Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Gulf Shores or New Orleans or both

We are currently in Natchez until after Christmas. From there we planned to head south to Baton Rouge then New Orleans.

We need to head west through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Yellowstone before heading back to Washington state in June.

We're struggling with how far east to go (this trip) before heading west. We're wondering if the Gulf Shores area (with the State park as a base?) is different enough from Fontainebleau state park as an example. Just do a day trip to Gulf Shores? If it's similar, we might just save it for a future trip to Florida for example. If it's different and not to be missed, we might spend more time in that area and go faster through Texas for example this trip.

Weather is also a concern for us in January and February. We don't mind cold but heat and humidity really drains us and impacts our desire to explore!

And finally, we aren't large crowds type people so we assumed we'd want to be long gone during Mardis Gras but not sure if that's a mistake!

Thank you for any perspectives since we have never been this far east or south in or travels yet!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

My Wife and I spent a month in the Gulf Shores area in Oct last year. We stayed at a RV resort called Lake Osprey in Elberta AL. The monthly rate for a 50 AMP full-hook up concrete pad (16'X75') site was $700 plus electricity which worked out to be $792.40. This was $26.42 a night for us. We had full use of the resort and it's all of the amenities. This rate was cheaper than any state park I have ever been at.

You will find the weather cool 60's in the day time and 40's at night with somewhat low humidity for that time of year.

One of the perks of the Gulf Shores area is this is close to the US Naval Air station Pensacola where the Blue Angles are station. The training flights are free to watch and will worth the time spent there. Another day trip is to Mobil AL to visit the USS Alabama BB ship memorial park.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

You aren't going to have bad humidity in Jan Feb. the weather could be anything from t shirts and shorts to jackets required, it just depends on what front is moving through at the time. If you want to experience Mardi Gras but are concerned with the crowds of New Orleans, consider Mobile Al. Mobile is actually where Mardi Gras originated. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach both have parades as well. I would definitely go to LA, lower Alabama, great area. Visit the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola while in the area also.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
My Wife and I spent a month in the Gulf Shores area in Oct last year. We stayed at a RV resort called Lake Osprey in Elberta AL. The monthly rate for a 50 AMP full-hook up concrete pad (16'X75') site was $700 plus electricity which worked out to be $792.40. This was $26.42 a night for us. We had full use of the resort and it's all of the amenities. This rate was cheaper than any state park I have ever been at.

You will find the weather cool 60's in the day time and 40's at night with somewhat low humidity for that time of year.

One of the perks of the Gulf Shores area is this is close to the US Naval Air station Pensacola where the Blue Angles are station. The training flights are free to watch and will worth the time spent there. Another day trip is to Mobil AL to visit the USS Alabama BB ship memorial park.
Thanks for the thoughts on that. We hadn't planned on being there for the month so we can't take advantage of lower fees. We just researched state park fees in AL and they are indeed very expensive. That makes me lean toward staying in LA and day trip there. Or save it for next time when we might stay for the month.

Thank you for responding!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
You aren't going to have bad humidity in Jan Feb. the weather could be anything from t shirts and shorts to jackets required, it just depends on what front is moving through at the time. If you want to experience Mardi Gras but are concerned with the crowds of New Orleans, consider Mobile Al. Mobile is actually where Mardi Gras originated. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach both have parades as well. I would definitely go to LA, lower Alabama, great area. Visit the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola while in the area also.
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback! Really helpful!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

I went to NOLA a few years ago, once was enough, but every one should do it once.

When we left SW Fla last March we went to gulf shores for a couple weeks, then on to NOLA for another week. The only reason we did NOLA again was the friends who were traveling (in there own MH) along with us, had never been there and really wanted to see it.

Absolutely loved Gulf Shores, and would go back there again someday. NOLA (bourbon st and that area)stunk like garbage and urine, same as it did the last time.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd R View Post
I went to NOLA a few years ago, once was enough, but every one should do it once.

When we left SW Fla last March we went to gulf shores for a couple weeks, then on to NOLA for another week. The only reason we did NOLA again was the friends who were traveling (in there own MH) along with us, had never been there and really wanted to see it.

Absolutely loved Gulf Shores, and would go back there again someday. NOLA (bourbon st and that area)stunk like garbage and urine, same as it did the last time.
Thanks for sharing that perspective. We're hearing nothing but good about the gulf shores area other than price(?) if we don't stay a month. I don't suppose there are any good free boondocking areas?!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
Thanks for sharing that perspective. We're hearing nothing but good about the gulf shores area other than price(?) if we don't stay a month. I don't suppose there are any good free boondocking areas?!
I don't know what price you're willing to pay but a quick look at Foley, Alabama a few miles north of Gulf Shores has this park at $165/week. There are many more in the area close to Gulf Shores. Check out http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/alabama/foley for Foley, Alabama for more options. It shows 57 parks in the area. Surely you can find one to fit your budget.

South Wind RV Park
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #9

If you are going to stay at a state park in Louisiana, and you happen to have a federal (national park, etc.) America the Beautiful senior or access pass, be aware that Louisiana is one of 4 states that accept the federal access pass for state park discounts.

p.s. where are you staying in Natchez? I have considered trying Riverview RV park across the bridge into Louisiana for a weekend getaway some time (I have relatives in the area)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If you are going to stay at a state park in Louisiana, and you happen to have a federal (national park, etc.) America the Beautiful senior or access pass, be aware that Louisiana is one of 4 states that accept the federal access pass for state park discounts.

p.s. where are you staying in Natchez? I have considered trying Riverview RV park across the bridge into Louisiana for a weekend getaway some time (I have relatives in the area)
Great to know! But darn, not until March!

And we are indeed at River View with a monthly rate so it's very affordable. The people are great, it's not crowded right now but if it were full it would be one right next to the other. Every other site has a pad with grass sites in between so it seems spacious if you don't have a grass neighbor! We love the front row in our class A with the big window facing the trees and the river. Can't see much of the river in a lot of the sites (including ours) but walks along the river are nice. The laundry is great, the pool and hot tub look really clean. So I would say this is fantastic for an RV park! We don't normally do RV park's because we prefer more room and scenery. As I recall the daily rate is typical of similar parks.

We did hear from a fellow Instagrammer that the Natches Welcome Center allows parking for up to two nights free.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't know what price you're willing to pay but a quick look at Foley, Alabama a few miles north of Gulf Shores has this park at $165/week. There are many more in the area close to Gulf Shores. Check out http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/alabama/foley for Foley, Alabama for more options. It shows 57 parks in the area. Surely you can find one to fit your budget.

South Wind RV Park
Because we like state and national parks and boondocking, I was referring to the more expensive state parks in Alabama (ie Gulf State park). We try to stay between $20-25 including fees and taxes. Up to $30 if it's really nice. Special occasions will take us places in super popular locations near cities for much higher for a limited time!

Our current travel style finds us moving along 4-7 days depending on how much there is to do or see or if we're trying to get somewhere. We hate making reservations and committing to a longer period of time preferring to have the flexibility of moving along when we're ready. But we did commit to a month here to settle down for Christmas (gasp!). We'll see how that goes! We joined a local church choir and are loving the community that brings!

Thanks for the links, we'll check them out!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
Great to know! But darn, not until March!

And we are indeed at River View with a monthly rate so it's very affordable. The people are great, it's not crowded right now but if it were full it would be one right next to the other. Every other site has a pad with grass sites in between so it seems spacious if you don't have a grass neighbor! We love the front row in our class A with the big window facing the trees and the river. Can't see much of the river in a lot of the sites (including ours) but walks along the river are nice. The laundry is great, the pool and hot tub look really clean. So I would say this is fantastic for an RV park! We don't normally do RV park's because we prefer more room and scenery. As I recall the daily rate is typical of similar parks.

We did hear from a fellow Instagrammer that the Natches Welcome Center allows parking for up to two nights free.
One thing I forgot to mention is the noise from a neighboring plant really bothered me at first rumbling all night. I'm getting used to it but I was hoping for peace and quiet except for the occasional barge passing by. It might not bother other folks.