Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
WOW great images. Thanks .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Careful, there are two Colter Bay camping options.

The campground itself, which is first come first serve with no hookups, and the RV park which is full hookups and by reservations.

Most online photos show the campground. It was confusing to us when researching.

We’re booked at the RV park for 5 days this June.
TDave

We will be rolling in on the 8th July for a 14 day stay. We hit Devils tower for 2 days before that and Mt Rushmore for 5 days before that. The trip after that leads to who knows where at this time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
These photos are not the place the OP is asking about. These photos are for the campground next door - no reservations; no utilities.

The OP was asking about the RV park with hookups.

Personally, we love Gros Ventre campground the best - nice views; no reservations but 300 sites and always got a site; no hookups.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner9 View Post
TDave

We will be rolling in on the 8th July for a 14 day stay. We hit Devils tower for 2 days before that and Mt Rushmore for 5 days before that. The trip after that leads to who knows where at this time.
Very nice. Our stop at GT is part of an 8 week trip with our kid. Major stops are Badlands, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, GT, Yellowstone, Glacier, Voyageurs National Park, and then some beach spots in upper Michigan as we make our way home.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Very nice. Our stop at GT is part of an 8 week trip with our kid. Major stops are Badlands, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, GT, Yellowstone, Glacier, Voyageurs National Park, and then some beach spots in upper Michigan as we make our way home.
WOW very simular to ours indeed. I hope you guys enjoy the entire trip and please be safe in all you do.

Jim T
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #20

Go on YouTube and look up Long Long Honeymoon. They have videos that cover the Colter Bay, Tetons, etc.

https://youtu.be/bJhKm6N7_LM
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
Go on YouTube and look up Long Long Honeymoon. They have videos that cover the Colter Bay, Tetons, etc.

https://youtu.be/bJhKm6N7_LM
Scott 3

Thank you.

I want to thank everyone who gave input to my question. It was just great and exactly what I was looking for. So many good links and information.
Thank You All.

Jim T.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Maybe I can get one more question answered on here. Looking at images of Colter Bay and other western parks, why is it I never or almost never see the awnings out on campers? Colter bay is in the trees so I would think the winds would not be so drastic as to cause this. Same with some other places. I get the winds can kick up and I understand about open grounds haveing some good gust. Is it always windy like at the beach or what? Sorry if this seems dumb , but again it will be our first time west of the Mississppi camping and it is all new for us.
Thanks
Jim
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #23

I close my awning any time I leave my TT. It doesnt take much wind to destroy an awning. You run the risk of falling branches, etc. if you are under trees.

You should consider shutting off the water outside if you will be gone for a while.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
I close my awning any time I leave my TT. It doesnt take much wind to destroy an awning. You run the risk of falling branches, etc. if you are under trees.

You should consider shutting off the water outside if you will be gone for a while.
You mean everyone doesn't just do this. - =
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #25

If you're looking at campgrounds near the big attractions then the folks are out all day touring. They're not using their patios so they don't put out their awning.

We rarely put our our big awning. We had window awnings and those kept the sun from entering the RV. It was never a problem for us just sitting without an awning. We'd be out most of the day and by the time we'd return it we had much cooler temperatures (out West) so we welcomed the sun. Same for in the mornings,the sun was welcomed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're looking at campgrounds near the big attractions then the folks are out all day touring. They're not using their patios so they don't put out their awning.

We rarely put our our big awning. We had window awnings and those kept the sun from entering the RV. It was never a problem for us just sitting without an awning. We'd be out most of the day and by the time we'd return it we had much cooler temperatures (out West) so we welcomed the sun. Same for in the mornings,the sun was welcomed.
This is what I had thought might be why I never see them open. Good to know there are no constant winds. Also good to know about the sun morning and evenings.

We always roll ours in when we leave for any time also. It just seemed strange to never see any in the open position. I just had to ask in case I was missing something .

Sorry for my simple questions , but better to understand and be prepared than not.

Thank you all again.
Jim T
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
On our recent trip to yellowstone and back, the Tetons were our favorite stop !!!
drive to the east side of Jenny lake where you can get the iconic reflective photos of the mountains in the lake - beautiful and ours was a windy day, so not a good reflection in the pics below!

Another source for your pre-planning is Google earth where you can zoom in for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	272305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	272306  

Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
On our recent trip to yellowstone and back, the Tetons were our favorite stop !!!
drive to the east side of Jenny lake where you can get the iconic reflective photos of the mountains in the lake - beautiful and ours was a windy day, so not a good reflection in the pics below!

Another source for your pre-planning is Google earth where you can zoom in for details.
Just a FYI from and old guy whose head does not turn that easily. If you rotate and save the Image it will post correctly.

Examples;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tetons.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	272307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetons across the lake 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	272308