Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I can only wish it would be in the 70's or 80's by mid June....

Here in Northern Ohio we had the mildest winter on record. That has caused a lot of things to go hay-wire. I have noticed nats the last week and I here mosquito's are coming out. The squirrel population is over taking our neighborhood. The ground never really froze...

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif
I can only wish it would be in the 70's or 80's by mid June....

Here in Northern Ohio we had the mildest winter on record. That has caused a lot of things to go hay-wire. I have noticed nats the last week and I here mosquito's are coming out. The squirrel population is over taking our neighborhood. The ground never really froze...
It will be in the high 70's low 80's. Elkmont is right on the little river. It is primarily covered with trees. You will enjoy it. Bring your fly rod and beadhead phesant tail nymphs. The trout will be active!!! Take the hike up little river trail out of elkmont to cucumber gap. It is a good hike. It was an old train track bed slight grade and as wide as a one lane road. Watch for bears!! Oh yeah no cell service at all in the park. You will not be able to make a call until you get almost to sugar land visitor center.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, I plan on doing some lengthy hikes. One I plan will be dropped off at Clingmens Dome and hike back to Elkmont. I'm thinking the water in the river will be very cool, but me and the kid will mess around in it anyway.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Leaving the end of the week for the Smoky's...Has anyone been there this week? Our first stop is Elkmont Campground in the park. Are there any bugs? Mosquitos, nats, flies?

Also were coming in from the the Knoxville area. Looking on the map I'm trying to avoid downtown Gatlinburg, even thou it will be a Monday afternoon. I'm looking at I-40 east out of Knoxville, 411 south till Pigeon Forge, Then I'll go west on 321 / 73 till I get to Lyon Springs Rd. How is Lyon Springs Rd?

I'll be pulling a 25' tt. On my topo map it only shows a 200' elevation gain, But it says this road is closed Jan. thru March...???? Is that telling me something I don't know...That route seems the easiest to get to Elkmont campground.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Leaving the end of the week for the Smoky's...Has anyone been there this week? Our first stop is Elkmont Campground in the park. Are there any bugs? Mosquitos, nats, flies?

Also were coming in from the the Knoxville area. Looking on the map I'm trying to avoid downtown Gatlinburg, even thou it will be a Monday afternoon. I'm looking at I-40 east out of Knoxville, 411 south till Pigeon Forge, Then I'll go west on 321 / 73 till I get to Lyon Springs Rd. How is Lyon Springs Rd?

I'll be pulling a 25' tt. On my topo map it only shows a 200' elevation gain, But it says this road is closed Jan. thru March...???? Is that telling me something I don't know...That route seems the easiest to get to Elkmont campground.
From I40 take the Pigeon Forge exit and then take the Gatlinburg bypass after driving through PForge (lot of stop and go). A very small climb that is not a big deal at all to get around Gatlingburg. When you make the turn in front of the "Vistor's Center" to head toward Elkmont there is a dump and water station on your left that you may want to take advantage of. (small sign - be aware).

A trolly comes to the campground on a 30/60 minute schedule (not sure) that will take you back to Gatlinburg or even Pigeon Forge for a very small fee.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have a great time in the park. We will be headed through Knoxville on Wednesday night on our way to Bonnaroo Music Festival.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Elkmont there is a dump and water station on your left that you may want to take advantage of. (small sign - be aware).
Are you saying there is no place to fill your fresh water tank inside the Elkmont campground? I knew the dump was near the visitor center, but not the only source of water too.

Quote:
From I40 take the Pigeon Forge exit and then take the Gatlinburg bypass after driving through PForge (lot of stop and go). A very small climb that is not a big deal at all to get around Gatlingburg.
My one Gatlinburg map says the by-pass is not for RV's???? Are you sure it's OK
Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #36

DO NOT GET ON LYON SPRINGS ROAD ! You will end up backing out for about 3 miles...LOL Its not passable with an RV. Take it from a local....get off from I 40 onto Alcoa Hwy (Airport Hwy) and head south into Maryville, pick up 321 going east. Follow that to the "Y",where you turn to go to Cades Cove or Gatlinburg, turn left onto Little River Rd towards Gatlinburg. Its a bit curvy but a beautiful ride, and no Gatlinburg traffic.Everything is well marked, you can't get lost. Elkmont is beautiful, the bugs shouldn't be bad right now.... but remember, you ARE going to be in the wilderness...hope this helps..
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
DO NOT GET ON LYON SPRINGS ROAD !
Got ya.....

Is there any water available in the Elkmont campground to fill my fresh tank? Or do I need to stop at Sugarlands....
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #38

Theres water and a dump station at Elkmont....you're going to love it there, its absolutely beautiful !
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the Gatlinburg bypass road a couple of weeks ago going to Elkmont.

There is water at the Elkmont campground. However, you may need to carry and pour to get it in your tank. I live close enough that I have always filled my tank before leaving home.

I am not aware of a dump station at Elkmont so I use the one in front of the vistors center (7 miles from Elkmont campground). I am interested in knowing where it is at the campground.

I do not know where Lyons Springs road is or where it goes. I have never used it.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just called the Sugarlands visitor center. They said the only water in the campground is in the bathrooms...So they said I have to stop at the Sugarlands Visitor center and across the street is the water filling station....And she confirmed that the Gatlinburg by-pass road is OK for RV's. I had a older map that listed that road as (NO RV's allowed). that was why I was ?ing it. So I'm good now...