Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great Smoky Mtn 12' Planning.....

Having never been to the Smoky Mountains, I have a few questions about our travel plans. I was able to reserve a site at Elkmont campground inside the park near the Sugarlands visitor's center. I plan on staying here for 5 days and then moving to a private park with electric & laundry facilities in or nearby in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon forge to recharge the batteries for a few nights. Then move around to the Southern side of the park to Smokemont campground.

~Any recommendations for private parks in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon forge area? Not looking for a resort type. Something with space between the sites. Or is it worthwhile finding a campground in Sevierville?

~ After the private campground I plan on taking route 321 to route i40/route19/route 441. I am curious if route 321 is okay to drive with a 24' tt? or for that fact route 19?

~ At Elkmont or Smokemont... how many people actually run generators? While camping at Shenandoah NP (big meadows) in the past a few people have had generators, but never in our loop.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #2

Hi Jim,

Here is a real nice CG 11 miles from PF or Gatlinburg (2 ways to go). We stayed there for a week this summer and loved it. Great folks running the place, clean and lot's of room.

Campground:Cove Creek RV Resort (PA)
Pigeon forge, TN
3293 Wears Valley Rd
Sevierville TN, 37862
Toll Free: (877) 570-2683

Also, 321 is fine too. Enjoy!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

Having visited the Gatlinburg area four times (96,97,98 and 08) we have stayed in several campgrounds. The one we last stayed at we enjoyed very much.

Twin Creek RV Resort

Here are some pictures of our site. Link

Very close to Gatlingburg with trolly service and a grocery store and gas across the street.

Generators can be used inside the park. Just make sure you observe the quiet times. What kind of generator are you bringing?

Can't 100% help you with all the roads you listed.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'll second that
Don't forget to shop at the "gift" shop
You'll find out about that when you check in
Great campground - sept 11
Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Generators can be used inside the park. Just make sure you observe the quiet times. What kind of generator are you bringing?
Actually wasn't thinking about bringing any genny, was just worried that everyone else would be running generators around us. Many years back while at a non-electric state park everyone and his brother had there portable gennys running all day long. We have the site reserved at Elkmont....now just looking for a private place for 3-4 days to recharge our batteries and do some laundry and then move to the southern side of the park most likely Smokemont.

I checked out your pictures (Bug512) and it's getting me pumped and planning different hiking routes. Choosing Elkmont and Smokemont gives me a lot of trails to link together.

Do you remember what the nightly rate for Twin Creek Resort is...I didn't see any thing listed on their website
Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Superslif,
Route 321 is okay for your TT and you. The quality of the road is very good. It is a bit winding, but should pose no threat. There is a steep climb out of Gatlinburg.

Route 19, my vote is no. Too much winding left and right.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #7

Here is the RV Park Reviews listing, looks like around $40ish per night.

Link

Do they have a generator free area to camp? They have this in the Shenandoah National Park.

Hiking, We loved the hike to Alum Cave Bluffs along with areas in the Greenbrier (less traveled) area and Cades Cove. Prior to our 2008 visit all our pictures are on print film. We could hike there every weekend if it was in our backyard. There are so many wildflowers and waterfalls.

Except for one year (1996) we have always visited the park in mid May and there was never a issue with traffic. The first year we visited we wrapped up our week there over Memorial Day weekend. Huge mistake. It got do crowded on Friday that we cut the vacation short and left on Saturday.

When do you plan on visiting? I have read nightmare stories about the traffic in the Cades Cove loop during peak season.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Plan to visit the middle 2 weeks of June. Would have liked to have visited in July, but was worried about getting a site at Elkmont. So, since making and getting a river front site at Elkmont earlier this week, now I have to reserve 3-4 days at a private park.

That Twin Creek place looks to be just the bill. Didn't really see any negative comments.....Just have to make sure they have laundry or there is one close by. I'll give them a call this week....Then next week I'll make a reservation for Smokemont. Can't wait... Being close to route 321 is a added plus. One of the other posters (GaryKD) suggested not to take route 19. Any suggested routes other than 19 to get to Cherokee / Smokemont?

Quote:
Hiking, We loved the hike to Alum Cave Bluffs along with areas in the Greenbrier (less traveled) area and Cades Cove. Prior to our 2008 visit all our pictures are on print film. We could hike there every weekend if it was in our backyard. There are so many wildflowers and waterfalls
Hoping that in mid June there will be some spring flowers left....

What are the temps. in Mid June. Elkmont is at 2100' elevation. I'm thinking the night time lows will be rather chilly (40's? ) even for mid June.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have checked out online the following RV parks located on route 321 East of Gatlinburg. Twin Creek, Camping in the Smokies, Trout Creek / Greenbrier Island, Outdoor Resorts, Adventure Bound (Crazyhorse), Arrow Creek, Smoky Bear.....

Any IRV2 members have anything to say about this list. Right now I'm leaning towards "Camping in the Smokies". Because it is on the trolley stop and is cheaper than the $60 -62 per-night I was quoted at Twin Creek's. Heard there was very limited parking in Gatlinburg. Only Twin Creek and Camping in the Smokies were on the trolley route, the others were anywhere from 6-16 miles outside of town on 321.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
I used to go to Smokemont almost every year for the fall color (95-02). Some generators but never noticed them that loud but then it was kinda cool so sitting outside was not that much. Most had really quiet Honda's or built little huts around there gens with some form of insulation. I had a Pickup camper or 16' TT and drove all over that area with no problems. But then all that was over 10 years ago
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #11

We stayed at Crazy Horse (It was not Adventure Bound) in 1996. It is a couple of miles outside of town so you will have a "commute" to and from.

We stayed in a tent then and enjoyed our time very much. Hey we were 26 then!

As I remember one entrance to the park was pretty much across the street. Definitely a little less traveled.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We stayed at Crazy Horse (It was not Adventure Bound) in 1996. It is a couple of miles outside of town so you will have a "commute" to and from.
My wife saw the pictures of that one which looked like it had that water slide thing for the kids, but the reviews for that park were not good. A lot of complaints for dirty restrooms and over all condition of the park....I looked on 3 different RV Campground review websites and all 3 had a lot of negative things to say.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #13

I read the same thing. In defense of campgrounds, restrooms are hard to keep clean during peak times of the year. There are a lot of people camping in ratio to bathrooms.

In 96 they were spotless. Then again it was in May before peak season. We used them then since we were tent camping.

I personally think for the convenience of town, shopping for supplies and cleanliness Twin Creek will be worth it. What is the cost difference? $20 per night?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have my bookends booked (Elkmont and Smokemont) now I just have to book a private campground. I hate it when a campground has pictures of it's place from 15 + years back.