Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Born2RV,
Watch the weather like a hawk in West Virginia and around the Virginia/North Carolina border. WV is just plain up down and around. And you pay extra to drive the road. After you leave the I77/I81 split in VA, you have about 23 miles before you begin the decent down Fancy Gap Mountain. It is about a 7% grade down, with turns for about 7 miles. Once you get to NC, there is a rest area where you can stop until the blood pressure goes down. In the winter, Fancy Gap mountain is noted for fog and/or ice, depending on the weather. While you are on the I77/I81 split there are two Flying Js within about 10 miles of each other. Get fuel there and you will be good all the way to the beach. At that time try the CB and ask the truckers for the condition of I77 on Fancy Gap mountain. If you watch the weather and go only when safe or later in the day if the sun is out, you'll be okay.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I saw your post about Maumee Bay, which one day we will check out. We'll be going to MB in Aug this summer. In past trips we would leave NE Ohio after the evening rush hour and travel as far as I could to somewhere in Virgina / NC border area and boondock at a rest area. Driving thru southern Ohio I remember long stretches of no open gas stations late at night. Between Cambridge Ohio on I-77 and Charleston WV. Plan ahead. Also fog problems in the mountains of WV. late at night. Watch when you go thru Charlotte. You do not want to go thru at rush hour period.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Thank you for the advice! I've printed it for reference. My hubby works afternoons, so we plan on leaving Michigan (north of Detroit) around midnight and driving to either northern or southern NC. How far do you think we'll get by mid afternoon? We'll be ready to stop early and rest, then get up the next day to finish the drive. What exact routes would you advise? thank you again!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For us going to MB is about 730 miles (14 hours of travel time) from Cleveland OH. Before you get to Columbia SC. we would get off of I-77 about 50 north at Route 9 and take route 97 to "cut" around Columbia. Just a thought.....
Old 01-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the construction post. I have a trip planned for the beginning of July where I'll be hauling three bikes down. One of the planned bike trips was to Clingmans Dome. At least now I won't be surprised if the road is closed.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here again is the link to construction projects for the Smoky's Clingmans Dome is said to be done by the end of May.