Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Grand Canyon south rim

Taking I-40 out of Memphis, any issues traveling that way and has anyone stap at trailer village ? I think that's the name of the campground.
Aldo looking at Monument Valley and Moab , any info on these areas would be helpful.
fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback View Post
Taking I-40 out of Memphis, any issues traveling that way and has anyone stap at trailer village ? I think that's the name of the campground.
Aldo looking at Monument Valley and Moab , any info on these areas would be helpful.
Sounds like a good trip , what time of year are you planning this for ?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did that trip except we returned back east via I-40 from Flagstaff. I-40 is about like most interstates....much of it is good and there will usually be some construction along the way. Scenery gets better when you get out West into 'Red Rock' country.

I would certainly suggest you see Monument Valley if you can. The best place to stay when there is Gouldings RV park. From Monument Valley, you can head north up to Moab. All of that is interesting with some spectacular scenery.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback View Post
You don't say what you are driving.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel before hitting Texas on I-40. Gas stations are few and far-between.

We made the trip to the "Big Ditch" via I-40 a couple of years ago in a car and got very nervous about running out of gas. A couple of times we were on fumes.

For some variety, we came back via I-70.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

Good info. We are going the end of May and driving my dodge 2500 pull a travel trailer.
fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

We've stayed at Travel Village in the Grand Canyon. It's not the best campground we've ever stayed in, BUT it is right in the center of everything and a short walk to the shuttle stop. We're headed back there in June. It's a good base camp from which to see the park.

In Moab, we like The Portal.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

We stayed at Trailer Village. It was a little worn but as others have said, in a good location. Elk visit the park daily. You can bike or hike to the rim.
Stayed at Dead Horse Point State Park just outside Moab. No sewer hook-up but FANTASTIC place. Only 21 sites so reserve early.
In Monument Valley we stayed at Gouldings. It was the "only game in town", so to speak . I read some negative reviews on Gouldings but we really liked it. If you go there make sure to hike about 200 yards to a huge rock arch right there at the campground. Have fun. Sounds like a great trip!
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Looking forward to a few days in the south rim @ the end of Feb, hope'ing this weather breaks a little by then.
dpm90iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
We stayed at Trailer Village. It was a little worn but as others have said, in a good location. Elk visit the park daily. You can bike or hike to the rim.
Stayed at Dead Horse Point State Park just outside Moab. No sewer hook-up but FANTASTIC place. Only 21 sites so reserve early.
In Monument Valley we stayed at Gouldings. It was the "only game in town", so to speak . I read some negative reviews on Gouldings but we really liked it. If you go there make sure to hike about 200 yards to a huge rock arch right there at the campground. Have fun. Sounds like a great trip!
In the spring of 2013, the whole park was re-done, new full hookups, cement curbing, and re-paved all the roads........super nice

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
In the spring of 2013, the whole park was re-done, new full hookups, cement curbing, and re-paved all the roads........super nice
I agree. We stayed at trailer village for 5 days just this week. Had FHU. Weather was cold so did not leave water hooked up but the park seemed very nice to us. Staff at check in cabin was very friendly & helpful.

The shuttle bus will pick you up at edge of campground and take u anywhere in the park. Runs about every 15 minutes.

I actually walked to bottom of canyon down the Kaibab trail. Stayed at Phantom Ranch over night then hiked back up the Bright Angel trail the 2nd day. Would recommend that to anyone. Really beautiful down near the river.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Terrific! Thanks for the update and the pic!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
K Street for a RV site......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Terrific! Thanks for the update and the pic!
When we go again I will ask for a site On "K Street" we were on site #76 and the woods was all that was in front of us as this is the last full hook up sites in the back of the park(some electric sites out in front of this row) and the Elk and Muledeer were all over everyday.
This was taken right out front of our Coach across the road as you can see......
The red arrow was the site we were in, you can see the row in front of us and the old road, but no one was in those primative sites.....( click on photo to enlarge it)(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Village K Street.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	55694  
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #13

If doing Moab and Monument Valley, the North Rim is on the way there, and not to be missed!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If doing Moab and Monument Valley, the North Rim is on the way there, and not to be missed!
I agree on North Rim worth the trip. But not in February. Lol
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote