Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What about North Rim road access and a place to stay with a 40' MH and toad?
There are some sites for a 40' MH and you can easily drive through the campground.

Unless they have made renovations we thought the dump station wasn't really suited for a big RV - very narrow. We didn't use it but I imagine some have.

DeMotte national forest campground is very nice and has large sites. Take the first forest road south of DeMotte and it will lead you to awesome boondocking spots and you don't have to drive far. The gravel road is very good and flat.

Being there in Fall when the aspen turn golden amidst the green of the evergreens is awesome! So quiet and peaceful.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #16

We're planning our OR-WV trip this year and would like to visit the North Rim. The current plan is to leave in mid May and return to OR in late June or early July. Which time would be best to visit, and what maps (?) should I get to find the most scenic places to visit? We have a 26' MH and 4wd Tracker toad. I'm not as concerned about a place to camp as I am about finding the best places to visit.

Maybe we'll see Joe and Annette there. When are you planning your visit?

We've been to the South Rim several times, the first in April of '73 on our first trip to the West to see if we would like to live "out there". When we arrived it was dark so we slept a bit and I woke up at daybreak. I couldn't wait to see it, so I slipped on some clothes and walked over to the rim. It had snowed a bit during the night and the sun was just coming up. It was beautiful and awesome, so much so that I felt like I should get back away from it in case "something" happened. A good memory.

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #17

North
jb4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 AM   #18

I vote North, for reasons already listed. You can view river if willing to do a little hiking.

Actually, my favorite part of Canyon is below the rim, but it's not for everybody. South Kiabab trail has some great views, Best view is a spot 6 miles down Bright Angel Trail & about 1 1/2 miles from Indian Gardens campground. (Backpackers only). When hiking below the rim, the deeper you get the less of the rims you see. When out on this point, you are about half way down & can see both rims. It is spectacular. It is supposed to be even better at sunset. I hope to check this out in March. Backpacking to bottom with kids & grandkids in March. It will be my 4th trip down. (3rd since turning 60) Not sure how large this area is, but in the thirties somebody landed a plane there to prove it could be done.

Word of caution. These trails are not to be taken lightly. You should be an experienced hiker before venturing very far from main tourist areas. If going below rim, every step you go down you must come up. Water is often not available. Temperatures change, sometimes dramatically as you go down. It is HOT at river, even when there is still snow & ice on rims. Camping below rim is by permit only & they are hard to get. There is a sign part way down on the Bright Angel trail that says it pretty well. "Going to river is optional. Going to rim is mandatory."
OldKansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:07 AM   #19

Been to both. Prefer North because of less crowded.
rlarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
IC2

We have been to the South Rim twice in the past three years plus drove by the access to the North both times but just didn't have the time in or fairly loose trip schedule the last time. It is on out 'bucket list' for this year unless we get sidetracked again. We were at the South Rim both years in September so the crowds were not bad. We were also able to stay in the RV campground in '15 but in '16, stayed in the ho-hum CG at the South entrance.

Here are a few photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0659.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	189095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0654.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	189096  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0701.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	189097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0700.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	189098  

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Grand Canyon: South Rim vs. North Rim - Which? Why?

Question Pretty much sums it up - Over the years we have been to Both many times, and because of the times we/I have had on those visits I will recommend both..........But they are so Different.

One with the Bigger Views - Closer/Easier to get to - Able to see the Colorado River and the Vastness of the Canyon - Many walkways, paths - Big CampGround - Open all year - Restaurants and Food Courts and Yes usually very Crowded.

The Other with the Cooler Temperatures, Trees, Natural Shade - A little Out of the Way - Very different Perspective, still Dramatic but subtle - Many Hiking and exploring opportunities - Smaller CampGround/more Boondocking - Closes early after first big snow, Seasonal, they do not plow - A Restaurant - More like a vacation, as it is not that crowded in Numbers but extremely hard to get a reservation.

For me the North is the Favorite - as more than the View the Family Experiences are what I remember, the Brunch looking out over the Canyon as the snow stopped and the clouds rose, exposing the Beauty to my kids on their first visit. Sitting on the Deck with My Parents, and just realizing how Vast it Was/Is.

On the South side we generally will enter from the east on RT 64 - stopping along the way at most of the pull outs, before the crowds, before the craziness. Generally we will just drive straight through, as Crowds and I just don't enjoy each other, as we once did.

So, on this Cold Winter day ----------- A little discussion -- maybe a Picture of two - Share with the rest of us your thoughts, always interested in what Others think on the Big Debate - North Rim or South Rim, Which and Why?

OK - original Poster here - with the count I have North Rim Wins in a Landslide!

12 North

4 have not been to both No Decision

1 South

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ernogy...n/photostream/

Let's see if more can add to this survey,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been to both several times, and vote North. The only advantage to South is you have 1000 ft LESS to hike back up from the bottom :-)

I also like the thinner crowds on the North side, but more importantly, the forest area around the North side of the park is much nicer than the desert area around the South.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What about North Rim road access and a place to stay with a 40' MH and toad?
There are some, I have posted some in "Days End" but you have to be a member to get them.