Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #15

We are from Indiana and we did that trip in a little over 2 week. You will be fine and not feel rushed. I do agree with twogypsies about momument valley, one day is plenty there really! If you are like us you are use to driving long hours. We drive 10 hours a day to get out west and some 11 hour but we both take turns driving! You will have a great time!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies everyone,there very helpful.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #17

When we want to visit the Grand Canyon, we stay in Flagstaff which has more restaurant choices and the park we use is near BLM land so our dogs can run free.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
Ok I made reservations as follows. What does everyone think?

Monument valley. sept.16-18 at Gouldings campground
Arches,Moab,Canyonlands. sept.18-22 at Portal campground
Capitol reef. sept.22-24 Thousand lakes Campground
Bryce. sept.24-26 Rubys campground
Zion. sept.26-29 Zion river resort
Grand Canyon. sept.29-oct.3 Trailer village campground
Sounds like a great trip. We full time workers have to do what we can do. You will hit all the high points and discover that you will probably want to go back for a more concentrated visit to one or more places. One of mine was the Grand Canyon. I spent 15 days inside the canyon, on two subsequent trips.

Good luck and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	125126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	125127  

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Sounds like a great trip. We full time workers have to do what we can do. You will hit all the high points and discover that you will probably want to go back for a more concentrated visit to one or more places. One of mine was the Grand Canyon. I spent 15 days inside the canyon, on two subsequent trips.

Good luck and enjoy.
I love rafting. Any recommendation for a short trip while at Grand Canyon?
We went to badlands,yellowstone and black hills last September for 2 weeks and had a great time and learned the do's and don't that trip so we will be better prepared next time. Hoping to do the same on this trip.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
There are no short rafting trips at GC. You have to do either the Upper (5-7 days), Lower (8-10 days), or the whole canyon (14-16 days).
Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #21

Quote:
There are no short rafting trips at GC. You have to do either the Upper (5-7 days), Lower (8-10 days), or the whole canyon (14-16 days).
Didn't figure there was. Buddy and I was thinking bout doing a week long rafting trip down the Colorado a couple years back just never have yet.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Didn't figure there was. Buddy and I was thinking bout doing a week long rafting trip down the Colorado a couple years back just never have yet.
Thanks for the reply.
Nevertheless, you have reservations at some very nice places and you will see some stunning sites. 6 NP's and Monument Valley in one trip is pretty impressive.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
When we want to visit the Grand Canyon, we stay in Flagstaff which has more restaurant choices and the park we use is near BLM land so our dogs can run free.
Flagstaff is a long way to tour Grand Canyon. How often during your stay did you drive there?

I don't believe there is any BLM land around Flagstaff to let your dogs run. You were either on national forest, Indian Reservation or private lands.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #24

Quote:
We went to badlands,yellowstone and black hills last September for 2 weeks and had a great time and learned the do's and don't that trip so we will be better prepared next time. Hoping to do the same on this trip.
There are some short trips but you won't get to the middle of the Canyon where the national park has it's main operation.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...er-rafting.htm

We did a 9-night trip through the Canyon. To do it, at dawn we hiked down the Bright Angel Trail from the South Rim in the park and met the rafts that had started on the upper portion at Lee's Ferry. We took the place of six who's trip was ending. They had to hike UP the trail to get out. I recall that we met them about 1/2 mile from the river as they were hiking UP and us DOWN. They were huffing and puffing and asked "how much farther"?!! That trail is extremely steep and we always wondered how long it took them to reach the top.

Even the last 2 miles for us was painful going down. We were leaning over our boots constantly. The rafts were waiting for the six of us and enjoying lunch. We arrived and they allowed time for us to take off our boots and soak our weary feet in the cold water and then fed us lunch. If you ever get a chance, do the trip. It's an experience you'll never forget. Our 9 nights ended at Peach Springs on the Havasupai Indian Reservation.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #25

Just returned from the trip your planning. Reservations are really helpful in places like Zion (Watchman Campground) otherwise you might struggle finding a place that you fit in. Bryce you can do from Zion in the toad. Reservations should be made in Moab area as well for Canyonland and Arches NP. We really enjoyed Dead Horse State Park and Valley of the Gods as well. Monument Valley is an easy drive but that changes after a rain into a rough mess. When we planned our trip 3 months out I struggled to find places as lots of campgrounds/sites were already booked. Part of our trip was over the Easter/spring break week which compounded it. If your plans change as ours did we cancelled a night in Watchman to stay in Valley of Fire SP in NV. The first come first served campsites were generally gone by 1pm that would fit my 40 footer. It's stunning country and each park is unique.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
There are some short trips but you won't get to the middle of the Canyon where the national park has it's main operation.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...er-rafting.htm

We did a 9-night trip through the Canyon. To do it, at dawn we hiked down the Bright Angel Trail from the South Rim in the park and met the rafts that had started on the upper portion at Lee's Ferry. We took the place of six who's trip was ending. They had to hike UP the trail to get out. I recall that we met them about 1/2 mile from the river as they were hiking UP and us DOWN. They were huffing and puffing and asked "how much farther"?!! That trail is extremely steep and we always wondered how long it took them to reach the top.

Even the last 2 miles for us was painful going down. We were leaning over our boots constantly. The rafts were waiting for the six of us and enjoying lunch. We arrived and they allowed time for us to take off our boots and soak our weary feet in the cold water and then fed us lunch. If you ever get a chance, do the trip. It's an experience you'll never forget. Our 9 nights ended at Peach Springs on the Havasupai Indian Reservation.
I've done both and I will take the hike up vs the hike down any day. Too much pounding on the knees. Either way, you have to be as prepared as possible, but like the saying goes, "the only way to prepare to hike the Canyone is to hike the Canyon." It is a mountain in reverse. I agree, it is a lifetime experience. However my next trip will be the full canyon. Probably 2017 or 2018. No motorized trips for us. If I get my way, it will be a dory trip.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
I've done both and I will take the hike up vs the hike down any day. Too much pounding on the knees. Either way, you have to be as prepared as possible, but like the saying goes, "the only way to prepare to hike the Canyone is to hike the Canyon." It is a mountain in reverse. I agree, it is a lifetime experience. However my next trip will be the full canyon. Probably 2017 or 2018. No motorized trips for us. If I get my way, it will be a dory trip.
I agree...no motorized trip. We had the oar boats and one rowing boat which we could switch to if we wanted. One day I decided to row. We didn't have enough momentum to clear 'Upset Rapids' and guess what? Yep, we upset right in the turbulent water. Six passengers and the guide flipped out like popcorn. When we were all pulled into the boat we had recovered only 7 paddles and we still had to go through that rapid. We made it and the rest of the tour was on the beach waiting for us. The guides were filming the whole thing so we got a movie of our 'upset'. The guides estimated that the rapid was 20-25' high that day. The water was crystal clear for our whole trip - awesome. Sometimes it can be brown. We did the second trip of the season in May. We wanted the first tour to go first! Hope you make your dory trip!!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I hope we are not hijacking the thread, but it does say Grand Canyon. I think you have a better chance to have clear water in the Spring. In the late summer or fall it's 50/50. We had clear water about 1/2 the time on each of the two trips. The purist say you need to experience it in it's natural state, but it does complicate things like water purification and bathing.

Turquoise meets Colorado