Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Superslif,

For your private CG consider Pigeon Forge Campground | River Plantation RV Park, Pigeon Forge RV Campground, Smoky Mountain RV Park, Sevierville RV Camping

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have stayed several places in the Pigeon forge area over the years. This past June I stayed for a week at Foothills RV Park in Pigeon Forge. I was very happy and will be returning. The cleanest facilities I have seen.

Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx...I made my reservations for both Elkmont and Smokemont a few weeks back. Yesterday I made a reservation for "Camping in the Smokies campground" because it was one of two campgrounds that was on the trolley route. Twin Creek was the other CG. on the trolley route, but it seemed rather $$$. The person who took my reservation was very pleasant to take my information and was a fair price for a full service site. I'll be there for a total of 12-13 days. I'm using this trip as a exploratory trip for a longer trip when I hope to retire in 4-6 years.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have never stayed in the state campgrounds. But I am interested in doing so. I have a pop up so power isn't that big of a deal to me other than for a/c. So I would stay at the no power campgrounds in mild weather. Of course with a pop up my concern is how clean the bath houses are in the state campgrounds. Thinking about going this spring to the boone linville falls area for a few days. Any reccomendations for a private and state campground? Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
^^ Might want to open a thread on "Boone Linville Falls" and see who responds. I'm sure you will get some great feedback. Personally we have never been there.

Another good source to review campgrounds is RV Park Reviews.

We are also a fan of County, State and National Parks.

Best of luck..
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the link, Bug
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I know for the Smokey's, the Govt. has done and still doing construction projects all around the Smokey's the last 2 years using stimulus money. There are still ongoing projects, but I believe the campgrounds inside the park are done. If anyone has anything to add to this coming vacation season about road construction in the Elkmont, Smokemont and Gatlinburg area, please post....
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey there!

Allow me some comments, otherwise known a my 2 cents worth.

Last Fall we were to The Smokys. First stayed at the KOA at Cherokee and enjoyed the area and attractions. Second week we went to Claboughs CG on Wears Valley Rd. just off 441 in Pigeon Forge.

IMHO, I cannot see why anyone willingly would go to the north side of the mountain! We did not drive over the mountain, we took 74, 40 and 411 to 441. That route was fine. Until we got one mile east of Seviersville. The last 7 miles took us one hour in creep-and-go traffic. I have never driven in such congestion in my life! Taking the 405 freeway south thru Los Angeles was easier!

Sure, there is lots for a family to do in the Pigeon Forge area - but that entertainment can be found many other places. If one wants to go see the Smokys for what they are - a beautiful nature area - I say, go to the Cherokee side of the hill. It is much less congested.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Actually that is my thoughts...also. We too like the State Park setting...So my trip goes as this:

~ Arrive for 5 nights inside the North side of the park at Elkmont Campground. There is no electric or showers here. I have a 52 gallon fresh tank which will give me 4-5 nights of showers.

~ Next I'll leave the park and camp at a private park located about 2-3 miles from downtown Gatlinburg on the trolley route for 3 nights. It is located on Route 321 just east of downtown Gatlinburg. Here we will explore the sights and sounds of Gatlinburg and get a chance to charge up my battery, do laundry and restock the frig.

~ From there we will go east on 321 / 40 / 74 / 23 / 411 to Smokemont inside the park on the Southern side of the park. Will be here for 4 nights, again without electric or showers.

So 9 of my 12 nights will be inside the park to enjoy nature, rivers, waterfalls and hiking.

Since this is my first trip to the Smoky's I wanted to explore all areas of both TN. and SC. to zero in on a future trip when I hope to retire in 4-5 years. From the guide books I'm going to assume the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge will be like a Myrtle Beach without the ocean....
Old 02-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #24

Superslif, your right pigeon forge is like myrtle beach and no water I'll be going in April and I always cross the mountain unless it's closed for snow and ice it's a lot faster. Then Myrtle beach in June.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My wife hates the beach (hates the heat and sun) so Myrtle Beach is a big push for me to get my way every 5 years. We last made the trek to MB in Aug. 10' and when we arrived it was a madhouse..wall to wall traffic. 2 mile back-up just to park at Barefoot Landing. And hotter than a egg on a skillet. My AC ran 24 / 7 for 10 days....i loved it...Me and the kid loved the beach and pool.

That is kind of why I'm limiting myself to 3 days near Gatlinburg and rest in the mountains.

Somewhere I heard the Foothills Parkway has construction going on. Is 321 going east still going to be open this summer to get to Route 40?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are looking for quiet and good hiking. Look at Sherando Lake in Virginia.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Looking at the 2 middle weeks in June, what kind of weather can I expect. For 9 of the nights I'll be camped inside the park at Elkmont and Smokemont. I carefully reserved sites that I was in full shade. What are the temperatures for that time of year. Smokemont and Elkmont are at 2100' of elevation. Gatlinburg is about 1300 or 1400'. On the Government website it says at the top of the mountain it is in the lower 60's for June, but it didn't really say what it was lower.

And with the mild winter can I expect mosquitoes or nats in mid June ???

Two years back we camped along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP. in Virginia where on top at Big Meadows Campground we were comfortable in the low 80's at 4,000' but down below at 1000' they were running 100 to 103 degrees.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I'm currently camped at jellystone campground at Cosby. It's on the loop off I40 and about 15 miles from Gatlinburg
It was a fantastic find, surrounded by streams and a trail into the mountains known as Albright grove nature trail - most travelled trail in the smokies apparently.
DW found it looking for campgrounds that are open this early in the season It's been 75-82 with overnight low in the 50's
I can recommend this campsite - great reviews