Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM   #1

Grand Isle, La.

Hello Everyone,
I am planning a trip from Chicago to Grand isle, la and New Orleans this June. Will be traveling with 3 kids ( 5 months to 13 yrs) Dw and mom. Has anyone been there what to expect. This will our first long trip. What places can I visit while we are there. Thanks

Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakal View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am planning a trip from Chicago to Grand isle, la and New Orleans this June. Will be traveling with 3 kids ( 5 months to 13 yrs) Dw and mom. Has anyone been there what to expect. This will our first long trip. What places can I visit while we are there. Thanks

when you get to New Orleans, the World War II Museum is a MUST see - kids will really like it as well. Have fun and hopefully take it slow and easy so you have a real vacation and not rush around. I haven't been to Grand Isle - but I don't think you should expect real good beaches. Almost everyone from Louisiana who wants to go to the beach, go to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Alabama. But, like I said, I've never been there so don't take my word for it.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

Is there a reason for making Grand Isle your final destination? Just curious as I am from Louisiana and I would never think of going there in our motorhome.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

I have lived in new Orleans and thibodeaux, north Louisiana now. Went to grand isle back 1978. It was mostly a fishing area. Not much to see or do other than fish. Katrina tore it up back in 2005 but they're strong down there and rebuild pretty quick.
New Orleans can be great or terrible. Depends on what you're looking for. Drinking and partying are big time there. Lots of good food if you know where to go and what to order.
They had a really nice zoo and aquarium before Katrina. Not sure about them now. Lots of museums in the area. Historical tours. Shopping. Lake Pontchartrain.
I don't care to go there but lits of folks do. Be careful where you go, their murder rate is high and tourist are good targets.
However, the koa west, off Williams blvd near the miss river in river ridge, LA was a nice little surprise. Nothing special.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

No thought would be good to go there with kids. I was not sure that's why I asked that question on the forum. Any suggestions.
Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

We haven't been to Grand Isle, but for visiting N.O. There is Fountainbleau State park Just across the Pontchatrain . Pretty, very reasonable, & Far enough from the Big Easy to rest easy. & 15 min. drive across the bridge to world class eating. Just remember if you go travel on I-10 ,be sure everything is very well secured. You could mistake it for the Al-Can Hwy.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
We haven't been to Grand Isle, but for visiting N.O. There is Fountainbleau State park Just across the Pontchatrain . Pretty, very reasonable, & Far enough from the Big Easy to rest easy. & 15 min. drive across the bridge to world class eating. Just remember if you go travel on I-10 ,be sure everything is very well secured. You could mistake it for the Al-Can Hwy.
Yes. I-10, I-20 and I-49 in Louisiana are all bouncy.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

We spent all of this last January there. I loved it. We stayed at Ricky's motel and rv park. Right across the street was the beach. Not much to do besides fishing and bird watching. We went there in a 30' fifth wheel. No problems.
Rollingzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Grand Isle State Park is nice from what my parents said about their last visit, but if you are thinking you are going to see nice white sand beaches, I think you will be disappointed as you will not find it there.

Be wary of New Orleans travel, there are some places that are just not safe and that children really don't need to be at.

There are also parts of the city with Architecture and Culture that is breath taking.

With that being said, for Grand Isle or New Orleans you will find some of the most friendly people on earth and cajun food that will make you feel like you have died and gone to heaven.

Mosquitoes can be pretty trying as you are in a marsh area.

Do a bunch of research and ask questions ( like you are).

Louisiana has many wonderful state parks priced extremely reasonable.

I am originally from Louisiana and lived there for most of my life ( now reside in Texas)