Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You’ve made an excellent choice to stay at GTNP, IMO. After over 8 years of full time motorhoming and visiting many, many national parks, GTNP is my all-time favorite! So many people skim through on the main road on their way between Yellowstone, which is too touristy for me, and Jackson Hole. They miss the true beauty of GTNP that way, but it also means you will encounter fewer people. Enjoy!
Travelernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 04:44 AM   #44

Colter Bay RV Village is a tight pine tree forest with full hook ups. Nothing else but a place to sleep. The location is fabulous! Incredible.
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:47 AM   #45

I will be there in late May for 5 nights in my 41' motorhome. I have a pull-thru and I am hoping the site will not be to out of level. I alway pack two packages of the levelers to use when needed as well as four 4x4x12 pads for my jacks.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree about Gros Ventre. In 2018, we arrived a day ahead of when our reservations for Colter Bay RV Park. We found a site at Gros Ventre for one night. It was much more pleasant for that one night. I would have liked to stay there longer. However, I had chosen to stay at Colter Bay with it's electrical hookups because I need a CPAP machine, and obviously, one can't run the generator all night at CG like Gros Ventre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
We stayed at Colter Bay RV Park for 4-5 nights last summer. In a lot of ways we were underwhelmed. The sites were close and super out of level. We had friends who were coming to the area soon after us and we recommended that they stay at Gros Ventre (which they did and loved). We found that to be a more central location for the hikes and activities we wanted to do. Consequently, we spent a lot of time driving away from Colter Bay each day, which depending on where you are going can be a bit of a drive. The swim beach, while rocky and cold, was very cool.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #47

We are staying at Fireside Buffalo Valley Campgrounds from Jun 1-3 visiting the Grand Tetons. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there and any tips for our visit?

Thanks in advance for your input.
KZinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #48

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post
This was our site from two years ago. The last picture was from the walking trail from the campground. You have to do the trail. It's a great place to get away from it all but still be close to everything.

And We had an AT&T phone and a T Mobile phone. Zilch for cell or data until you get way down the mountain.
Thanks for the phone service information. Your pictures too. Looks like you had a nice site . Not too bad at all.
Thanks to all who have replied .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #49

Bring a portable saw!

Trees always win! I have a portable “fold-up” saw I always bring in case tree limbs “threaten”.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Trees always win! I have a portable “fold-up” saw I always bring in case tree limbs “threaten”.
Most public parks don't allow you to trim the trees unless you ask. Best to ask the host.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
You actually cut tree limbs in a NP? Better not get caught.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #52

Cutting tree limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
You actually cut tree limbs in a NP? Better not get caught.
Well, trimming a couple of branches where the RV is supposed to park was not an issue in the Prairie Creek Campground (the Redwoods) in CA (both a State and NP). Not an issue in Jedediah Campground (also Redwoods). The campground maintenance crew is supposed to keep it “trimmed up”; no issues with me doing it for them. I know the other NPs have similar maintenance requirements for the campsites. We are, after all, talking about “pinky finger” sized branches.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZinferno View Post
We are staying at Fireside Buffalo Valley Campgrounds from Jun 1-3 visiting the Grand Tetons. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there and any tips for our visit?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Horrible when we stayed last August !!!! Probably the worst park we've ever been in - hands down.

It is surrounded by a Mosquito infested 'pond"? We were attacked every time we ran from the rv to the jeep... And it's a LONG drive to everything as there is nothing around there...

And there are more tents than rv's if I had to guess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	273595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	273596  

Old 01-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Horrible when we stayed last August !!!! Probably the worst park we've ever been in - hands down.

It is surrounded by a Mosquito infested 'pond"? We were attacked every time we ran from the rv to the jeep... And it's a LONG drive to everything as there is nothing around there...

And there are more tents than rv's if I had to guess
Thanks for the input. We will be coming from Colorado Springs, visiting the Tetons before heading to Yellowstone. Do you have any campground recommendations besides Fireside? Colter Bay was booked.

Thanks once again.
KZinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #55

Checkout the Colter Bay Campground. They have electric and water at several sites and are about 1/3 the price. RV park is around $90/day incl tax. Old park, has water, sewer &e electric issues. Gros Vente Campground at south end of park is much nicer.
Ka0dqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #56

I would stay at Gros Ventre Campground. Much nicer than Fireside. South end of park is for hiking etc. Colter Bay is for water sports.
Ka0dqz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park