Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Camping

I am thoroughly confused by the recreation.gov website trying to book a campsite in GSM National Lark for soring break with the kids. We want to stay at Elkmont campground. There seem to be Walk In Nly sites that it won't allow you to reserve. There are other " reservable" sites, but they are all booked. I took the calendar out to August, as far as it would show reservations, and it is booked solid. Is there a trick to gettng a site in Elkmont, or do they book as soon as they are listed to the public? I definitely don't want to drag a camper theough the NP and not even have a guaranteed reservation before we get there.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
I am thoroughly confused by the recreation.gov website trying to book a campsite in GSM National Lark for soring break with the kids. We want to stay at Elkmont campground. There seem to be Walk In Nly sites that it won't allow you to reserve. There are other " reservable" sites, but they are all booked. I took the calendar out to August, as far as it would show reservations, and it is booked solid. Is there a trick to gettng a site in Elkmont, or do they book as soon as they are listed to the public? I definitely don't want to drag a camper theough the NP and not even have a guaranteed reservation before we get there.
You should have booked last year or as soon as the new calendar was released. It is the same at most national parks. I never stay in the park. The last 2 times We stayed at.
Smoky Bear Campground and RV Park, 4857 East Pkwy, Gatlinburg, TN 37738
smokybearcampground.com, (865) 436-8372
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #3

We just bought the trailer last month. When are the calendars released? I definitely want to spend a few days in Elkmont. It Appears very few spots are reservable, and most of the sites are walk in only. Does that mean I can't even reserve a generic space and pick what's available when we get there? That would at least assure us there would be a spot for us when we get there. If I can figure out the calendar release, I'll make sure to reserve a spot as soon as they are available next year.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm not sure how it is at Elkmont, but some state/national parks have an "off season" (for the north & east that's usually anywhere from Nov 1-Apr 15) where no reservations are taken, only walk ins, because the park is rarely full.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I would guess that sites are really that popular. Best bet is to stay in a campground nearby. Have never done this but have seen where people set up at a campground nearby and drive to Elkmont. If they can get a walk in site they reserve it and come over for just the day. Would work well especially if on a creek. Good luck!

For another alternative.....you could check sites at Deep Creek campground which is also part of GSMNP, just outside of Bryson City, NC. It is a beautiful area that is hugely popular for tubing in summer. Also home of Great Smoky Mountain Railroad which is lots of fun.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
You may want to book one night at a private park and go first thing next morning and see what's open once you have a spot you usually can stay up to 14 nights call first to see if you can get an idea of your chances good luck
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I would look up Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l park on the internet and look for their phone number for the campground and give them a call. Remember no hookups in CG.

You may want to go to campgrounds either in Cherokee, NC or Pigeon Forge, TN.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We have used daisylu's method and it usually works well. Camp outside the park and not too far away the day before you want to camp at Elkmont. Go to the Elkmont campground first thing in the morning (9:00am - 10:00am) and look at the walk in sites. Usually someone has left or is about to leave. Since walk in sites aren't reservered, you can stay on the site any length of time up to the maximum allowed number of days. If you really want a reserved site, watch each day for a site(s) that will pop up because of cancelled reservations.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #9

OP,

I suggest you look at the nps.gov website for the park info.

For GSM, reservations open up 6 months in advance.
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...vationfaqs.htm

For some of the more popular parks, you gotta be fast to get a reservation. Yosemite campsites mostly filled up in less than 5 minutes on the first day reservations were available, when I booked it in 2010.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Our experience is the parks outside the national park are nicer anyways.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
We have used daisylu's method and it usually works well. Camp outside the park and not too far away the day before you want to camp at Elkmont. Go to the Elkmont campground first thing in the morning (9:00am - 10:00am) and look at the walk in sites. Usually someone has left or is about to leave. Since walk in sites aren't reservered, you can stay on the site any length of time up to the maximum allowed number of days. If you really want a reserved site, watch each day for a site(s) that will pop up because of cancelled reservations.
As full-timers public parks are always our first choice and we don't make reservations. We've used many national parks throughout the country. We've never had a problem getting a walk-in site. If it's a busy time then stay outside the park nearby as described above and get your site the next morning as folks are leaving. It worked for us even with a 40' motorhome.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, national