Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #1

Grand Junction - Glenwood Springs, CO: Suggestions?

In about 1 month we will be coming back from Bonneville Speedweek at the Salt Flats, taking a long way home stopping in Denver area to visit my sister. So I am going to be cruising along I-70 and looking for any suggestions for a RV park along I-70, say anywhere between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs CO. Could even consider some areas in eastern UT close to Grand Junction. Then just an easy drive up across I-70 and drop down into Denver.

We will be boondocking at Bonneville, so looking for a 1 night stop with hook-ups so we will not be roughing it Will have my 34 ft MH and 16 ft trailer with a car on it, but pull-through is not a hard req't. But do need a place with reasonable access for a fairly long set-up. We will be mid-week, so hopefully not much problem to find a nice place for one night.

I searched the forum here, but did not see any posts with suggestions for western CO areas along I-70. I was surprised and figured there would be some? i appreciate any help and suggestions

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

We enjoy the glenwood canyon rv resort. It is off the "no name" exit on i70 outside of glenwood springs. We usually try to get a spot right on the river there

wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
James Robb State Park in Fruita, just a few miles west of Grand Junction, right off I-70 - great park, easy in/out. By the Colorado River, great restaurants nearby.

JAMES M. ROBB-COLORADO RIVER STATE PARK - FRUITA SECTION, CO - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [CO]
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Rifle Gap State Park is a beauty. Hookups and big sites.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #5

Try this place:

Junction West RV Park

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #6

I would also tryin glenwood canyon rv resort in glenwood springs.

I am hoping the Bonneville events are not canceled this year again due to rain a soft salt flats.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on Glenwood Canyon RV resort... Also go swimming in the huge hot springs pool. Noname exit is east of Glenwood Springs a few miles, exit #119.

Glenwood Springs Hotel and Resort - Glenwood Canyon Resort

Have fun
Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

If your going to glenwood Rv , take an extension lead . The power on back in sites is at the passenger side rear corner
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #9

Was just there last week with our 38 foot fiver, going from CA to Denver and back. On the way we stayed in Green River Utah...usually stay at the KOA but they didn't have anymore 50amp spots,and it was HOT, needed to run both ACs! Stayed at the other park down the street, just as nice..I think it was Shady Acres? On the way back, stayed at the RV park across the street from the James Robb State Park in Fruita CO ....Monument RV. Very nice also, and both parks had plenty of room for our fifth wheel and truck with room to spare.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #10

I(we) just got back from Utah-last stay was at Green River KOA-Hot there-103-The power at the park read 101 to a low of 93 volts.No air working there.They claimed that an electrician had checked out the power and all was OK-Sorry my air would not work and systems monitor equipment said otherwise.I was with a group and all were getting the same readings.I would NOT recommend staying at this park.
As a added note I-70 is in the worst condition I have ever seen from the bottom of Vail pass to Idaho Springs-hole and grooved roadway.Glad to see my tax money at work-Be careful!!That was in the EAST bound side-west side is ok.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Decided and booked the James Robb State Park along the CO River. I appreciate all the good advice

Gazingm42, the salt is good so far. Of course always subject to weather, been good success last several years. The later season events are the ones with higher cancellation chance due to weather. I don't drive MH ont he salt, that is what the trailer with car on it is for. I take one of my old hot rods to drive around.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Decided and booked the James Robb State Park along the CO River. I appreciate all the good advice
Just an FYI - there are 2 (two) James Robb campgrounds. The Fruita CG is great, as is the other one, which is east of GJ. The eastern CG is slightly more primitive, but still very nice. Not many amenities are near the eastern location. Check out the wineries while you're in the area...

Of the two, we prefer the Fruita location. Enjoy your stay!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Just an FYI - there are 2 (two) James Robb campgrounds. The Fruita CG is great, as is the other one, which is east of GJ. The eastern CG is slightly more primitive, but still very nice. Not many amenities are near the eastern location. Check out the wineries while you're in the area...

Of the two, we prefer the Fruita location. Enjoy your stay!
Yes, booked the Fruita location. Just quick overnighting so will not have time to do much exploring around the area. Will have to consider that for future trip.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #14

Even though you will be staying one night, if you arrive in the afternoon, definitely take a quick drive through Colorado Nat'l Monument which is right next to your campground. It's a gorgeous park and right along the interstate. You could do it in an hour or two.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote