservation at this late date, that's the one I'd recommend if you want to go now.

The park itself is open year-round. We've been there in Feb, March, June, Sept, Oct. Not sure on the campgrounds and water though. It gets cold in winter. We stayed in Sedona in Feb and just drove to the Canyon for a daytrip that time.

Try to go for the spring.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

The North Rim is prettier and may not be so mobbed

This place is open until 10/15.

http://www.kaibabcampervillage.com

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. Looks like Spring at this point. We're 50' pulling the trailer, so even in spring looks like staying outside park, unload cycles and ride in.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

clyon51: why are you saying you 'have' to stay outside the park? You will fit in Trailer Village just fine and is the preferred place to stay - IN the park. We have a 40' and tow a vehicle - approx. 60'+
Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The animal's are wonderful

If we remember anything from a month long journey out west it will be the wildlife at Trailer Village! These photo's were taken right in front of our Coach. We were there for 7 days and everyday was filled with Elk and Mule deer right around our camp site and all over the whole campground for that matter. We were in the last row,K-76 in the back of the campground with nothing but woods and animal's out in front of us! Wonderful to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09191.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	47750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09178.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	47751  

Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
clyon51: why are you saying you 'have' to stay outside the park? You will fit in Trailer Village just fine and is the preferred place to stay - IN the park. We have a 40' and tow a vehicle - approx. 60'+
I guess out of ignorance We didn't do our home work good before we left Mich, as we figured the park would be closed. Then the niece texted AZ was going to foot the bill for a week. The stumbling block was all the Fed websites and resverations were still shut down. As she described to us.

When I left Mich, all I could find was Desert View for a GC. Mathers and the rest were a surprise to me (although I figured there has to be a place for big rigs there someplace).

Actually, all we wanted to do was spend an hour or so looking into the big hole, spend the night and head to Waddell Az the next day We had no desire for the "hubbub" part of the Canyon.

Anyway, I guess we have plenty of time now to do our reseach before late April. I guess my only question now is, is late April too early to enjoy the canyon?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #11

Late April is a perfect time for the Canyon...and do stay IN the park at Trailer Village...you'll be glad you did and you might even stay longer than one night! Have a good winter..
Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks twogypsies. No doubt on the way home we'll have more time and will spend several days