Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Does anyone recommend the GC RR RV park as a place to stay for a 3-5 day visit to the Grand Canyon? They seem to have a pretty good 3 day deal AND they have a pet condo to take care of our 4 legged "child."

We're planning our trip from the SE to the NW and want to take a few days in May to see the GC. Is there a "best" way to see both north and south rims, e.g. stay at one place and drive the toad or plan to move from one rim to the other?

Any advice and info is appreciated.

OpaRon
FMCA, NKK, SKP, PPA, WHR, ROD, ACN, GOOD SAM
2005 DSDP (4009)
2002 4RUNNER TOAD

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #2

Does anyone recommend the GC RR RV park as a place to stay for a 3-5 day visit to the Grand Canyon? They seem to have a pretty good 3 day deal AND they have a pet condo to take care of our 4 legged "child."

We're planning our trip from the SE to the NW and want to take a few days in May to see the GC. Is there a "best" way to see both north and south rims, e.g. stay at one place and drive the toad or plan to move from one rim to the other?

Any advice and info is appreciated.

OpaRon
FMCA, NKK, SKP, PPA, WHR, ROD, ACN, GOOD SAM
2005 DSDP (4009)
2002 4RUNNER TOAD

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

It's an all day drive from the South rim to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon around the East end. There is a CG about 20 miles North of the North Rim. Inside the park (North) are several dry camping areas. I think pets are prohibited there also.
The South Rim has a campground, which must be reserved when school is out.You may learn everything on the NPS website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are booked at the GC RR RV Park mid March. I can give you a review then.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We absolutely loved the Train ride to the rim. The campground is not much to write home about, but you also get to use the amenities of the hotel, and they are nice! We stayed 4 days, 3 nights and would do it again in a second. Enjoy!
One thing that I would stay away from are the bus tours, as they are not worth it. Take the train, upgrade to a comfortable coach, and experience the beauty that awaits you.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #6

Great suggestions and advice from all of you. Thanks for the quick "come backs."

For WThomas1, going in March is WAY too early for me. I'd be afraid I'd need snow chains. I understand there's still snow on the ground in May. Good luck on your trip and please try to find this thread and let us know how it went.

For Gene & Betty - (I read some of your website) Congratulations on retirement and moving back to the South (Tenn.) Thanks for the encouragement regarding the Train ride, etc. It looked great on their website but then a LOT of stuff looks good on a website! It's always good to hear from someone who has actually "been there, done that." BTW, did you have to make reservations for the CG or did you just drive up?

OpaRon
2005 DSDP (4009)
2002 4Runner Toad
FMCA, NKK, PPA, WHR, ROD, ACN, GOOD SAM

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 01-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are also a little worried about the weather in March. We are going to the FMCA convention in Pomona in February and decide to see Arizona and New Mexico at the same time. I will let you know about the weather and the GC train.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #8

Brrrr Cold..
Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #9

OpaRon,
In Sept. of 2006 we stayed at the Grand Canyon railroad rv park. The park was very clean and well taken care of but basically it is an asphalt parking lot. They have planted a few small tree's in the islands between campsites where your hookup's are also located. Having said that we think it was about the best and most conveinent campground. Its a short walk to the train station if you take the train to the canyon and you do get to use the hotel's facilities if you like as part of the deal.
If you do take the train to the canyon then be prepaired to rush a little between the time you arrive by train and when it departs back to Williams. We decided to explore on our own once we got to the canyon and took the public bus sytem in the park. They pretty much take you to all the points of interest on the South Rim but what we found was that we were running out of time and rushing between bus stops. We actually drove back up to the South Rim two more times during our stay. Once because I hiked to the bottom of the canyon and back up in one day and then another explore a little more and to eat dinner at the El Tovar lodge. The drive from Williams to the Grand Canyon was around 60 miles one way if I remember correctly.
There is a campground in the Park that has hookups that gives you the conveinence of being there and I guess it would be possible to drive to the North Rim but I beleive it would be a long drive. I'm not sure if there are campgrounds on the North side.
If you do go to the canyon make sure to take a trail into the canyon if your able even if its just a short distance below the rim. You get a whole different perspective of it looking up.
Letsgoagain
Old 01-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

Thanks for the detailed description of the park and canyon, etc. From what I could see on the web site the CG looked like a good deal (and I kind of expected the ashpalt look, since it's associated with a hotel.) The other reason we wanted to use it was the pet facility. A little pricey but a really nice place for Lucy, our Silky Terrier, to play while we're gone to the Canyon. We're hoping to do this in mid May, before the kids are out of school and over run the place. Also, thanks for the tip to at least take a walk down to get the perspective.

OpaRon

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #11

OpaRon,
If you go to the photo section and look in the miscellaneous category and then members galleries at FTMom's pictures you will see a picture she posted on Feb. 3rd at 5:32. She was kind enough to post it for me because I haven't quite figured it out yet.
The picture is of the Grand Canyon Rail Road campground. If you double click on the picture it will drill down to that particular picture and give you a larger view.
Thought you might want to see what it looked like.
Letsgoagain
Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #12

Letsgoagain,
Thanks. I go there soon. I did go on their web site and had pretty nice views, etc. I sometimes have trouble finding members galleries, but I'll save your post and try to find this one.

OpaRon
Currently at the SEA FMCA rally Brooksville, FL

2005 Dutch Star (4009)