Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #15

Kaibab or Bauer's Canyon?

I have been digging through reviews and I am debating on deleting Kaibab and staying at Bauer's longer to visit the North Rim as well as Bryce and Zion from it.

Opinions needed quickly - I plan on making my reservations starting tomorrow.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The section I will be staying in during the Balloon Fiesta has 30amp power and water.
Can you send me the link about RV hookups at the Fairgrounds?

Thanks,
Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #17

Quote:
I have been digging through reviews and I am debating on deleting Kaibab and staying at Bauer's longer to visit the North Rim as well as Bryce and Zion from it.

We have never stayed in Kaibab but have stayed at Bauer's twice and would highly recommend it. It is a family owned, small, very quiet park and central to Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, and a day trip from the North Rim.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Can you send me the link about RV hookups at the Fairgrounds?

Thanks,
Gary
Here you go.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - RV Information
Old 02-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
We have never stayed in Kaibab but have stayed at Bauer's twice and would highly recommend it. It is a family owned, small, very quiet park and central to Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, and a day trip from the North Rim.

Don

Thanks for the quick reply. Will 6 nights be enough to see the North Rim, Zion and Bryce? We are not into the horse riding or heavy hiking. Most of our sightseeing will be via car with some light hiking (DW is scared of heights). We also do not want to be going full blast all the time. A site with great views would be a plus.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post

Don
Ray,
We stayed at Kaibab Camper Village last year following our stay on the south rim. I was so pleased with Trailer Village on the south rim, but rather disappointed with Kaibab. It was hard to find even a nearly-level site. It was appx 40 miles to the north rim. If Bauer's gets a good recommendation, I would try it before going back to Kaibab. The rest of your plan sounds great.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #21

In order to keep my reservation date at the Balloon Fiesta plus leave on a particular day to hit Houston on a Sunday I need to delete a week from my schedule. I will remove the 4 nights for Kaibab, so this means I would need to remove 3 more nights. I can remove one night each at two other stops on the route before getting to the Grand Canyon area. So I need to remove one more night. I have 5 nights for Trailer Village, 6 nights at Bauer's Canyon and 6 nights at Moab.

Which one would be the best to remove 1 night?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #22

I would say two or three nights at trailer Village let you see the south Rim. If you do not plan on hiking to the bottom.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #23

I would also cut back on the Trailer Village stay. If you're staying at Bauer to visit three national parks you'll need extra time for driving the long distances.

Personally, I would move to Ruby's for Bryce Nat'l Park. You could drive some of Hwy 12 during the stay and tour Kodachrome State Park area, replenish food in Panguitch, etc.

If you're staying at the South Rim you could also eliminate touring the North Rim if you don't plan on actually staying at the North Rim. It's a long drive and you will have more viewpoints at the South Rim. We love the North Rim for the quietness but for a first-time visit, the South Rim is better for really seeing the canyon.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #24

X3 on Las Cruces instead of El Paso.
We recently stayed at the Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces. Very convenient to HWY 10, long pull throughs and some good food in the area.

Steve
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
X3 on Las Cruces instead of El Paso.
We recently stayed at the Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces. Very convenient to HWY 10, long pull throughs and some good food in the area.

Steve
I did change El Paso to Las Cruces and I have plans on reserving a site at the Hacienda.

I made my reservations at Trailer Village at the South Rim yesterday for the first of many reservations to be made.

I also decided to stay at Moab only 5 nights instead of 6 nights. I am going back and forth between Canyonland or the Portal RV Park/Resort.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #26

"Personally, I would move to Ruby's for Bryce Nat'l Park. You could drive some of Hwy 12 during the stay and tour Kodachrome State Park area, replenish food in Panguitch, etc".

If you have not heard about rte 12, then you are missing out on a wonderful, awesome adventure. It's 66 miles from Torey, south, to Escalante. It will take probably 4 hours. So many stops. So many awesome sights. What a thrill.... Don't miss it .. [ I think it is called the "hogback']
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Don't miss any of the three. We went at the same time, Sept./Oct. The weather was perfect.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Will 6 nights be enough to see the North Rim, Zion and Bryce? We are not into the horse riding or heavy hiking. Most of our sightseeing will be via car with some light hiking (DW is scared of heights). We also do not want to be going full blast all the time. A site with great views would be a plus.
Six nights is more than enough. We stayed three and had plenty of time to do all three and we did not hurry at all. If you do a lot of hiking then each will require more time.

I disagree that Bauer's is not close enough to what you want to see. It is 45 minutes from Bryce, 25 minutes from Zion, and 1 1/2 hours from North Rim.

Bryce took us about a half a day and you could spend a few hours more than that.

Zion took the whole day because we rode the shuttle buses up into the canyon and walked a lot. Remember, if you have a big rig you can't take it through the tunnel at Zion on Highway 9.

North Rim took the most time because of the drive but side roads were closed due to fallen timber and weather (May) so we spent our time around the lodge. We stayed at Trailer Village on the South Rim on the same trip and prefer the South Rim anyway.

You can't go wrong staying in Glendale, UT.

I do agree with driving Highway 12 through Escalante up to Torrey along the "Hogsback" if you have time. It is spectacular scenery and you will not forget the drive any time soon but it takes a while. This could be a very long day but you could cut over to Highway 89 and shorten it a little. We did this from the other direction from Moab, UT to Glendale and it is about 320 miles and took all day but of course you would not be going that far.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote