Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow! This is really good stuff! It will make planning for this trip much easier and less stressful. I'm really getting excited now!

Thanks everybody for the great tips!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #16

watch the weather

We were there in late May and it was very cold and snowy.
The weather is very unpredictable so just plan ahead. Also the train is not a good idea because you get robbed halfway there.

a

Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
We have never been to the Grand Canyon ... or anywhere else out west. So, we have a week scheduled in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park and then a week at Trailer Village this June.

Our out west trip will last approximately 4 months ....
Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #18

. . .If you have time you might also want to go to Canyon de Chelly which is a little to the East of the GC. . . SPECTACULAR in our opine. . . Town does have the basics if you go. . .FWIW. . .
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #19

Coming south from Salt Lake City, consider visiting the Kolob Canyon section of Zion Nat'l Park. It is a short drive directly off I-15. Absolutely gorgeous red rock canyon and a small visitor center. You could stay at the Beaver KOA overnight after leaving Salt Lake and then take in Kolob on your way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The north rim is about 1000' higher than the much more popular south rim. From there you could drive for a day to camp at Gouldings outside Monument Valley. Take the Indian guided tour including a little of the backcountry. Then double-back to the entrance to the south rim from the east.
Have fun! Drive safely.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
Coming south from Salt Lake City, consider visiting the Kolob Canyon section of Zion Nat'l Park. It is a short drive directly off I-15. Absolutely gorgeous red rock canyon and a small visitor center. You could stay at the Beaver KOA overnight after leaving Salt Lake and then take in Kolob on your way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The north rim is about 1000' higher than the much more popular south rim. From there you could drive for a day to camp at Gouldings outside Monument Valley. Take the Indian guided tour including a little of the backcountry. Then double-back to the entrance to the south rim from the east.
Have fun! Drive safely.
X2 on Kolob Canyon and the Beaver KOA.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Interesting comments pro and con regarding staying in Williams. I had also looked at that option but worried about the length of the train ride. Although I do like riding trains... Maybe I need a couple nights in Williams, a couple nights in Trailer Village, and a couple nights at North Rim...

Which leads to another question: Assuming that we're not going to be hiking or riding a mule to the bottom of the canyon (and I don't think we are), how long can one really spend at Grand Canyon? Is it just a matter of looking over the edge and saying "ok, we've seen that" and heading on?
We spent four nights at Trailer Village and could have spent one more day but four was enough if you are squeezed for time. There is a lot to see and do plus there is plenty of hiking on top to do. We also spent a four nights in Green River UT to visit The Arches national park, Canyon Land national park and Goblin Valley State park +Dead Horse Point State park.

One of the features of staying at Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon is the wildlife viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10_01_15_05.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	117051  
Old 01-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We have never been to the Grand Canyon ... or anywhere else out west. So, we have a week scheduled in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park and then a week at Trailer Village this June.

Our out west trip will last approximately 4 months ....
Just my opinion but 2 weeks in the area might be too long for you unless you're planning a lot of hiking at the canyon. You could easily break it down to 5 nights each. There are plenty of other places to explore if this is your first time in the West.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just my opinion but 2 weeks in the area might be too long for you unless you're planning a lot of hiking at the canyon. You could easily break it down to 5 nights each. There are plenty of other places to explore if this is your first time in the West.

Thanks for the advice - but we have 4 plus months to explore. We really like to just relax in/around our MH as well. We are planning not to hurry from one site to another. The places we miss - we can visit in 2017.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Taking the information that you have all provided I have been looking at the various campgrounds. Trailer Village is rising to the top of the list although I would really like to spend a few days at something more "primitive" like Mather or Desert View. However, when I visit the sites for those 2 campgrounds they both list 30' as the maximum trailer or RV size. My bumper tow trailer is 34'. For those of you who have been to these 2 campgrounds, are they strict about the length? No chance that a 34' TT would make it in?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with all about staying at or near the Canyon. The Canyon is more than just the spectacular views. It's a gripping geological and archeological marvel. The Desert View Tower, Hermits Rest, Kolb Studio, El Tovar Hotel, just to name a few. The North Rim opens in May depending on weather. If you are looking for less crowds, it sees less than 10% of the visitors the South Rim sees every year. The Grand Canyon Association has sponsored activities and classes.

As a backup plan, I have not stayed there yet, but there is a nice looking NF campground a few miles outside the park near Tusayan. It gets very good reviews and looks to be heavily forested. It's Called Ten X Campground I'm going to check it out next time I visit.

Desrt View Watchtower from the bottom looking up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	117158  
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #26

I'd highly recommend the following:
Canyon De Chelley
Antelope Canyon near Page (even though it will cost some $)
Watchman CG at Zion
Angel's Landing hike at Zion
Hike into the canyon at Bryce
Hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls
Stay at Calf Creek CG if possible
Hwy 12 to Capital Reef NP
Stay at Fruita CG at Capital Reef

Mid May perfect timing except that North Rim might not be open and Bryce will be cool.
Our favorite part of the U.S.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #27

Grand Canyon Trip

Trailer villege for sure. Close to everything on south rim. Shuttle bus to rim also.

As to walking to the bottom. There is a provision to getting a permit that others have turned back in. Got to Bright Angle Lodge for info. Might take a couple days but permits are possible without the year in advance option.

To walk to the bottom is not for everyone but possible without any real training. I did in at age 65 and the only preparation I did was to break in a pair of hiking boots. I have never hiked much in my life. Took me 7.5 hours to get to Phantom Campground at the bottom going down the Kaibab trail and stayed all night at the bottom and then 9.5 hours back up the Bright Angel Trail the neat day. The views at the bottom and on the trails are spectacular !!

As stated earlier. If you do nothing else walk a short way down the Bright Angel Trail. The top 1/2 mile is really beautiful and will give you an idea of what the canyon is like.

You can walk as far down as you wish without a permit. Permits are only required if you plan to stay over night in the canyon.

Russell
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Trailer villege for sure. Close to everything on south rim. Shuttle bus to rim also.

As to walking to the bottom. There is a provision to getting a permit that others have turned back in. Got to Bright Angle Lodge for info. Might take a couple days but permits are possible without the year in advance option.

To walk to the bottom is not for everyone but possible without any real training. I did in at age 65 and the only preparation I did was to break in a pair of hiking boots. I have never hiked much in my life. Took me 7.5 hours to get to Phantom Campground at the bottom going down the Kaibab trail and stayed all night at the bottom and then 9.5 hours back up the Bright Angel Trail the neat day. The views at the bottom and on the trails are spectacular !!

As stated earlier. If you do nothing else walk a short way down the Bright Angel Trail. The top 1/2 mile is really beautiful and will give you an idea of what the canyon is like.

You can walk as far down as you wish without a permit. Permits are only required if you plan to stay over night in the canyon.

Russell
Two 's Up. It's a whole other world below the rim.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote